Author Topic: Illegal Interference  (Read 728 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Illegal Interference
« on: December 10, 2023, 04:30:32 PM »
I watched parts of several FCS playoff games and a couple of Texas high school playoff games yesterday. Can’t remember in which game this happened. Toward the end of one of those games, the team leading in score punted. It was a short punt that landed near the pressbox sideline, bounced high, and a was dropping down and would have landed about 3’ out of bounds, but a squad member on that sideline stepped out into the restricted area (one foot actually in the field of play), and grabbed the untouched ball in the air before it landed. There were no players of either team near the spot where this action occurred. The F dropped a flag, which resulted in a lot of ignorant banter among the broadcast ‘talent.’ There were references to “illegal touching,” and other comments about this being a ‘penalty’ because the squad member had one foot in the field of play, as though it would have been OK if he was standing totally OB. Morons. The crew eventually (correctly) ruled UNS, and penalized the guilty team from the dead-ball spot (which would be correct regardless of which team committed the foul, i.e., PSK if receiving team, or spot where dead-ball belongs to B, if by kicking team).
So, exactly what is the foul? It is a 9–2-3-c Unfair Act, ‘interfering with the ball while it is in play.’ Had this player been in the team area (as defined), we certainly would not rule illegal interference. Even in the coaches box, which is only ‘supposed’ to be occupied by coaches, we wouldn’t rule anything illegal. But, once they get into the restricted area and interfere with a live ball or an opponent, then we must rule illegal interference. The rule allows the R to impose any penalty he thinks is equitable. A simple 15-yard penalty is appropriate, in this case (and 1 UNS on the fouling squad member’s UNS ‘counter’), which they did.
Never seen this happen before, so it is good action to discuss, and understand.

Offline ump_ben

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Re: Illegal Interference
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 10:07:04 PM »
Maybe I'm having trouble visualizing this, but if the ball was going to land out of bounds how did he catch it half inbounds?  And how exactly did this interfere with the game, by making it harder to spot the punt?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 01:27:09 AM »
Maybe I'm having trouble visualizing this, but if the ball was going to land out of bounds how did he catch it half inbounds?  And how exactly did this interfere with the game, by making it harder to spot the punt?

The trajectory of the ball coming down is not a straight line :) He interfered with the game by touching a live ball. Like Elvis said, we don't nitpick it when the action happens well outside the sideline but in the restricted area or in the field of play, yes, this needs to be flagged to discourage team personnel from doing it in a situation where it might actually matter (a player making a desperation play towards the sideline). The non-players must stay out of the restricted area while the ball is in play, period.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:51:39 AM »
The trajectory of the ball coming down is not a straight line :) He interfered with the game by touching a live ball. Like Elvis said, we don't nitpick it when the action happens well outside the sideline but in the restricted area or in the field of play, yes, this needs to be flagged to discourage team personnel from doing it in a situation where it might actually matter (a player making a desperation play towards the sideline). The non-players must stay out of the restricted area while the ball is in play, period.

:thumbup

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 10:29:14 AM »

OK, I'll confess that I wasn't as specific as, apparently, I needed to be. The heel of his left foot was just touching the sideline, and the rest of that foot was inbounds. He was standing in a bit of a crouching position, with the right foot split wide - probably 3' to 4' wide. So, when he 'caught' the ball, which was following an arching trajectory from inbounds to out of bounds, the ball - itself - was some 1 1/2 to 2 feet out of bounds, and would have actually landed farther out of bounds had it been allowed to continue on its trajectory to the ground.
How does it affect the game? About the same as an originally ineligible player of Team A being 8 yards downfield - and having contacted no one - when a LFP that crosses the NZ is thrown. About the same as when a wide receiver has the toes of his foot BEYOND the NZ when the ball is snapped in the NFL, and the pass is thrown to somebody else. They are still righteous fouls, and need to be called. And those in charge of these things tell us to make these calls.
That's good enough for me.

Offline Cowtown Ref

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 02:27:35 PM »
Was actually the game I was working.

Yeah we had all never seen anything like that.

But agreed that UNS/Illegal participation was the appropriate course of action.

Also had a "hide out" play that we got.

Was quite an interesting night and good game.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 05:26:29 PM »
I just want to clarify that there is no such thing as “illegal participation” in NCAA football rules. (Yes, there was, at one time, but that was changed many years ago.) Yes, by stepping on the field, very technically, the fouling player committed a foul for illegal substitution. That’s a live-ball foul with a 5-yard penalty from the previous spot and repeat the down. He also committed a foul for Game Administration Interference for not being behind the coaching line while the ball was in play. That’s administered as a dead-ball foul, but is just a warning for the first infraction, which this would have been. But, this is also an 9-2-3-c Unfair Act, and UNS for interfering with the ball while it is in play. In this case, the fouling team was the receiving team, so the 15-yard penalty would be enforced per PSK rules, thus, from the ‘end of get the kick,’ which was also the dead-ball spot. This specific action does not have a rule-specified name. You could announce something like, “Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Unfair Act, interfering with a live ball by a non-player,” or some such. But, I would strongly recommend that the announcement be something simpler and fully comprehensible like, “Illegal Interference with the ball in play, number 33, receiving team. That’s a 15-yard penalty, enforced from the spot where the ball belongs to the receiving team. First down. That’s number 33’s first unsportsmanlike conduct foul of the game.”

I mostly just wanted to remind everybody that there is no such language in NCAA rules as “illegal participation.”