Author Topic: Proposed Editorial Changes  (Read 376 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Proposed Editorial Changes
« on: March 08, 2024, 10:50:42 PM »
A proposed editorial change would require a player that wears a number other than the one to which he is associated in the “game day roster” to report the number change to the Referee. If he doesn’t report, we are to call a UNS on him. Well, how do we know? John Smith enters the game wearing 79, but he is listed on their roster as 77.  I am fairly certain that FBS officials have never been presented with “game day rosters.” How would we know Smith from Jones?
I suppose their opponent will recognize this and alert the officials, but that means that the officials will have to be provided with the ‘official’ “game day rosters,” and have them on the field with them (?). Bad rule change. As it is written, the conference should assign some conference folks to monitor the games for these violations, and issue big fines for violations.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Proposed Editorial Changes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 10:15:49 AM »
I'm failing to see what the change is.  Haven't teams always reported number changes to the Referee?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Proposed Editorial Changes
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 10:41:08 AM »
I'm failing to see what the change is.  Haven't teams always reported number changes to the Referee?

With this editorial change, if they enter the game with a number different than what is on the “game day roster,” they must report that to the referee. How do we know what number they were supposed to be wearing, per the “game day roster”?  So, if they don’t report, how will we know they didn’t report? If he was wearing a number during the first series of the game, and then we see the same guy come out with a different number, we might stand a chance of knowing that. But, with this editorial change, we may be expected to keep a roster in our pocket and check player numbers and ask them to identify themselves….yeah. Right.
I imagine that the opposing team will bring a number change to our attention.
This should be a conference issue. If Team X plays a guy with multiple numbers, Team Y should report that to the conference office, and the conference should issue a big fine to stop that crap. But it doesn’t really affect game officials. Leave us out of that.