Author Topic: NFL bans hip drop tackles  (Read 319 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
NFL bans hip drop tackles
« on: March 25, 2024, 11:25:04 AM »
https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1772281005140783301?s=20

The NFL has made hip drop tackles a foul - will NCAA (and then lower levels) eventually do the same?

I'm undecided on whether or not I think this is a good rule.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 02:20:46 PM by dammitbobby »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: NFL bans hip drop tackles
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 02:15:17 PM »
I have a really good idea. Let’s issue every player two safety orange ribbons, each about 16” long, that attach to a Velcro patch on their belts, on each side of their hips. Instead of tackling and bringing a BC to the ground, the defender just pulls the ribbon off the BC, which means he is down at that point. Much safer.
Who’s in?

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 02:22:56 PM »
I'd be curious to know the stats on how often this occurs in a game. I can see where it's safer for players, but they haven't outlawed hit stick tackles either (yet) so I've no idea how this will impact the game. I don't envy the officials having to decide in real time what is, and is not, a foul for this.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 08:34:56 AM »
You are too late.  The NFL did this several years ago.  It is called the Pro Bowl.  Pretty soon every game will look like the last several Pro Bowls that were supposed to be full contact.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 09:58:16 AM »
It's funny they call it a safety issues, except that the NFLPA is against the rule that is supposedly for their safety

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 10:00:10 AM »
You are too late.  The NFL did this several years ago.  It is called the Pro Bowl.  Pretty soon every game will look like the last several Pro Bowls that were supposed to be full contact.

There once was a time where there wasn't a lot of fuss, about minimizing injuries.  The game was called "Gladiatorial" then, and everything was allowed. Playing careers were somewhat shorter then, for most, but the games were really popular and crowds, supposedly, were huge.

Online TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 11:48:15 AM »
All in all, it seems that once the horse collar was prohibited, that this technique evolved. 
Both similar takedowns. Grab at the torso, fall against his lower body