Author Topic: Official Shortage  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
Official Shortage
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »
With the many stories out there about the officiating shortage being caused in part by the disrespect shown by parents/fans.  Hypothetically, If you had the opportunity to make a presentation to parents/fans and if that conversation could be a respectful exchange....what message(s) would you most want to relay to that audience?
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Official Shortage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:21:46 PM »
"If you don't like the officials at your games, there is a way to change it. Become officials yourselves."  Then there would be a bit on information for specific associations.

"Understand that your kids/neighbors are not college or professional athletes, and that the rules of high school football differ from college or NFL football." Here, there would be specific examples, as well as time to address questions about specific rules.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
the rules of high school football differ from college or NFL football." Here, there would be specific examples, as well as time to address questions about specific rules.

AMEN!!!+1

Remind parents that youth games are often officiated by new, young officials.  They make mistakes just like young players do.

Offline sj

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
That research shows that whenever fans open their mouths in the stands about a call or a rule they are wrong 98% of the time.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:40:31 AM »
I do several :45+ bits for a local sports radio station every year and start with: "Before you boo, know the rules!" and then explain how a rule differs from other codes. I end the bit by saying : "Enjoy the game but please remember  ,the game is only a game. The 'enemy' on the opposite sidelines are only kids ,like yours or your neighbors. It's a learning experience for them, partly learning sportsmanship. Be a good sport and help teach them that."

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 11:11:09 AM »
to add to these good points, I would add my observations:
Often spectators will be screaming/yeelling while the same team's coaching staff is not saying one word.  Hmmmm, if the coaches are not upset, why would the spectators?

Also regarding the rules, the local cable network does a 'game of the week' like many other cities.  They do a good job too.
EXCEPT the announcers know nothing about HS rules which obviously makes the officials look bad - because announcers know everything, right?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:20:14 AM by TampaSteve »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »
Regarding the first question- everybody knows the spectators know more than the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »

Also regarding the rules, the local cable network does a 'game of the week' like many other cities.  They do a good job too.
EXCEPT the announcers know nothing about HS rules which obviously makes the officials look bad - because announcers know everything, right?

So we actually hear things like “The QB was clearly outside the tackle box so that can’t be Intentional Grounding.  The refs (he never calls us officials) really missed one there,” or “ The defender clearly got back before the snap, so that shouldn’t be called encroachment.”  Thanks for giving me the chance to vent Steve.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »

So we actually hear things like “The QB was clearly outside the tackle box so that can’t be Intentional Grounding.  The refs (he never calls us officials) really missed one there,” or “ The defender clearly got back before the snap, so that shouldn’t be called encroachment.”  Thanks for giving me the chance to vent Steve.

Maybe send them a letter?

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »
Sending a letter only works if the recipient can read.  When announcers make comments like these, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that they can't read either.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »

Perhaps a couple of your officials could provide them with a list of the major differences and sit down with them (over an adult beverage, maybe) before the season to explain those differences.  It might also give you a chance to show them that we are human & cultivate some good will.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »

Common taters like fans get their rules "as seen on tv"
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 11:27:29 PM »
Common taters like fans get their rules "as seen on tv"

Right, that's why I would send them a letter and maybe highlight a few rule differences.  Assuming they're professionals, they'll probably take it seriously.  If it's local-yokel cable access, then maybe not.

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
You must unlearn what you have learned!

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »
I am aware that we lose officials due to fan abuse but what we are beginning to see is that a lot of employers are not being as flexible in allowing their employees the ability to leave early for games.  I'm not sure how the rest of the country is but in Texas, high school football plays a HUGE role in the overall shape of the economy.  I am quite certain that no matter what profession you are in, you are benefited in some way financially due to high school football.  If football went away due to no officials, those professions would feel some impact on the loss.  I just wish we could show them that and get them to be part of the team in allowing anyone who has the desire to officiate to do so.