Author Topic: What's your standard equipment on the field?  (Read 13310 times)

Offline OkieZebra

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
What's your standard equipment on the field?
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »
I'm not brand new, but I feel like it sometimes, and I'm just looking to see what other people do gear wise on the football field. I have what amounts to two years of experience with NFHS, and some more doing intramurals in college before that, which helped and hurt in a few ways (for example, we all carried two flags at our belts when possible, just because players were hotheaded enough that it came in handy - but that definitely seems to not be the done thing at other levels).

My current loadout is generally:  beanbag at left hip, flag at right hip, spare flag in back right pocket, golf pencil in back left pocket, whistle on lanyard at neck (generally on the one that clips to the zipper), second whistle inside the shirt, book with game card and pencil in left pocket (used to be in the breast pocket, but I kept losing my pencils), car key and 3rd whistle in right pocket (I'm probably just paranoid, but I've lost one whistle before and been thankful for the backup, and I'd hate to lose both and be silent, or for a crew member to be silent for some reason), down indicator on right wrist, possible second one on left wrist if umpiring.

I'd love advice from any and all positions. What do you carry, and where do you keep it? Any suggestions for a good watch for on the field? I'm in the market for one. (Also, why are there so dang many bean bag colors out there?)

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
Re: What's your standard equipment on the field?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:24:57 AM »
Mostly umpire.
I carry my flag on my left side (left handed). Bean bag on right. Game card with cover in my shirt pocket. I stopped using pencils and switch to these small pens you can get at Staples. Cleat gauge in my shirt pocket.
Lanyard whistle. Finger Whistle. Down indicator on both wrist. I usually keep a spare flag in my back pocket with the pocket buttoned. This makes it hard for me to use it so I don't get flag happy.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:33:45 AM »
Bag to the left, flag right.

Lanyard whistle.   Card wallet, paper card, plastic card for rain-rubber band around the wallet, pen in shirt pocket.

Left hip: bag for box man, finger whistle.  right hip: car key

Left rear: spare clip, bullet pencil

Zip tie for chains in hat liner

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:08:29 AM »
flag1: L hip (i'm a lefty)
bag: R hip
flag2: rear left pocket
pencil, game card & the black thingie the card goes in: shirt pocket.
(I put a rubber band over the black thingie so it stays in the pocket)
lanyard & whistle around my neck.
down indicater & watch on right hand. (if working U, a 2nd down indicator on L wrist)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »
What you carry with you is important, and there are some excellent suggestions above (especially the zip tie, or cable tie, in your hat band, in case a chain breaks).  Where you choose to carry the different items is entirely a matter of where you are comfortable carrying them effectively. 

Where you carry a flag, or any other piece of equipment we use, is not nearly as important as how effectively you can access it when you need to.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
I carry 1 flag on my right side, 1 flag in my right pocket, lanyard whistle and a finger whistle. My bean bag on my left side extra bean bag in my left pocket , game card, mechanical pencil and penalty chart in my shirt pocket and a zip tie in my hat band. Last year in a varsity game we needed it, both coaches were impressed as we were back in action in a few minutes.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline OkieZebra

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »
Definitely going to steal the idea of the zip ties in the hat band.  tiphat:

How do you guys make the finger whistle and down indicator combo work? It seems like they would get in each other's way.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:12 PM »
Whistle on left hand; down indicator on right.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:44 PM »
As a HL I carried a small folding pocket knife in order to cut the layers tape used to mark the midpoint off the chains.  I also carried an 8" piece of tape folded together lengthwise that I would then slip through the middle chain link and tie in a knot.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Re: What's your standard equipment on the field?
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 06:08:35 AM »
Definitely going to steal the idea of the zip ties in the hat band.  tiphat:

How do you guys make the finger whistle and down indicator combo work? It seems like they would get in each other's way.
I tried a finger whistle once and that was my issue. I changed back at halftime.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:33:12 AM »
We usually wear our jackets to the field. As a white hat, I'll be carrying the following items in it : (1) An air pressure gauge - no I don't measure every football but it becomes a good "tie-breaker" if the umpire & I feel the ball is underinflated and the coach doesn't feel that it is. (2) A marker to indicate the ball is approved. (3)A rulebook - rarely needed but good to have. (4) An extra game card & pencil. (5) Of course, a  sNiCkErS bar just in case the umpire has that starved look in his eyes before the halftime refreshments :)! NOTE : It is the LJ's duty to securely store the crew's jackets neatly in an unused garbage bag during the game.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
Mostly umpire.
I carry my flag on my left side (left handed). Bean bag on right. Game card with cover in my shirt pocket. I stopped using pencils and switch to these small pens you can get at Staples. Cleat gauge in my shirt pocket.
Lanyard whistle. Finger Whistle. Down indicator on both wrist. I usually keep a spare flag in my back pocket with the pocket buttoned. This makes it hard for me to use it so I don't get flag happy.

CLEAT GAUGE????????Really? :!#

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »
I always carry my bean bag near my flag. What happens when you move your hand toward your flag, finish processing the play and decide no foul or not to call the foul (no impact on play)? That coach may see the movement and question you. You can tell him you were anticipating having to use the bean bag.

Even if you screw up and throw the wrong one, no harm done, just explain what happened.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:41:57 AM »

If you have the Honig's plastic game card, you already have one.

Offline jlesseig

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
watch?

Casio W756B-1AV

already has timers for time intervals for most major sports - NFHS football quarters 12 minutes, check - and one button to start and stop as well as easy reset after interval expires.

think I paid $20 and it's been perfect since I got it
But dreams don't need to have motion
To keep their spark alive
Obsession has to have action-
Pride turns on the drive

- Mission, Rush

Kevin Olson

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »
When using a finger whistle, run the down indicator over the palm side of your hand.  Works perfectly.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »
For what it's worth.  Although I've never worked baseball, from the beginning I was taught to use a "Ball/Strike" indicator, which I hold in the palm of the hand on which I wear a finger whistle.  It fits within the palm, with the control of the (4) ball counter lined up with your thumb.  It doesn't interfere with catching, handling or otherwise dealing with a football.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 12:21:18 AM »
A few years ago we had multiple issues with cleats in our area. Started carrying one then and it has just stuck with me.

Offline toma

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Bag bean to the left of my belt buckle and flag to my right. A second flag in right hip pocket not sticking out and a second bean bag in my left front pocket to keep me from losing my sliver dollar coin.
I carry zip ties in my bag and make sure my HL has one in his hat when we leave for the field. Once a HL worked with me he'll always have it unless he somewhere down the line he has to use it.  On my left hand I have a key ring with a whistle on it. The ring is large enough to go over my middle finger. I never could get use to the regular finger whistle. I flip it over the back side of my hand when handling the ball writing or giving signals and flip it back into my palm of my hand ready for use. It easily slides off my finger when needed. I wear the down indicator on left hand and it helps hold that whistle when not needed. It works for me. My game card (paper) on a dry day, plastic on a rainy day. On the card I'll record QB's L/R handed, whats his first name. I find it always easier to talk them when to call them by their first name.  Punters L/R Kickers L/R.  I know it may seam like a lot going on there whatever works for you go with it.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
For what it's worth.  Although I've never worked baseball, from the beginning I was taught to use a "Ball/Strike" indicator, which I hold in the palm of the hand on which I wear a finger whistle.  It fits within the palm, with the control of the (4) ball counter lined up with your thumb.  It doesn't interfere with catching, handling or otherwise dealing with a football.
I know big time baseball umpires that are encouraged NOT to carry a ball/strike indicator.
The rationale is they should be into the game so much that an indicator should not be needed.
Certainly though one for football is all but absolutely necessary in my opinion.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
My gear:

One flag showing on right hip.  One bean bag on left hip.  One flag not visible in my front pocket.

Finger whistle left hand.  Down indicator right hand.  Slide indicator on left wrist if working U or R.  Watch on left wrist if needed for timing.  Lanyard whistle worn around my neck but tucked in under my shirt.

Game card holder and regular red click pen both in breast pocket.

If working H in a college game, a clip board with my linesman clips attached and foul sheet.

Creased (boxed) hat.

Patent leather belt.

Offline jwkde

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
stupid question from a new guy.  Why keep the flag under the belt (in front) instead of your back pocket?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 08:45:02 PM »
 Coaches behind you can't see you reach for your flag if its in front and you opt not to throw.

Offline jwkde

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 07:13:07 AM »
OK thanks

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
Coaches behind you can't see you reach for your flag if its in front and you opt not to throw.

With all due respect, that only becomes a factor if you are intimidated by inappropriate comments, some coaches may choose to offer.  Those comments can easily, and best, be ignored, or if it becomes necessary,
dealt with.