Author Topic: Punt play  (Read 4897 times)

NJOfficial

Punt play
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:16:49 PM »
K 4th and 10 from K 10.  Its a bad snap and K5 picks up ball at K3 and intentionally throws the ball out of the back of the endzone.  Whats the call?

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
Re: Punt play
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:28:40 PM »
There is no foul, any player can throw a backward pass.  K forced the ball out of its own end zone, so its a safety.  2 points for the defense, K free kicks from its own 20.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »
sir55 has it right.  Let's add a little more just for edification.  In FED, not only can anyone throw a backward pass, they can do it from anywhere, for any reason.  The same is NOT true in the NCAA or NFL, where a backward pass cannot be thrown OOB in order to conserve time.

NJOfficial

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:27:54 AM »
I had asked someone about this and they thought it would be intentional grounding, but I don't think you can have intentional grounding on a backward pass.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »
Intentionally grounding is a form of an illegal forward pass (7-5-2-d,e).  In Fed rules, there are only illegal forward passes, not illegal backward passes.

NJOfficial

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »
Intentionally grounding is a form of an illegal forward pass (7-5-2-d,e).  In Fed rules, there are only illegal forward passes, not illegal backward passes.

Thank You, I tried explaining that but he was still doubting me.  Maybe I will send him link to this topic.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
Thank You, I tried explaining that but he was still doubting me.  Maybe I will send him link to this topic.

Yes, it seems like 'intentional grounding', but it's not a legal forward pass, so it can't be.

Just like if a running back ran the ball 20 yards down the field, and then intentionally threw the ball forward out-of-bounds with nobody around. That's not 'intentional grounding' either - it meets all the requirements BUT being a LEGAL forward pass.

Same with your play, it has to be both a forward pass and a LEGAL forward pass. A backwards pass is neither.

bdalyatwork

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
In this case, the punter simply fumbled the ball out of the back of the end zone.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 09:29:28 AM »
In this case, the punter simply fumbled the ball out of the back of the end zone.
Officially, he did not.  A fumble is loss of player possession other than by handing, passing or a legal kick.  He passed it out of the back of the end zone.

To a layman he did, just like there are forward laterals and offside penalties.  But if you are here, I assume you are an official, or want to understand the game like one.  To an official, this isn't a fumble.

Online CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Punt play
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 09:33:45 AM »
Good post AB. Sounds picky but words are vitally important when discussing and applying rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »

Ignorance can usually be corrected by simply providing relevant information, unfortunately correcting STUPID
is a far more complicated process, that sometimes proves uncorrectable.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
Ignorance can usually be corrected by simply providing relevant information, unfortunately correcting STUPID
is a far more complicated process, that sometimes proves uncorrectable.
Ain't that the truth.