Author Topic: Foul by B in the end zone  (Read 10366 times)

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Foul by B in the end zone
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »
:thumbup An easy way to determine if it was a loose ball play or running play = If the ball became loose BEHIND the LOS it could become a loose ball play by RULE. If the ball became loose BEYOUND the LOS or after COP it would become a running play BY RULE. A team with "fumbleitis" could have several running plays during the down, but only one loose ball play :thumbup. Hope this helps.
Got that, but here's where I have trouble.  Once the ball crosses the LOS, if it comes back behind the LOS again and is lost, philosophically, I don't think that should be a loose ball play.  I know the rule doesn't differentiate whether the ball crossed the LOS or not, but I think it should.

But that also means we would have to outlaw an A player making a forward pass once the ball crosses the LOS, which is also a good thing.  Both the colleges and pros disallow it, I'm all for FED getting rid of it as well.

EXAMPLE:  Toss to tailback, who runs around right end.  He crosses the LOS, which should be a signal that the team has committed to a running play, just like a lineman moving downfield.  DBs start abandoning receivers and coming up to make the tackle.  Suddenly, the tailback tosses the ball back to the QB who has followed the play but is behind the line, and he throws a pass downfield.  Illegal in NCAA and NFL, legal in FED.  Shouldn't be.

I also know given other issues, there isn't a chance in heck this will come up before the committee.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
Got that, but here's where I have trouble.  Once the ball crosses the LOS, if it comes back behind the LOS again and is lost, philosophically, I don't think that should be a loose ball play.  I know the rule doesn't differentiate whether the ball crossed the LOS or not, but I think it should.

But that also means we would have to outlaw an A player making a forward pass once the ball crosses the LOS, which is also a good thing.  Both the colleges and pros disallow it, I'm all for FED getting rid of it as well.

EXAMPLE:  Toss to tailback, who runs around right end.  He crosses the LOS, which should be a signal that the team has committed to a running play, just like a lineman moving downfield.  DBs start abandoning receivers and coming up to make the tackle.  Suddenly, the tailback tosses the ball back to the QB who has followed the play but is behind the line, and he throws a pass downfield.  Illegal in NCAA and NFL, legal in FED.  Shouldn't be.

I also know given other issues, there isn't a chance in heck this will come up before the committee.

And just to confuse us more LOL, here's a "reverse-twist".  If a lineman goes down field during a play where a legal forward pass  crosses the line (ultimately..my Ed), he cannot return behind the LOS and make himself "legal".  Fix it Ralph pray:;

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »
AYUH, tried to last year as there was a proposal in to rule any forward pass after ball crossed the LOS to be illegal. It never survived the committee that it was assigned to (not mine), but I was eagerly poised with my MAINE paddle to vote AYE if it had 'er showed up. :( 'Spect the were worried that the umpire sNiCkErS might git too dizzy watching 'er to figure it all out. hEaDbAnG Maybe next/this year. hEaDbAnG hEaDbAnG

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »
A running play can be turned into a loose ball play if one of the qualifers happens afterwards.

REPLY: This basic premise is incorrect. A running play can NEVER become a loose ball play. So when your QB scrambled and threw the pass, that scrambling is part of the loose ball play. Just because he was "running" during the scramble doesn't make it a running play.

A down may consist of: (a) a loose ball play only, (b) a loose balll play followed by one or more running plays, or (c) one or more running plays.

There can never be more than one loose ball play during a down, nor can there be a running play followed by a loose ball play.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:55:42 PM by Bob M. »
Bob M.

ALStripes17

Re: Re: Foul by B in the end zone
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
REPLY: This basic premise is incorrect. A running play can NEVER become a loose ball play. So when your QB scrambled and threw the pass, that scrambling is part of the loose ball play. Just because he was "running" during the scramble doesn't make it a running play.

A down may consist of: (a) a loose ball play only, (b) a loose balll play followed by one or more running plays, or (c) one or more running plays.

There can never be more than one loose ball play during a down, nor can there be a running play followed by a loose ball play.
But up until the actual pass, it was a running play .... then the whole thing becomes a loose ball play. 

I wanna believe that's what the previous guy was saying.  *shrug*

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
Re: Re: Foul by B in the end zone
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
But up until the actual pass, it was a running play .... then the whole thing becomes a loose ball play. 

I wanna believe that's what the previous guy was saying.  *shrug*

Yes, this. If he's tackled before he throws the pass, that "QB scrambling" is just a running play.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 02:36:53 PM »
We sent this play to our State Rules interpreter who believes 10-4-7 does not apply but he is not 100% confident so it was sent up to NFHS. When I get something back I will post it.