Author Topic: Pass Interference?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Pass Interference?
« on: October 03, 2021, 07:07:03 AM »
3rd and 16 at the 50 yard line.  QB drops back to pass and is scrambling for his life when from the A35 he throws a "safety valve" forward pass to running back A-25 who is contacted by linebacker B-52 clearly well before the ball arrives.  We have 2 flags down at the spot of the "early contact".

a.  The pass lands untouched by either team at the A49 and the "early contact" spot is the A48.  What do we have?

b.  The pass lands untouched by either team at the B47  and the "early contact" spot is the B48.  What do we have?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 08:54:19 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Pass Interference?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 09:54:20 AM »
7-5-7 and 7-5-10 state that pass interference may only occur beyond the neutral zone, by either A or B, and the pass must cross the neutral zone. Therefore, in Situation A you'd have a defensive holding foul (contacting an eligible receiver who is not a potential blocker), but not PI.

In Situation B the ball and the contact are both beyond the neutral zone, so that would be pass interference.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 10:09:46 AM »
I need to see the contact in the first situation. If the defender tackles the would be receiver then yeah, defensive holding. But he’s legal to contact the guy behind the line, especially if the defender is upfield from the would be receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 10:43:21 AM »
I should amend my statement slightly, and agree you would have to see the play to know for sure. If A25 had been blocking on the line, then quickly turned around to catch the outlet pass, then contact by the linebacker could be a legal block.

If it was very obvious that A25 was NOT blocking and just waiting for the outlet pass, even if the defender was upfield, then it could be a foul. If it's questionable, I'd make it a legal block.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 12:54:59 PM »
I should amend my statement slightly, and agree you would have to see the play to know for sure. If A25 had been blocking on the line, then quickly turned around to catch the outlet pass, then contact by the linebacker could be a legal block.

If it was very obvious that A25 was NOT blocking and just waiting for the outlet pass, even if the defender was upfield, then it could be a foul. If it's questionable, I'd make it a legal block.

NFHS Case Book 7.5.6. a & b address this situation.