Author Topic: back Court Violation?  (Read 9463 times)

Sjref

back Court Violation?
« on: January 18, 2010, 03:43:20 PM »
Team A in possession. Ball is passed to A2 at top of arc when it tipps off his hands and heads towards half court. A2 taps the ball back into the front court, his momentum takes him back court, establishes himself back in the front court and is the first to touch the ball.

Is this a violation?

I had a seasoned V offical correct my call, well no call, and enforce a BC violation. I havent had time to find it in rule book, but had another offical tell me that the play was legal, figured this was a good place to find out

if anyone can refer me to the rule book or case book section would be great.

thanks

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: back Court Violation?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
Need more information before I can answer. Did the ball actually make its way into the back court? Your statement "...tipps (sic) off his hands and heads towards half court..." leads me to believe the ball never left front court. Please clarify.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Sjref

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:47:21 AM »
correct. Ball never went back court. I felt it was legal, verteran said it was a violation? How can it be back court if ball never went back right? 

was there a different violation?

thanks

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »
Based on your description, there is no violation on this play.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »
Based on your description, there is no violation on this play.

Agreed.  The ball never had BC status.

Offline ftalerico

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:39:33 PM »
Definitely no BC violation since ball never entered BC

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »
Next time a vet does that, blow it off and just call traveling, carrying the ball, or double dribble and get the ball back in the right hands!  It would even be great if you did it right in front of him!

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
Next time a vet does that, blow it off and just call traveling, carrying the ball, or double dribble and get the ball back in the right hands!  It would even be great if you did it right in front of him!

I don't like compounding an error with a fabricated call.  Just say no to "makeup calls".  ^no

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:23 PM »
I don't like compounding an error with a fabricated call.  Just say no to "makeup calls".  ^no

That's good advice Welpe.

An error is an error.  The best thing to do is to re-focus and move on.  Trying to "make up for the error" means committing another blunder.  Why make more mistakes - on purpose?  One team got the short end of the stick.  Over enough time, it will happen to every team.  And in other news, Bob's your uncle.

JBT43

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
Case Book ruling - 4.35.2 c. I've unfortunately had several experienced officials try to enforce an out of bounds violation on a simular play where a player loses control of the ball, tips it back into play before going out of bounds and retrieves it after falling OOB himself. Once a player re-establishes himself in bounds he can be the first to touch the ball under NF rules. Now college is different.

maven

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
Case Book ruling - 4.35.2 c. I've unfortunately had several experienced officials try to enforce an out of bounds violation on a simular play where a player loses control of the ball, tips it back into play before going out of bounds and retrieves it after falling OOB himself. Once a player re-establishes himself in bounds he can be the first to touch the ball under NF rules. Now college is different.

There is no such thing as "re-establishing himself inbounds." A player is either inbounds or out: he is in if he has something in and nothing out, and otherwise he is out. If in the air, his location is determined by where he last touched the floor, in or out.

If a player's location is OOB and he touches the ball, then he causes the ball to be OOB. Otherwise, the play is legal. I don't believe NCAA is different on this issue.

JBT43

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »
I agree!

GameWillTravel

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »
Were you working a 2 man or 3 man crew in this game.