Author Topic: Officials' error calls back go-ahead touchdown  (Read 57860 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Officials' error calls back go-ahead touchdown
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »
actually consider this "extended eye shade"? 

In NC, yes we do.  I know of at least one AT who carries baby wipes in her kit to clean them up after warm-ups.

No different than looking for bicep bands, play cards on the belt, lettering on towels, and those pesky NOCSAE stamps in pre-game.

Towel police, I really hate being the towel police.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2014, 01:48:22 PM »
The restriction on extended eye shadow was to include face painting as such. Examples that were circulated included ones such as "angel of death skeleton face", "black face" and such. While these might be acceptable at a Haloween party, or some ghoulish prom ;they are not acceptable 0n the football fields (at least in Maine) as their only intent is to draw attention to ones self. A better method is a score a few touchdowns and act like you've been there before. :)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
Towel police, I really hate being the towel police.

I absolutely refuse to accept that designation.  Policing those issues is clearly and ENTIRELY a game management responsibility that is best, and most easily, totally eliminated at the very first Team meeting of the season when the Head Coach explains to his players what they can and cannot do IF THEY WANT TO ACTUALLY PLAY IN THE GAMES.

Offline Bomber66

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »
Don't laugh. I know of at least one state that has a rule against face painting.

Hmmm wonder what state that is?   ;D

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
I absolutely refuse to accept that designation.  Policing those issues is clearly and ENTIRELY a game management responsibility that is best, and most easily, totally eliminated at the very first Team meeting of the season when the Head Coach explains to his players what they can and cannot do IF THEY WANT TO ACTUALLY PLAY IN THE GAMES.
deadhorse:

Yup, works every time, that big meeting in the summer. 

And we saw how well Moses with the stone tablets worked for the rest of the world too.
 ::)

Martin Kiff

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2014, 11:03:10 PM »
We enforce the eye black rule in California.  I spent last Friday's pregame looking and finding a number of violations.  With the head honcho of officials in attendance my crew was checking everything.  Here is the problem.  If you let so called "minor rules" go during the season, it is then up to the playoff and championship crews to clean up the mess.  I have been told numerous times by coaches, during the playoffs that, "We've been doing it all season."  It's not fair to the coaches, players and officials to pass on any rule during the season.  Whether you agree with the rule or not It doesn't give us the right to pass on anything in the rule book.  I'm sure the coach in the OK game spent the whole season standing on the sideline.  I watched the Union vs Jinx 6A OK final while the judge was deliberating and both coaches called their plays standing on the field, right next to a flank official who never said a word.  We're far from perfect out west but I do know that next season I'm enforcing the sideline rule right out of the rule book.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
deadhorse:

Yup, works every time, that big meeting in the summer. 

And we saw how well Moses with the stone tablets worked for the rest of the world too.
 ::)      yEs:

Need any help getting your tongue dislodged from your cheek? LOL

We enforce the eye black rule in California.  I spent last Friday's pregame looking and finding a number of violations.  With the head honcho of officials in attendance my crew was checking everything.

Hey, as I said, if your State Association dictates this, you play by their interpretations. :angel:

Here is the problem.  If you let so called "minor rules" go during the season, it is then up to the playoff and championship crews to clean up the mess.  I have been told numerous times by coaches, during the playoffs that, "We've been doing it all season."  It's not fair to the coaches, players and officials to pass on any rule during the season.  Whether you agree with the rule or not It doesn't give us the right to pass on anything in the rule book. 

Well, except in those states where the interpretation is that any painting of the face is to be penalized or "corrected" before participation, I still don't see where the FED rule extends to painting your face black, red , or purple. Even in Ralph's examples, the restrictions sighted were of an offensive nature - which could be justifiable, I guess.  But, Ralph, if every player painted his face red, would that mean any one player is trying to draw attention to himself?   

I'm sure the coach in the OK game spent the whole season standing on the sideline.  I watched the Union vs Jinx 6A OK final while the judge was deliberating and both coaches called their plays standing on the field, right next to a flank official who never said a word.  We're far from perfect out west but I do know that next season I'm enforcing the sideline rule right out of the rule book.

Nobody's perfect; and you have to do what you have to do; but I'd hope your evaluations would be based on actual, meaningful calls during the contest. 

All I'm saying is that we have a lot more important issues to manage during a game than face painting (and towels...and NOCSAE lables...and gloves...!)

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »
Face paining is illegal.  One of the preseason rule clinic presentations with the pictures was clear on the face paint issue a couple of years ago.  One stripe, directly under the eye, no words, logos, etc in the stripe.

No arrows, tears, tiger stripes, etc.  This isn't a KISS concert.  One stripe directly under the eye, period.  Just like a bicep band issue or something similar, I would never expect a flag, but I would expect a "fix it if you want to play".

Offline Suudy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
No arrows, tears, tiger stripes, etc.  This isn't a KISS concert.  One stripe directly under the eye, period.  Just like a bicep band issue or something similar, I would never expect a flag, but I would expect a "fix it if you want to play".
Who's KISS?  ;)

Offline Curious

« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
Face paining is illegal.  One of the preseason rule clinic presentations with the pictures was clear on the face paint issue a couple of years ago.  One stripe, directly under the eye, no words, logos, etc in the stripe.

When was this preseason meeting given AB?  Was it a national POE (I'm being serious)?  I've been attending our state meetings for more years than I want to admit and this issue has never been discussed.  Maybe we're not as "artistic" as other states here in Michigan; so it hasn't been a "problem" yEs:

Who's KISS?  ;)

More like whose kiss???? nAnA

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
When was this preseason meeting given AB?  Was it a national POE (I'm being serious)?  I've been attending our state meetings for more years than I want to admit and this issue has never been discussed.  Maybe we're not as "artistic" as other states here in Michigan; so it hasn't been a "problem" yEs:

It was in the national presentation that is sent out by the NFHS to go over that's year's rule changes, the one with the pictures.  I believe it's actually prepared by Referee Ragazine, but it is distibuted by the NFHS.

It had diagrams showing "legal" and "illegal".  Legal included only a single stripe under the eye, illegal included something you might see on WWE, as well as eye stripes with words in them.

Would have been about 3 years ago.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
So none of this:

or this:

Offline BBref

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »
The rule was implemented in 2011 and the slide AB remembers was in that year's NFHS PowerPoint presented at rules interpretation meetings across the country. I didn't realize until others mentioned that the actual rule on this is rather vague. But the PowerPoint slides and the comment on the rule change in the 2011 rule book are clear. -- " The committee's intent was that eye shade be located below and within the width of the eye socket and not extend below the cheek bone." This comes after it says the change was adopted "in response to increasing use of "face painting.'" Some of this wording remains in Casebook 1-5-3 Comment.

In our area we hit it real hard the first and second year after it came out. What didn't help was kids buying eye shade stickers with numbers or brand names in them, and coaches insisting they were legal because they came that way. We refused to allow them, and we got the situation cleaned up so that coaches know how to police it themselves. Do we worry about a guy with paint that extends 1/16 of an inch outside the eye socket? No. But if it goes the whole way down his cheek, it is removed before he plays.

Offline Curious

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »
It was in the national presentation that is sent out by the NFHS to go over that's year's rule changes, the one with the pictures.  I believe it's actually prepared by Referee Ragazine, but it is distibuted by the NFHS.

It had diagrams showing "legal" and "illegal".  Legal included only a single stripe under the eye, illegal included something you might see on WWE, as well as eye stripes with words in them.

Would have been about 3 years ago.

Thanks AB, I'll go back and look at my materials; but......I kinda like the "imagination" some of the kids can demonstrate.  The game s getting a little stale >:D

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »
I guess you just can't make some people happy.  The rule, regarding eye shadow, was put in several years ago to PREVENT incremental escalations that were stretching the envelope and sliding down a never ending slippery slope.  Instead of creating an atmosphere of constant argument about what might be excessive, or offensive, the rule makers kept it simple by defining specifically what was allowable, and EVERTHING ELSE  IS PROHIBITED.

If you want to challenge the creative impulses of the American teenager, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT, but the current RULE (1-5-3-c-3) prohibiting eye shade to ANYTHING other than, "a solid stroke or includes words, numbers logos or other symbols within the eye shade" is designed to make an official's job that much easier, simple AND CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Of course, the truly artistic can paint themselves and apply whatever messages THEY CHOOSE, but in doing so CHOOSE to eliminate their opportunity to participate in actually playing the game.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »
I'm sure the coach in the OK game spent the whole season standing on the sideline.

And I'm sure that you know that the court battle was about the enforcement of the penalty, not the correctness of the call itself.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »

Welcome to the board, Pollyanna.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2014, 07:59:58 AM »
IMHO, our minor duty of "fashion police" P_S should be preformed in our pregame "walk around". Things to look for :
              (1) mouthpieces that have been chewed to cover only one tooth.
              (2) towels that contain a picture of Elvis.
              (3) play cards clipped to facemask, and the like.
              (4) knots tied in jerseys - knots tied in shoestrings acceptable.
              (5) LL Bean High Water boots worn in lieu of cleated shoes on muddy fields.
              (6) Cleats that exceed 1/2 inch on muddy fields.
              (7) Face paint of any color, design or amount that exceeds the eye shadow swipe.
              (8) missing pads, legal unaltered jerseys, etc.

If any offences are found, politely bring it to the attention of the coach. Situation will be corrected and the game will be played smoothly....or at least until kickoff tiphat:!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:07:15 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »
Welcome to the board, Pollyanna.

All it takes for Pollyanna to remain in her seat way up in the stands, is to send a starter (or two) back to the sideline, so he can remove his face paint, Muscle bands, towel messages or whatever artistic messages he wants to send WITHOUT STOPPING THE GAME for him to do so.

When the whining begins, politely reminding those complaining who neglected THEIR JOB of getting their players ready to play usually has a quieting effect.

Offline edtude

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
  • Just a target for Running Backs and Tight Ends....
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
IMHO, our minor duty of "fashion police" P_S should be preformed in our pregame "walk around". Things to look for :
              (7) Face paint of any color, design or amount that exceeds the eye shadow swipe.

If any offences are found, politely bring it to the attention of the coach. Situation will be corrected and the game will be played smoothly....or at least until kickoff tiphat:!

This +1
I walk the field and walk the teams multiple times. I got time to kill and need to warm up anyway.

Offline Curious

« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2014, 10:15:46 AM »
I guess you just can't make some people happy.  The rule, regarding eye shadow, was put in several years ago to PREVENT incremental escalations that were stretching the envelope and sliding down a never ending slippery slope.  Instead of creating an atmosphere of constant argument about what might be excessive, or offensive, the rule makers kept it simple by defining specifically what was allowable, and EVERTHING ELSE  IS PROHIBITED.

If you want to challenge the creative impulses of the American teenager, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT, but the current RULE (1-5-3-c-3) prohibiting eye shade to ANYTHING other than, "a solid stroke or includes words, numbers logos or other symbols within the eye shade" is designed to make an official's job that much easier, simple AND CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Of course, the truly artistic can paint themselves and apply whatever messages THEY CHOOSE, but in doing so CHOOSE to eliminate their opportunity to participate in actually playing the game.

Get over yourself Al pi1eOn...and spend more time trying to find a sense of humor :'(

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »

Perhaps focusing on a greater willingness to explain the rational behind penalties, so others better understood their RESPONSIBILITIES would prove more valuable in persuading others to reduce the actual frequency of ANYONE having to deal with the problem, than worrying about someone else's sense of humor.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:25:58 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline Curious

« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
Perhaps focusing on a greater willingness to explain the rational behind penalties, so others better understood their RESPONSIBILITIES would prove more valuable in persuading others to reduce the actual frequency of ANYONE having to deal with the problem, than worrying about someone else's sense of humor.

Who writes this stuff for you? cRaZy cRaZy cRaZy cRaZy LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »

Our HL and I (LJ) have a pregame wager each game about who will find the most bicep bands or other such fashion faux pas prior to the coin toss. It gets harder to find them as the season moves on.

Offline edtude

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
  • Just a target for Running Backs and Tight Ends....
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:24 AM »
Our HL and I (LJ) have a pregame wager each game about who will find the most bicep bands or other such fashion faux pas prior to the coin toss. It gets harder to find them as the season moves on.

If you are consistent enough early in the season yes it does. Also a willingness to explain reasons why helps ease the pain as well.