Author Topic: Whats the call?  (Read 13585 times)

NJOfficial

Whats the call?
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:39:48 PM »
K is punting, and R roughs the punter. While the kick is rolling K blocks R in the back. R returns the kick fumbles and K recovers and runs to K 10.

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
Re: Whats the call?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
Either off-set the fouls and replay or enforce the K BIB from either end of the kick or spot of the foul. The play is not very specific as to where the foul occurred.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:31:56 PM »
Either off-set the fouls and replay or enforce the K BIB from either end of the kick or spot of the foul. The play is not very specific as to where the foul occurred.
This has to be a double foul, and they offset.  K is in final possession, but fouled prior to gaining possession.  This is described in 10-2-1b.

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:08:25 AM »
PSK?

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:47:09 AM »
PSK?
Can't be PSK for a number of reasons:
1.  The foul on R was roughing the punter, which is never a PSK foul. 
2.  The second foul (which we believe came while the ball was loose) was by K, which can never be PSK.
3.  K would be the next to put the ball in play.

This is a plain old double foul.  Replay the down.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »
A scrimmage kick without a new series occurring = clock starts on RFP....
                                    UNLESS:
                                         (1)
                                         (2)
                     Who's got the answers ??? ??? ???

PS : If time expired during the down, an untimed down would be allowed.   

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:05:59 PM »
3rd down scrimmage kick by K, blocked by R in the expanded neutral zone, rebounds behind the neutral zone, recovered by K who then throws an incomplete forward pass or runs the ball ending up out of bounds short of the LTG.  Clock starts on the snap.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:07:47 PM by prab »

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
A scrimmage kick without a new series occurring = clock starts on RFP....
                                    UNLESS:
                                         (1)   Kick out of bounds
                                         (2)   Touchback
                     Who's got the answers ??? ??? ???

PS : If time expired during the down, an untimed down would be allowed.

Offline prab

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
Wouldn't either a kick out of bounds or a touchback result in a new series being awarded to R?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »

Ump33, you win the Kewpie doll aWaRd. I had intended (1) to be OOB or TB but wasn't clear. Listing them separately now leaves a 3rd situation.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »
Wouldn't either a kick out of bounds or a touchback result in a new series being awarded to R?
Not in the OP, as the double foul replays the down. Again, my fault for not specifying reference to the OP. Must be nearing time for me to go home and walk ma' hunting dawg :).

Offline prab

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 01:30:32 PM »
Thanks!  That clears it up.  I thought that I either misunderstood the question or that I misunderstood the answer.  Apparently I misunderstood BOTH!

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 07:42:01 AM »
Ump33, you win the Kewpie doll aWaRd. I had intended (1) to be OOB or TB but wasn't clear. Listing them separately now leaves a 3rd situation.
Still a' looking for that 3rd situation. Hint: IMHO, this situation should have been removed in 1996.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 07:58:55 AM »
Still a' looking for that 3rd situation. Hint: IMHO, this situation should have been removed in 1996.

The returner runs out of bounds?  Touchdown?  Fair Catch?

wvoref

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 08:04:41 AM »
Or as unlikely as it is result of play is safety. So basically we are saying any major clock stopper

wvoref

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »
Or just to pile on the penalties the returner throws an incomplete illegal pass

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »
 aWaRd Kewpie Doll for Bossman. Clock always starts on snap after a fair catch. Rationale : if R called for a fair catch and chose to free kick, the clock should start as on the kick,not the RFP. IMHO, rationale became defunct in 1996 when rule changed to snap on all COPs.

Why:
                            Isn't 3-4-3j removed ????
                            The NL not adopt the DH ??? ????
                            Brady throw his telephone away ??? ??? ????

....So many questions...so few answers..... :( :o ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:39:00 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:51 AM »
Rationale : if R called for a fair catch and chose to free kick, the clock should start on the kick, not the RFP.

But since it's a free kick, it doesn't start on the kick, it starts when the kick is touched (other than first touching)

Why:

It's probably not needed anymore.  If there isn't going to be a change of possession, do we really need to wait for the snap?

The more important question is, why has the AL kept it?  It ain't baseball!

I think we all know the answer to that one.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
But since it's a free kick, it doesn't start on the kick, it starts when the kick is touched (other than first touching) It should have been "as a kick"-my bad.
/glow]

It's probably not needed anymore.  If there isn't going to be a change of possession, do we really need to wait for the snap? A few years after the COP timing change ,we had K with a 6 man line (11 man football) and a booming kick that was fair caught. After measuring off K's penalty, I started the clock on RFP. It was much later that I realized I shouldn't have had. I owe the Brewer vs Hampden game of 1998 probably 10-12 more seconds. I've yet to pay them back.

The more important question is, why has the AL kept it?  It ain't baseball! I used to enjoy watching chestmasters think before their next move. I never enjoyed watching a manager think as to if it was time to bat for the pitcher.

I think we all know the answer to that one.
His battery ran out?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
Or as unlikely as it is result of play is safety. So basically we are saying any major clock stopper
I should has said : "Any play that ends OOB or in either EZ" to cover the many possible situations ...and ,yes, an IFP after COP would also do it! tiphat:

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:30 AM »
The more important question is, why has the AL kept it?  It ain't baseball!

This.  When the AL adopted the DH in 1973, it was supposed to be a one-year only experiment.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
aWaRd Kewpie Doll for Bossman. Clock always starts on snap after a fair catch. Rationale : if R called for a fair catch and chose to free kick, the clock should start as on the kick,not the RFP. IMHO, rationale became defunct in 1996 when rule changed to snap on all COPs.

Why:

....So many questions...so few answers..... :( :o ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D

Ralph,

I wanted to make this an editorial change (underlined below), but I don't think it's ever gotten though the state. 

3-4-3 (Deals with major clock stoppers)
b.  B or R is awarded a new series and will next snap the ball.

The reason is this - Play: QB throws interception and Team B player is tackled in bounds.  B is called for defensive holding and the down is replayed with Team A retaining the ball.

Some officials would go on the snap here because the interception was (in the way they read the rule) "awarding a new series" (because of the apparent change of possession).  This editorial change would clear up any confusion.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
Excellent point, Bossman, I'll make note of that when the suggestion box (proposed rule/editorial change form) arrives. :thumbup

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »
Some officials would go on the snap here because the interception was (in the way they read the rule) "awarding a new series" (because of the apparent change of possession).  This editorial change would clear up any confusion.
These are the same officials that say a fumble by A out of B's end zone constitutes a play with a change in possession.  They need to learn their definitions!

wvoref

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
These are the same officials that say a fumble by A out of B's end zone constitutes a play with a change in possession.  They need to learn their definitions!

Not to appear overly dense but does your statement refer to A fumbling the ball into and through B's endzone or to A possessing the ball in B's endzone and then "fumbling" it out. The quotation marks referring to the impossibility of fumbling a dead ball