Author Topic: Penalty Enforcement on a Try  (Read 6099 times)

WC12

Penalty Enforcement on a Try
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »
A has just scored a TD and is going for two points on the try at B’s 3 YL.  QB for A goes back for a pass and is tackled by a B defender via a pulled face mask foul.  A obviously accepts the penalty but invokes their right to decline the yardage.

Where do we spot the ball?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:12:29 PM by WC12 »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Penalty Enforcement on a Try
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:15:50 PM »
A has just scored a TD and is going for two points on the try at B’s 3 YL.  QB for A goes back for a pass and is tackled by a B defender via a pulled face mask foul.  A obviously accepts the penalty.

Where is the spot of enforcement and where do we spot the ball?
Assuming QB A "going back" for a pass puts him beind the LOS when the foul occurs (and he is tackled at the same spot), the enforcement is from there - 15 or half the distance depending on the yard line the foul occurred. After enforcement, Team A will have the option to spot the ball anywhere between the inbounds marks to replay the try.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
A has just scored a TD and is going for two points on the try at B’s 3 YL.  QB for A goes back for a pass and is tackled by a B defender via a pulled face mask foul.  A obviously accepts the penalty but invokes their right to decline the yardage.

Where do we spot the ball?

The big question is: Where is A's coach going to be working next year?  I can't even fathom a team declining the yardage in this situation & replaying the try from the A-10 (or so).

ECILLJ

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
A can elect to re-play the try from the previous spot or the penalized spot from anywhere between the hash marks.

4.4.ART. 5 . . . When the ball becomes dead in a side zone or is awarded to a team
there or is left there by a penalty, play is resumed at the nearest hash mark. This
does not apply to:
a. A legal forward-pass incompletion.
b. A replay due to an inadvertent whistle.
c. A replayed try.
d. A free kick or snap which follows a fair catch or awarded fair catch in a side
zone.
In (a) and (b), the ball is returned to the previous spot.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:42:20 PM by ECILLJ »

maven

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
For a try only, A can either (a) decline the penalty (try fails), (b) accept the penalty with distance, or (c) decline the distance penalty and replay the down from the previous spot.

A has no option to replay the down from the end of the run, which would be the enforcement spot during a non-try down. 8-3-6b2
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:32:01 PM by maven »

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
The big question is: Where is A's coach going to be working next year?  I can't even fathom a team declining the yardage in this situation & replaying the try from the A-10 (or so).

Excuse me, sounds like the coach knows the rules.  It's the official that doesn't put the ball back on the 3 yard line that may be looking for a new place to work!

Couldn't resist!   pi1eOn

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
Excuse me, sounds like the coach knows the rules.  It's the official that doesn't put the ball back on the 3 yard line that may be looking for a new place to work!

You got me, AB. I did not read the part that talked about declining the yardage. Forgive?  pray:;
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 05:52:36 AM »

Doh!   cRaZy

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 07:58:17 AM »
Yep...Doh!  yEs:

As a referee, I would always repeat the play and enforcement back to the official who made the call and made him confirm back to me we weren't screwing it up. I just violated my own rule by not listening (reading, in this case) to the whole play. No matter how many years you've been in this business, the basics never change.
- Vince Lombardi

maven

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »
No matter how many years you've been in this business, the basics never change.

Don't be too hard on yourself. The NFHS rule changed last season (2012). The 2011 rule book had this for 8-3-6:

"If during an unsuccessful try, a foul by A occurs, the penalty is obviously
declined, the results of the play stand and there is no replay. If B fouls, the
down is replayed after enforcement.
"

The 2012 change was not noted as a "rule change" but (misleadingly, IMO) appeared as an "editorial change."

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
You got me, AB. I did not read the part that talked about declining the yardage. Forgive?  pray:;

Of course!  But I couldn't resist having a little fun with it.

Watching our JV team play last week.  Our team is called for a BIB.  WH (who I know) gives the wrong signal.  I know exactly what was called (although I'm not sure it was right, but that's judgment).  Loud enough for the R to here, I yell to our JV coach, "Hey Wayne, what was the penalty?"
"Block in the back."
"Oh, I was confused when I saw us called for pass interference."

WH looks at me on the sideline, drops his head, and says, "D@mn it, you had to be watching, didn't you?"

No way I was going to let that go!