Author Topic: Free kicks OB enforcement  (Read 4238 times)

Offline bmem66

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
Free kicks OB enforcement
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:41:03 PM »
K lines up at their 40 for the opening kickoff.  The ball goes OB without being touched at the R 20.  Last year the options were to penalize K 5 yards and rekick from their 35 or move the ball 25 yard from the free kick line and it would be R’s ball at their 35.   Now with the new enforcement rule, is there a 3rd option of penalizing K from the succeeding spot and the ball is at the R 40?   I am not understanding this new enforcement. 

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Free kicks OB enforcement
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
No. R has four options. 5 yds and make k rekick; take the ball at the oob spot, take the ball 25 yds beyond the previous spot, OR tack on 5yds to the succeeding spot, which in this case IS the oob spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:22 PM »
There are three options

5 yards back from the 40 and rekick
25 yards from the spot of the kick or
5 yards from the out-of-bound spot, the 25 yardline.

There is actually a fourth option that no one would take at the out of bound spot the 20 yardline.

Offline riffraft

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 05:50:17 PM »
No. R has four options. 5 yds and make k rekick; take the ball at the oob spot, take the ball 25 yds beyond the previous spot, OR tack on 5yds to the succeeding spot, which in this case IS the oob spot.

beat me to it

Offline bmem66

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:16:11 PM »
So this new rule only does R good on a free kick if the ball is kicked out between the K 40 and the R 31 and they get an extra 5 from the OOB stop.  If it is beyond the 31, (like the R 30) the best thing for them is the 35.    Is my thinking correct?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »
Yes. On this particular play. The rule was actually implemented to reduce the number of rekicks, not to give r a specific advantage.

Offline riffraft

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
So this new rule only does R good on a free kick if the ball is kicked out between the K 40 and the R 31 and they get an extra 5 from the OOB stop.  If it is beyond the 31, (like the R 30) the best thing for them is the 35.    Is my thinking correct?

Where you going to see the most effect is going to be on a scrimmage kick not a free kick

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »
There are three options

5 yards back from the 40 and rekick
25 yards from the spot of the kick or
5 yards from the out-of-bound spot, the 25 yardline.

There is actually a fourth option that no one would take at the out of bound spot the 20 yardline.

The option of taking the ball at the 20 is merely declining the penalty. The 3 choices of acceptance would require an untimed down IF the kick was legally touched by K (beyond the NZ) and the clock expired before the kick went OOB.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 09:54:29 PM »

Actually had this happen in our first varsity game of the 2018 season last night.  Ks free kick from the K 40 went out of bounds, untouched by R, at the R 32.  1st and 10 for R at R 37.  No questions from either sideline. 

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
Where you going to see the most effect is going to be on a scrimmage kick not a free kick

Um... a scrimmage kick OOB is not a foul, so there's no 5 yard tack on from the OOB spot after a punt... or am I missing something here?

Offline riffraft

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »
Um... a scrimmage kick OOB is not a foul, so there's no 5 yard tack on from the OOB spot after a punt... or am I missing something here?

What I am saying it that a kick OOB on a free kick is about the only foul we are going to see on a free kick where the tack on is an option and it is rarely going to be used since the 25 yards from the free kick line is going to be the better option most of the time.

On a scrimmage kick there are going to more foul where the option to tack on will be used. Illegal formations, shifts, etc. I was in no way saying that kick out of bounds on a scrimmage kick was a foul.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 05:10:38 PM »
What I am saying it that a kick OOB on a free kick is about the only foul we are going to see on a free kick where the tack on is an option...

It will certainly be the most common.  But I can also envision BBW fouls (especially on a pooch kick or onside attempt), or a even a facemask foul, before the kick ends.

Offline backspace

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 07:49:39 AM »
Check this out!