Author Topic: Kicking the ball out of own end zone  (Read 5438 times)

Offline bmem66

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
Kicking the ball out of own end zone
« on: October 13, 2019, 10:46:54 PM »
Team A is punting and standing in their own end zone.  The punter drops the ball and in order to avoid a turnover and touchdown, he kicks the ball out of the back of the end zone.  Result of the play is a safety. 

In a similar situation, team R in on their own 3 yard line and is trying to take possession of the kickoff.  He fails to do so and kicks the ball out of the end zone.  Shouldn’t this be a safety?   The enforcement I read is that this is a loose ball play and is enforced from the kick off location and penalized 10 yards and rekick. Is that correct?  I ask because R put the ball out the back of the end zone. 

What about a punter who is on his own 3 and kicks the ball out the back of his own end zone?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Kicking the ball out of own end zone
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 10:54:26 PM »
Force is not a factor for a kick going into R's end zone so it's always a touchback. That's why they are different. The example you have is a ball going into K's end zone. Force is a factor there.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 08:33:07 AM »
A kick doesn't end until it is possessed or otherwise dead by rule.    Since its a loose ball play, the enforcement spot is previous spot.  The kick is what put the ball in R's end zone.  In your first scenario, team A put the ball in their own end zone with the snap.

Online CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »
Team A is punting and standing in their own end zone.  The punter drops the ball and in order to avoid a turnover and touchdown, he kicks the ball out of the back of the end zone.  Result of the play is a safety.  This is correct. The result of the play is a safety because K put the ball into the endzone with the snap and it became dead/oob there. You also should have a flag for illegal kicking, which is basic spot/all-but one enforcement. the basic spot is the previous spot, and the spot of enforcement is behind that, which is in the endzone. Since the spot of enforcement is in the endzone, it's a safety either way.

In a similar situation, team R in on their own 3 yard line and is trying to take possession of the kickoff.  He fails to do so and kicks the ball out of the end zone.  Shouldn’t this be a safety?   The enforcement I read is that this is a loose ball play and is enforced from the kick off location and penalized 10 yards and rekick. Is that correct? 
This play is different because of the legal kick. At the time R "kicked" the ball, it was still a "kick," and force is not a factor. So, even though R put the ball out the back of the end zone, it was still a kick and became dead when it crossed the plane of the goal line. Loose ball, previous spot enforcement.
I ask because R put the ball out the back of the end zone. 

What about a punter who is on his own 3 and kicks the ball out the back of his own end zone?
In this case, you would have a foul for illegal kicking at the three. K has forced the ball into his end zone. If the penalty is accepted, we would mark off ½ the distance to the goal and replay the down. BUT, the result of the play is a safety, because K put the ball into his own end zone and it became dead/oob back there. So R would obviously decline the penalty and take the results of the play.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »
Can a new force be applied to a kick?
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Online CalhounLJ

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »
Can a new force be applied to a kick?
Yes.
2-13-1
ART. 1 ... Force is the result of energy exerted by a player which provides movement of the ball. The term force is used only in connection with the goal line and in only one direction, i.e., from the field of play into the end zone. Initial force results from a carry, fumble, kick, pass or snap. After a fumble, kick or backward pass has been grounded, a new force may result from a bat, an illegal kick or a muff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online CalhounLJ

Kicking the ball out of own end zone
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »
Force is not a factor in the second situation because it is a kick going into R’s end zone.

Force is a factor in the other two examples, but not a new force on a kick, because neither situation includes a legal kick. Both essentially kicked a fumble or muff. (Assuming the ball was grounded in situation 3)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »
Its not illegal for a punter to kick the ball out of his own end zone, unless it was already grounded.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 12:43:59 PM »
QUIZ.......

(1) A's ball, 3 & 8 @ A's 2;
(2) A/K tries quick kick from EZ;
(3) Kick blocked, A kicks loose ball from EZ;
(4) IK goes OOB @ A's 5.

What choices does B/R have ??   
YOU MAKE THE CALL.....

Online CalhounLJ

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 01:23:24 PM »
R can decline and take the ball at the 5. OR accept the penalty and get safety, since the foul occurred in the end zone.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »
 aWaRd
R can decline and take the ball at the 5. OR accept the penalty and get safety, since the foul occurred in the end zone.

aWaRd Good call,, Calhoun. Remember, guys, an IK maintains it's status prior to the illegal act. It was a kick before it became an illegal kick. A kick OOB turns the ball over to R, regardless of down.
 aWaRd