Author Topic: Possession  (Read 3324 times)

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
Possession
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:04:04 AM »
Someone needs to set me straight or my association straight. Possession of a ball by a player (not team possession) must have the player in control of the ball. To gain control of a ball must it not include use of the hands/arms? I am being told a player can gain possession of a loose ball by controlling it with his feet/legs.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
Re: Possession
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:00:51 AM »
The rules states that A ball in player possession is a live ball held or controlled by a player
after it has been handed or snapped to him, or after he has caught or recovered it.(2-34-1)

I am trying to think of a way that a player could control the ball with his feet/legs. I can't think of a way to do this where another player couldn't get his hands on the ball and remove it.

mbyron

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:34:38 AM »
The rule does not specify how the ball must be controlled, that is, does not mention hands or arms. I personally interpret "held" to refer to the hands, but the rule says "held OR controlled." Thus, it's the covering official's judgment whether a player has control of the ball.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »
"Control" implies that the player could intentionally hand, pass or kick the ball.  You'll be much better off to rule "no control" when the ball is under a player's legs or between his feet.

mbyron

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »
"Control" implies that the player could intentionally hand, pass or kick the ball.  You'll be much better off to rule "no control" when the ball is under a player's legs or between his feet.
I'm not sure about your first claim, but I have no argument with the second.

Curious, though, why the rulesmakers didn't include reference to the hands or arms when they easily could have (as baseball rules, for example, require a 'catch' to involve secure possession of the ball in the hand or glove).

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:55:49 AM »
Saw this very thing happen in a JV game last week.  Player tried to catch a pass near the sideline.  He bobbled the ball, but trapped it between his knees while lying on the ground.  Ball was ruled a catch, and I see nothing in the rules that says it shouldn't have been.  He clearly had the ball held between his kness while lying on the ground.