Author Topic: Reflection of Your 2018 Football Season  (Read 3593 times)

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
Reflection of Your 2018 Football Season
« on: December 09, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
With 2018 Football season coming to a end for some or have ended for other Thought It would be neat to hear how your season went.

I will Start

2018 Started with me leaving my old crew, the White Hat was well past his time and all honestly was showing signs of dementia I will not go into a big long story about the  2017 season except to say at 3 of the 5 of us knew in week 3 that we would not be a crew next year. How ever I was not one of the 3. I was hoping the WH would retire and I just take over the crew as a whole we had a great crew. and we as a Crew talked to the WH and suggest that he retire and if not we would not be back

I was approached by one of the Conference assignors and he told me he had been wanting to put together a 2nd crew and Asked If I would be his WH He told me he had 2 other guys that he wanted to put on that crew do to retirements of others and That I could choose the other 2 slots

1 small problem I had 3 great choices.  We talked about it and the umpire on my old crew said he make the choice easy he was going to retire as well.

Crew came together and during our first scrimmage game we came together and meshed like we had been together 20 years
Coaches were asking where we came from because of how good we worked together
All in All great season first time in years I felt comfortable taking a night off and now worrying about my phone blowing up after the game.

We were chosen to work 2 playoff game (which is rare to get more then 1 playoff game as a new crew)
Our last Playoff game ended on a sour note
one team had 6 ejections 1 came from striking a one of my officials between USC and PF I think there were 18 fouls
One team was out of control
we done all we could to keep in in control
best thing about that night No Fights and No one got hurt
There is a lot more about this game that I cant talk about right now, everyone I have talked to tell us we worked a hell of a game and they had never see any like what we were face with.

After 12 great games I just hate it for my crew that we ended on a sour note of a game, but we will use it as a learning experience

Looking Forward to 2019

do or do not there is no try

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Reflection of Your 2018 Football Season
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »
Our crew as been together for a while.  I became the WH about 7 years ago and have been working with the U and LJ for 10+ years.  We brought in our current BJ about 6 years ago and our HL just finished his 4th year with us.

Our season started on a sour note when the U ruptured his achilles tendon about 3 weeks before the season started.  We were fortunate to find a very experienced U to join us for the year, and we worked well after a couple of weeks of getting used to each other.

August and September have been particularly challenging in FL the last 2 years.  We had games that were delayed at the start or while in progress due to lightning.  That sets up for very late finishes or rescheduled for Saturday morning at 10 am.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but 7:30 pm start times in late summer and early fall isn't working as well as it used to.

I mentioned in another post that our games weren't as competitive as we would have liked.  Out of 12 games, we had 2 nail-biters (one went to OT), 2 that were decided by around 15 points, and 8 running clocks (we have a 35 point mercy rule in FL). 

We ended with 3 playoff games, all of which were competitive into the 2nd half, but none that were down-to-the-wire finishes.  Playoff atmosphere for some of the schools in FL is just exceptional.  We had about 8,000 people in the stands for our final game, which was a regional final.  I really enjoy that, and enjoy the camaraderie not only with our crew, but with the entire association. 

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
2018 was one of my best seasons in my career.

The White hat on my 2017 crew retired and our umpire took over the white hat and I moved to U. Which made me quite happy I had been a U in Ohio but when I moved to Arizona I ended up work as an LJ.  The other two officials did not stay with us. However we contacted a gentleman who had been a BJ for us in the past and he wanted to come back with us. We added a young guy to work the sidelines and another good seasoned official. However with 3 weeks to go before the season, the seasoned guy had a family issue that prevented him from working with us. As luck would have it a 25 year veteran of Texas had just moved to Phoenix for work and he joined us. He was a White hat in Texas, but gladly worked the sidelines with us and was just absolutely solid on the sidelines.  We really messed as a crew both professionally and personally. It was great working with guys you enjoyed working with.

In our crew we have 4 member who all transferred from other states and while we all have at least 18 years of experience, no one really knows us out here, so it has been difficult getting noticed. After 3 years of trying to get an observer out to evaluate us as a crew, we finally had one come out this season. It was nice to getting a very positive review and being told that we were a quality crew that worked very tight together. It didn't get us a playoff game this season, but at least received some notice that could result in it in the future.

As to the games, most of our games were very competitive and enjoyable.

Our young kid showed tremendous growth during the season and fits right in with us old men. He is in his early 20s and the rest of us are 55 and over.

2017 was a not a good year and I looked forward to the season being over. 2018, I didn't want to end and I am really looking forward to next season.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 06:53:48 AM »
This was a bittersweet season for me.  I announced to my crew after last season that 2018 would be my final on-field varsity year, although I intend to stay as a ECO/25-sec operator for a few more years.  Our BJ will take over as R, and hopefully I can keep him out of serious trouble through our O2O comms.

I intend to work on-field as much as needed for sub-varsity in the hope that I can help the new guys in our association get up to speed as quickly as possible, and will be available for “warm body” varsity duty, although I hope that won’t be necessary very often.

The highlight for me in 2018 was the selection of two members of my 5-man crew to work the state finals.  I’m pretty sure this is unprecedented in our state in the modern era, and several buttons on my shirt will need to be repaired in the off-season!

Merry Christmas to you all !!

Jim Rosenfeld
Tuscaloosa, AL

BLACK BEARS RULE!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:08:35 AM by bama_stripes »

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »
This was a bittersweet season for me.  I announced to my crew after last season that 2018 would be my final on-field varsity year, although I intend to stay as a ECO/25-sec operator for a few more years.  Our BJ will take over as R, and hopefully I can keep him out of serious trouble through our O2O comms.

I intend to work on-field as much as needed for sub-varsity in the hope that I can help the new guys in our association get up to speed as quickly as possible, and will be available for “warm body” varsity duty, although I hope that won’t be necessary very often.

The highlight for me in 2018 was the selection of two members of my 5-man crew to work the state finals.  I’m pretty this is unprecedented in our state in the modern era, and several buttons on my shirt will need to be repaired in the off-season!

Jim Rosenfeld
Tuscaloosa, AL

BLACK BEARS RULE!

Congrats Bama.  I'm sure that was a tough decision, but sounds like you have a nice transition plan in place.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
Congrats, 'Bama, on your field career and glad to see that you're staying active in the game. I realize ,at 73, that my days on the field are also numbered. Working the game and play clock, working with the newcomers in sub-varsity games and staying active in rules and rule changes will all hopefully help in softening the blow of leaving the field. OH, YES - please stay active on our forum as you are often the voice of reason. Thanks for being a good sport, I think you only have a couple of "Black Bears Rule" to post!
                                                                      -Ralph

[/GO CRIMSON TIDE!!!b]

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 12:54:19 PM »

The highlight for me in 2018 was the selection of two members of my 5-man crew to work the state finals.  I’m pretty this is unprecedented in our state in the modern era, and several buttons on my shirt will need to be repaired in the off-season!

Jim Rosenfeld
Tuscaloosa, AL

BLACK BEARS RULE!

Jim and I were whitehats for different games in the 2009 AHSAA Super 6 Championships.  I had an opportunity to see him work in person.  Jim Rosenfeld is one of the finest referees to ever work in Alabama.  I wish you all the best Jim! I am glad you are staying involved.  We cannot replace what you posses.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
This season was my first off the field in 34 years.  I finished last season as the referee in the 5A championship game.  I did not know at the time it would be my last.  A couple of weeks after the Super 7 Championships, my district director stepped down.  I became the new district director a few days later.  It has been a very challenging year, but ultimately I have had fun and learned much about officiating with an administrator's view as opposed to an official's view.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
I started this season down 85 pounds from last season. I was awarded a full varsity slate, and received my first playoff game. I grew as an official and am excited for offseason work out and clinics. I love what we do and love who I do it with.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »
I enjoyed reading these reflections, and it seems most of you are part of a crew.  In our association we do not have crews so worked with many different WH and officials.  I think for a 1st year official this was good for me because I could take a little bit of something from many different officials.

Also, in our association 1st year officials primarily work as Head Linesman and we do Frosh and J.V. games.  I did enjoy working with the chain crews and visiting parts of the city and state I had not seen.  I had thought that my high school and college playing experience would make it easier for me but I was wrong.  The rules were far more complex, and the game bigger and faster than in my day (35 years have passed) that I had a steep learning curve.  Also, it was more physically demanding than I was prepared for, and I developed a mustard and pickle juice habit.  Even so, my wife's sleep was often interrupted by my excrutiatingly painful cramps.

As the season progressed the games slowed down for me with each assignment, and I am proud to say that my last game of 2018 was my very best work.  (actually l saw a holding call - it was big, caught an inelligible (covered up) receiver downfield on a pass play).    My spots were strong and its a great feeling coming up at the same line as my wingman.  I was assigned a great mentor and we've developed a friendship.  His help and support were a critical component of my success.

I'm committed to studying the case book and rules in the office and staying in shape.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:39:12 PM by Derek Teigen »

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 06:13:25 AM »
This season was my first off the field in 34 years.  I finished last season as the referee in the 5A championship game.  I did not know at the time it would be my last.  A couple of weeks after the Super 7 Championships, my district director stepped down.  I became the new district director a few days later.  It has been a very challenging year, but ultimately I have had fun and learned much about officiating with an administrator's view as opposed to an official's view.

Congrats (and condolences!) on your DD appointment.  That’s one job I’d want no part of for football.

Offline Delta51

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
I had a memorable season (my 33rd) , but for the wrong reason.
As a crew we handled the games pretty well, along with the usual amount of "I'm sending the tape to the state office", or "you'll never have a game here again" comments.

Was fortunate to work 3 playoff games, including a State semifinal and all three were competitive.

But the reason the season is one I'll never forget is that in our last regular season game, a home team player was critically injured on the 6th play of the game. He fractured two vertebrae in his neck and he stopped breathing for 15 minutes while doctors worked on him. They finally got a pulse, but he never regained consciousness and died one week later.

The game ended at this point, as the team (home team) was in no condition to play. Both coaches agreed and we left for home, not talking too much on the drive home.

This had never happened during one of my games and it was tremendously tragic, watching his mom rush onto the field, pleading with him to "wake up".
It was a season I'll never forget.

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
I had a memorable season (my 33rd) , but for the wrong reason.
As a crew we handled the games pretty well, along with the usual amount of "I'm sending the tape to the state office", or "you'll never have a game here again" comments.

Was fortunate to work 3 playoff games, including a State semifinal and all three were competitive.

But the reason the season is one I'll never forget is that in our last regular season game, a home team player was critically injured on the 6th play of the game. He fractured two vertebrae in his neck and he stopped breathing for 15 minutes while doctors worked on him. They finally got a pulse, but he never regained consciousness and died one week later.

The game ended at this point, as the team (home team) was in no condition to play. Both coaches agreed and we left for home, not talking too much on the drive home.

This had never happened during one of my games and it was tremendously tragic, watching his mom rush onto the field, pleading with him to "wake up".
It was a season I'll never forget.

That’s a tough pill to swallow, Delta51.  We had a similar situation in our area 10 or so years ago.  Thankfully I wasn’t on that crew.  I’m not sure that any of them are still officiating.