Author Topic: Just a rant about holding  (Read 942 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Just a rant about holding
« on: January 10, 2023, 10:59:46 AM »
We study holding, to try to get a common understanding of what constitutes an illegal restriction. 15 years ago, that wasn't quite as difficult as it is now. Once teams - particularly O-line coaches - got the idea that it ain't a foul unless there is a material restriction, they now teach their players, as their first move in 'blocking' an opponent is to grasp the opponent at the shoulders or upper arms with their hands, and, with simple brute strength, to try to keep the opponent in front of them, so it looks like they are moving their feet to try to stay in front of them. Well, that sorta works in about 1 out of about 100 'blocks.' In most such interactions, the blocker is holding on, pretty much just standing there, and controls the opponent, until the opponent moves enough to cause a jersey stretch, at which point the blocker might release his grasp on the opponent's jersey, but then they wrap their arms around the opponents, at least arm barring them, if not actually clamping them. So, in 99% of the blocking action, the blocker is, in fact, actually restricting the defender, by controlling the defender's movement. Maybe no big 'twist,' or 'pull-down', but controlling, nonetheless, until the defender can break the hold and move away.  By that time the BC has gone by, or the passer has released a pass.
For some of you youngsters, there was a time when blockers could not use their open hands on opponents. Blocking with the arms was restricted to the outer surfaces, with closed or cupped hands. No open hands. A grasp of a jersey was illegal use of hands, a five-yard penalty. The NCAA coaches complained that these fouls were too minor in nature, so they got the rule changed to allow open hand blocking. While 9-3-3 still exists, when was the last time you saw "Illegal use of hands" called? It has, effectively, been dropped. While I don't suggest that we nit-pick on 9-1-3-a items, I would like to see us get back to prohibiting grasping of the opponent's jersey, with any amount of 'stretch.'
I'm dreaming, of course.   

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Just a rant about holding
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 01:27:31 PM »
Maybe you will wake up in Hawaii!  😜
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 02:28:34 PM »
Maybe you will wake up in Hawaii!  😜

Oh, would that it were! That reminds me. Today is Lottery day. Gotta remember to buy a ticket.  Let's see - $1.1 billion; cash option = $576 million. Knock off 37% for taxes = $363 million. Hmmm. Pretty sure I can retire on $363 million. 8]

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 03:34:49 PM »
And visit Hawaii  LOL

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 04:19:23 PM »
And visit Hawaii  LOL

Oh no, brah. Buy some land on Oahu and Kauai, buy a jet boat, and throw up a tent in both places, and just go back and forth with my golf clubs and play golf all day long. Maybe mix in just sittin' under an umbrella on Waikiki beach (in front of the Royal Hawaiian), and watch the stupid haoles, watch the ships and planes, watch the locals surfing, paddle boarding, and wake boarding, while sipping on a coca cola (yes, coca cola), and eating fresh pineapple, pulled pork, etc., etc., etc.  That's my lottery American dream.  :patrioticon:

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 04:30:31 PM »
👍