Author Topic: Targeting/PF RTP/PF UNR question  (Read 825 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Targeting/PF RTP/PF UNR question
« on: September 15, 2022, 12:34:39 PM »
Thinking and reading about the Texas/Alabama 'safety' call, and thought of a scenario that I don't readily know the answer for.  (Nothing to do with the call/no call from that day.)

link to video for reference as to QB positioning: https://twitter.com/caradossports/status/1568665478520012802

Same scenario - backed up in the end zone, somehow rolls over the defender (not down), and as the QB's essentially on the ground (or close to it), the defender comes crashing in and intentionally knees him in the head, an act clearly intended to injure the QB. 

What would the ruling be?  My first thought would be targeting, but the rule requires targeting to be an action with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow, or shoulder. 

Could you still keep it as targeting, based on the potential for head injury, or would it go to flagrant PF? Or something else?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 12:36:44 PM by dammitbobby »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Targeting/PF RTP/PF UNR question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 01:06:36 PM »
9-1-2-a would cover you.  If ruled flagrant then he is ejected in college.  That's an important distinction because as you said, it's not targeting.  Targeting they are disqualified.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 12:23:18 PM »
Thinking and reading about the Texas/Alabama 'safety' call, and thought of a scenario that I don't readily know the answer for.  (Nothing to do with the call/no call from that day.)

link to video for reference as to QB positioning: https://twitter.com/caradossports/status/1568665478520012802

Same scenario - backed up in the end zone, somehow rolls over the defender (not down), and as the QB's essentially on the ground (or close to it), the defender comes crashing in and intentionally knees him in the head, an act clearly intended to injure the QB. 

What would the ruling be?  My first thought would be targeting, but the rule requires targeting to be an action with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow, or shoulder. 

Could you still keep it as targeting, based on the potential for head injury, or would it go to flagrant PF? Or something else?

RTP? Assume you mean RPS? Correct foul abbreviations can be found in the CCA Manual.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 02:01:14 PM »
RTP? Assume you mean RPS? Correct foul abbreviations can be found in the CCA Manual.

Yes, I meant RPS.  I know the correct abbreviation.  Apologies for making a typo.