Author Topic: More "Brilliant" Sportscasters  (Read 13814 times)

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
Re: More "Brilliant" Sportscasters
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 11:44:56 AM »
Rule 7-3-4 and AR 7-3-4-IV don't answer the question which is - is it a penalty if a player does not return in bounds immediately - forget about touching the ball ?

I don't think there is such a ruling but it was suggested to me it was a USC.
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

elewis023

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
Rule 7-3-4 and AR 7-3-4-IV don't answer the question which is - is it a penalty if a player does not return in bounds immediately - forget about touching the ball ?

I don't think there is such a ruling but it was suggested to me it was a USC.

If he is not the first one to touch the ball, there is NO FOUL.

Diablo

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »

NCAA
Independent of whether a Team A player goes OB via contact or voluntarily, it is not a foul if he does not return inbounds during the remainder of the down.  Since it is not a foul, there can be no penalty option.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
Thanks for the conformation Diablo
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 05:37:59 AM »
One of the DI or DII officials addressed that maybe two years ago - and basically it WAS to prove to the supervisor that they saw it when watching for video review...

MJT

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
One of the DI or DII officials addressed that maybe two years ago - and basically it WAS to prove to the supervisor that they saw it when watching for video review...

That is correct James. When you are graded on every play, you need to cover your bases. The hat shows that you saw your key go OOB's one way or another, and then a flag if needed for ILT or a team A player going OOB's on his own and returning IB's during the down.

Diablo

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
When you are graded on every play, you need to cover your bases. The hat shows that you saw your key go OOB's one way or another, and then a flag if needed for ILT or a team A player going OOB's on his own and returning IB's during the down.

Being my own advocate .... why do we have to cover our arses in this situation, but not in others with similar basic dichotomy.

Examples
1.  From chymechowder:  Prior to the snap, the L notices that TE (A87) is covered up by the wide receiver.  At the snap, A87 goes downfield and runs his pass pattern.  A87 has committed a foul if the QB subsequently throws a pass that goes beyond the neutral zone.  No pass beyond the NZ; no foul.  We don't toss a hat when A87 goes into pass pattern.

2.  From scrimmage kick formation, a punt protector (A55) blocks rushing B45 below the waist.  The punter catches the snap and runs outside the tackle box looking like he may kick the ball a la soccer style.  A55 commits a foul if the punter kicks the ball.  However, if the punter tries to run for a first down, there will be no foul.  Again, we don't toss a hat when A55 blocks below the waist.

Where's Elvis; we need Elvis.  He always had answers for these sorts of discrepancies. 

MJT

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 02:57:19 PM »
Being my own advocate .... why do we have to cover our arses in this situation, but not in others with similar basic dichotomy.

Examples
1.  From chymechowder:  Prior to the snap, the L notices that TE (A87) is covered up by the wide receiver.  At the snap, A87 goes downfield and runs his pass pattern.  A87 has committed a foul if the QB subsequently throws a pass that goes beyond the neutral zone.  No pass beyond the NZ; no foul.  We don't toss a hat when A87 goes into pass pattern.

2.  From scrimmage kick formation, a punt protector (A55) blocks rushing B45 below the waist.  The punter catches the snap and runs outside the tackle box looking like he may kick the ball a la soccer style.  A55 commits a foul if the punter kicks the ball.  However, if the punter tries to run for a first down, there will be no foul.  Again, we don't toss a hat when A55 blocks below the waist.

Where's Elvis; we need Elvis.  He always had answers for these sorts of discrepancies. 

Great question, but all I know is what we are told to do on the sidelines. The "hat down" is a mechanic we are told to do, but the others you described are not. That is just the way it is, and you see it in the NFL as well.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
The NFL started this cap BS.  I suspect like many other things, some good-some not, a few supervisors decided if it is was gOod for nfl it was good for ncaa.  That may or may not be true

DD

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »
This is one aspect that is reviewable. If the referee makes an announcement as to what happened and why there is no foul it takes replay out of stopping the game. Throwing the cap came out of Chicago two years ago at the replay officials meeting. Throwing the cap again lets the replay official know that the covering official saw it and the replay official can now stay out of that aspect of the play. The replay official can still see if the receivae was actually the first to touch the ball.

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
The NFL started this cap BS.  I suspect like many other things, some good-some not, a few supervisors decided if it is was gOod for nfl it was good for ncaa.  That may or may not be true
How many supers anymore are not NFL guys?  Except for the SEC, who isn't?
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Grant - AR

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 08:40:25 PM »
How many supers anymore are not NFL guys?  Except for the SEC, who isn't?

Unless I'm mistaken, the Pac10 and ACC supervisors are not NFL guys.