Author Topic: Substitution Question  (Read 518 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Substitution Question
« on: September 22, 2023, 09:22:14 AM »
How do you handle these situations?  This scenario applies to all of the following where we have had a 'mass' substitution of incoming players or a single substitute (#5):

1.  Free Kick plays
2.  Scrimmage Kick plays
3.  All plays after a team timeout with teams huddling on the sideline
4.  Any other multiple substitution situation
5.  A single incoming substitute into the huddle or takes a place in formation

What do you do in each case:

A.  When we realize early on that we have 12 or more players in formation do we wait until the team realizes it or do we wait until we count a 2nd time (well beyond 3 seconds) and throw the flag?
B.  When we know that the 'extra' player heading off had just come in from the sideline as an incoming substitute?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 09:27:41 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Substitution Question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 01:33:10 PM »
How do you handle these situations?  This scenario applies to all of the following where we have had a 'mass' substitution of incoming players or a single substitute (#5):

1.  Free Kick plays
2.  Scrimmage Kick plays
3.  All plays after a team timeout with teams huddling on the sideline

What do you do in each case:

A.  When we realize early on that we have 12 or more players in formation do we wait until the team realizes it or do we wait until we count a 2nd time (well beyond 3 seconds) and throw the flag?
B.  When we know that the 'extra' player heading off had just come in from the sideline as an incoming substitute?

1.  Free Kick plays
ON all free kick plays, we make sure we have 11 on both teams before we hand the kicker the ball. If we have to tell the players/coaches, we do.

2.  Scrimmage Kick plays
We count and count and count again, if we need to, because this is the time we have the most "mass subs." If we get 12 or more in the formation with nobody trying to leave, we flag it for IS.

3.  All plays after a team timeout with teams huddling on the sideline.
If the team comes onto the field from the sideline after a TO, we handle it like #2. Count, Count, and if they line up with 12, we flag.

ON a regular substitution situation, we tend to wait a little longer to make sure the player realizes he's being subbed for. If we get a snap before we throw it, we blow it dead any way and have a dead ball IS

Same way here. if a sub runs on, gets in the huddle or the formation, We are looking for someone to leave. If they don't in a fair amount of time, we blow it and throw it.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 02:33:29 PM »
Pretty much what Calhoun says except in # 5 if its A in the huddle and I'm at white hat I'll usually say out loud "Somebody's gotta go" to give them one last shot to get right.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 02:46:11 PM »
Depending on game circumstances I will sometimes tell a coach to count his players... that usually gets an immediate reaction and they get it figured out pretty quick.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 10:40:19 AM »
So a brief follow-up.   Have you ever flagged a team for an incoming substitute who by definition becomes a player but then leaves the field prior to the play starting after he realizes that there are 12 players in formation?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 11:05:59 AM »
So a brief follow-up.   Have you ever flagged a team for an incoming substitute who by definition becomes a player but then leaves the field prior to the play starting after he realizes that there are 12 players in formation?

No. I have flagged a sub who became a player, then when the defense "matched up" with him, he went off and was replaced by another sub. I think intent is important in this situation. If it's an honest mistake, I'll let it go.