Author Topic: Late Night Start, Early Morning Finish  (Read 4178 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Late Night Start, Early Morning Finish
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »
We had a typical Florida lightning show last night, without a single drop of rain. We finally kicked off at 9:20 and finished at 12:03 am. Before kickoff, I told the coaches that they could shorten the quarters by mutual agreement and/or shorten halftime to not less than 10 minutes. They agreed to shorten halftime, but wanted to play 12 minute quarters.

One of our neighboring counties has a rule that no quarter can begin after 11 pm. So, if the 2nd or 3rd quarter ends at 11:05, the next quarter can't begin.  Our county doesn't have that rule. How are weather or other delays handled in your area?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Late Night Start, Early Morning Finish
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
The competing teams either agree to play it out or come back and play on another day.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:08:31 PM »
The competing teams either agree to play it out or come back and play on another day.

Same here. This week the Friday game was postponed to Sat night for lightning. We got in 7 minutes on Sat night before it was suspended until Monday night. At this rate it will be a very long game.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
The coaches and their admins have to settle it and let us know.  Normally they bump it to Saturday, some choose Monday.  This weekend a school chose to finish up a non-conference game where they are down 30-7 in the 3rd quarter on Tuesday.  Coach said on the radio that they wanted to teach the kids to finish what they start.

It's a 72 mile trip.  They play another tough, physical non-conference opponent this Friday.  I'm not sure how well thought out that decision is.

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »
In Georgia, games between two teams in the same classification have no time limit. In theory, you can be there all night. The only time I've been involved in a really long delay between teams of the same classification was about 8 years ago. It was a 30-10ish score late in the 3rd quarter. We waited about 2 1/2 hours. Finally the losing coach admitted defeat and accepted the result as a final.

Games between two teams not of the same classification have a two hour cumulative delay limit and an 11:30pm curfew. So if there's a 47 minute delay, the game gets restarted, and a 1:13 delay occurs later, the game is terminated. The 11:30pm curfew takes effect immediately even if the game is active, unless the game is in overtime.

I had a terminated game Friday. Huge cell popped up over the stadium and wasn't moving at all. After a lightning bolt was spotted 90 minutes after the delay began, the game was terminated as the 30 minutes following last visible lightning got us to the two hour delay.

We were soaked. I was incredibly thankful that the home team's equipment room manager stopped by our locker room and asked if we wanted to throw our clothes in the dryer.

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
This week the Friday game was postponed to Sat night for lightning. We got in 7 minutes on Sat night before it was suspended until Monday night. At this rate it will be a very long game.

Just curious,  where I was from we get a full game fee once the game starts.  The crew that works the suspended game, whether it be the same officials or not, will also get a full game fee.  Is this the case with most organizations???

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »
Just curious,  where I was from we get a full game fee once the game starts.  The crew that works the suspended game, whether it be the same officials or not, will also get a full game fee.  Is this the case with most organizations???

The way it works here is you get half a fee if you've left for the game. Once the clock ticks, you are entitled to a full game fee.

Offline bmem66

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
In Ohio, it is up to the coaches and adminstrators.  A few years ago we walked off at 1:30 after being delayed at the start and again at the end of the 1st quarter.   However, I have been told to get the game in if at all possible.

ECILLJ

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
In Illinois there is no time limit, but the administrators with input from their coaches have the authority to cancel, suspend and re-schedule. We receive our fees unless we are notified of a cancellation prior to leaving for the game.