Author Topic: Well it finally happened  (Read 3422 times)

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Well it finally happened
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
Yesterday I was working a sophomore game in a 4 man crew. And in the 4th quarter with Team A down by 10 with 2 min left in the game is in the red zone trying to score. This was a very competitive game. Well there was an interception and I am the LJ. Now I am in no mans land as the play is now coming towards me. I backed up and could tell the hit was coming so I braced myself for the hit. Thankfully because I saw it coming it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I took a facemask to the leg, got cut up pretty good and am bruised pretty good this morning. Thankfully I didn't feel any tears and didn't hear any pops. But my white hat did stop the game for a minute so the trainer on site could evaluate me, apparently I hit my head on the way down too. The trainer cleared me and I finished the last two minutes of the game. I am thankful it wasn't worse.

I'll be back on the field today under the lights! A little Ibuprofen should get me through the game.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
Re: Well it finally happened
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »
You have now qualified to become an umpire.  aWaRd

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
Yesterday I was working a sophomore game in a 4 man crew. And in the 4th quarter with Team A down by 10 with 2 min left in the game is in the red zone trying to score. This was a very competitive game. Well there was an interception and I am the LJ. Now I am in no mans land as the play is now coming towards me. I backed up and could tell the hit was coming so I braced myself for the hit. Thankfully because I saw it coming it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I took a facemask to the leg, got cut up pretty good and am bruised pretty good this morning. Thankfully I didn't feel any tears and didn't hear any pops. But my white hat did stop the game for a minute so the trainer on site could evaluate me, apparently I hit my head on the way down too. The trainer cleared me and I finished the last two minutes of the game. I am thankful it wasn't worse.

I'll be back on the field today under the lights! A little Ibuprofen should get me through the game.

This is why I stand on the track when working the wing.  :thumbup

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »
Most Umpires would have verified, while getting back up, whether they got credit for a solo, or just an assist.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »
Someday, someway, we all catch the truck at some point.  Glad you're ok.

I recall almost all of mine.

One of my best sideline quips ever came after I was taken out and knocked back on my yazz.  The HC came running over to check on me.  He is very small in stature but pretty thick chested as he is a serious weightlifter.  As he leaned over I said "God, I thought you'd be taller?!" The school principal was standing beside him and just lost it. LOL

Offline salth2o

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 12:55:04 PM »

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:14:46 PM »
This is why I never liked working inside. One night I zigged when I should have zagged, running back nails me square in the chest, safety nails me from behind and the battle is then on to cross the goal line.

Crew laughed later because when we crossed the goal line I started yelling "We're in! We're in!"