Author Topic: Cheat Sheet for clock operators  (Read 2694 times)

Offline JarMan69

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Cheat Sheet for clock operators
« on: August 27, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
Does anyone out there have a cheat sheet that they give there clock operators for a reference tool as a pregame?? If so could you share??

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
Re: Cheat Sheet for clock operators
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »
I used to, but its been a few years.

Here's my basic spiel, though, if it helps:

"Hey guys, thanks for coming down. I know this is probably kind of repetitive for you and I know you have probably been working the clock here for years. I just like to make sure I get to see you in person and you get to see me. Every crew kind of does a few things a little different and I just like to make sure you're familiar with our crew's process"
(I do this because they ALWAYS have one guy who says he's been running the clock for X years. This makes it to where he's receptive because I'm not criticizing HIS work, I just need him to learn our process)

Clock guy
-------------
I have 5:32. When you get up there and you set the clock for the last time, make sure it ends 3 mins before 7:30

Each Q is 12:00(in HS)/15:00(NCAA). When the 4Q is over, your job is done.

Turn off the auto-horn. If you are operating the down/distance/score as well as the clock, the clock takes precedence over anything else.

Be slow to stop the clock and quick to start it. If a player goes OOB or is tackled or scores, let the clock run for one "Mississippi" and then stop it. When the ball is snapped, do it as soon as you see the ball moving backwards. If you know the R is going to wind the clock, have your finger on the trigger and start it ASAP.

Clocks stop on the following:
OOB, INC, Penalty, Score(any score, FG, TD, SFT), all kicks, timeouts(both officials and team).

At halftime, put the clock at 24:00 and do not start it until you see our R in the EZ winding it.

DO NOT LEAVE :01 ON THE GAME CLOCK EVER!!!!

Play Clock guy
-----------------

Assume the play clock will always be set to 40. There are only 8 instances where it will go to 25:

*Start of every new quarter
*Punts <--This is one I have to change this year
*Changes of Possession
*Penalties
*Offensive Helmet off
*Defensive Helmet off
*Timeouts(Official and team. This includes measurements)
*Scores that aren't a TD <--This is one I have to change this year

On regular scrimmage plays, when you see an official kill the play, count "One Mississippi" and start the clock. On TDs, count to "Three-Mississippi".

If the play clock runs out, DO NOT reset it to 40. Just leave it at 0. I dont mind if you dont reset it again until the ball becomes dead, just to be safe.

Try not to run the play clock under 40 seconds or 25 seconds.

Look at me the whole game. If there is an issue where we need to change the play clock, I will raise either one hand(25) or both hands(40). If you dont see me, look for the white hat doing it as well.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:26:53 PM by clearwall »

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 02:48:06 PM »
When you get up there and you set the clock for the last time, make sure it ends 3 mins before 7:30

I don't know where that came from, but there is no rule or approved mechanics that supports that.  The pre-game countdown clock should be set to expire at game time, and it should run down to 0:00.  The coin toss is to happen at 3 mins prior to kickoff.  Yeah, yeah, I know, the UIL permits - but doesn't dictate - the toss to happen earlier; that's another issue for another time.  Regardless, the clock should expire at game time.  That is so everyone knows exactly when they need to be where they need to be.  No subtracting or adding time to get to the correct time.  Many, many games have radio broadcast, and they need to depend on the game starting at the correct time, and using the field clock is the only way for them and us to be on the same page for the kickoff, for them to not have to "stretch" for two or three minutes after the clock expires, waiting for the kickoff.  Or, worse, miss the kickoff.  (Although most don't work TV games, this is critical for TV games.)

I don't want lesser experienced TASO folks thinking this is the correct, or an approved, technique.  Please review the manual and follow it.  How else are we gonna achieve consistency?  And that should be one of our highest goals.

Robert

Offline clearwall

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »
Got a pre-game checklist from the MEAC and they want it set at 1 min prior to the official kickoff time, so it's not a far fetched strategy. I do it at 3 because HS kids are much less structured and HS coaches have harder times rounding their teams up and getting out on the field. The reason you do this is because most teams have a guy watching the clock tick down and if it says 5:00 on the clock, thats when they'll start heading out of the locker room. Even when we send our F/S in there to get them, they wait until the time on the clock reads a pre-determined number. Moving it up 3:00 gets em moving even faster and less likely a chance of a delay. It's worked wonders for us. I've never had a kickoff start late since I started doing this.

Offline clearwall

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 11:26:55 AM »
Speaking of which, here is that doc. It's got some other good items that I forgot to mention. The one-second thing I mentioned is item #4.

Offline fitz13

• FAN REACTION: +0/-52
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 08:12:53 AM »