Author Topic: Nothing Suprises Me  (Read 7781 times)

Offline bjfb

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
Nothing Suprises Me
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
Neither head coach on Friday night liked the rule on the restricted area. So they came to the crew of officials
working the game, told them they did not like and attempted to negotiate with the crew not to enforce it.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Re: Nothing Suprises Me
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »
So what were they willing to give up in exchange for being in the restriced area?
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

rickref

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:15:13 AM »
Ask them if they want to forget their carreers and sip dinner through straws and have someone tie their shoe laces.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »
"OK, coach, but your quarterback has to gobble like a turkey prior to throwing a pass."

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:48:22 AM »
"Coach, you keep everybody back on the track, and I promise I won't throw any flags for being in the restricted area tonight."  :)

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:57:34 AM »
I got the "I don't like that rule" comment this year already too.  It was in the pregrame when I was discussing the box with my sideline's head coach.  Eventually I reminded him via flag and sideline warning, that it didn't matter whether he liked it or not...

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »
JV game two weeks ago I started getting the old "wish the refs would worry about the field instead of us" mumbling and grumbling.
I just told them we're in what, Year 3 of the restricted area, and its not going to change.  As the game regressed, they wound up with much more to grumble about anyway.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
JV game two weeks ago I started getting the old "wish the refs would worry about the field instead of us" mumbling and grumbling.

Funny you should mention that.  I got that from an assistant when I dropped the sideline warning I mentioned above and just as I turned (no doubt with a less than happy look on my face), the head coach cut me off and said, "don't worry I'll get THAT taken care of right now" as he had a little talk with that assistant.  Probably saved himself a walkoff USC there...

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 03:17:26 PM »
Here in Texas we fought it for years and until a coach got injured badly the coaches did not take us to heart. We had the sideline warning but many officials seldom used it because they did not want to upset the coach. So used it religiously.

Now we have little problems with sidelines because statewide we are enforcing the issue.

" I don't make the rules coach!"