Author Topic: I'm +1 in the Take-Away department this year!  (Read 10363 times)

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
I'm +1 in the Take-Away department this year!
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:18:54 PM »
Umpire...RB broke through the line and took aim at the center of my chest.  I held my ground until it was imminent that he was going to take me out.  Right as he got to me, I took a couple of steps back and extended my hands in a defensive manner to cushion the blow.  Somehow, just as he bounced off me, my hand caught the ball and knocked it right out of the runner's hands and the defense recovered it!  I'm not sure if I knocked it out or if he lost it just as it got to me, but I know it had to have looked bad!  Would love to see it on film!

Offline southarkumpire

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
Re: I'm +1 in the Take-Away department this year!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »
I'm afraid that my old Linebacker instincts would have kicked in, and I would have jumped on the fumble!  ;D

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
Umpire...RB broke through the line and took aim at the center of my chest.  I held my ground until it was imminent that he was going to take me out.  Right as he got to me, I took a couple of steps back and extended my hands in a defensive manner to cushion the blow.  Somehow, just as he bounced off me, my hand caught the ball and knocked it right out of the runner's hands and the defense recovered it!  I'm not sure if I knocked it out or if he lost it just as it got to me, but I know it had to have looked bad!  Would love to see it on film!

Check the B stat book, you may have been credited with a forced fumble ;D
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

bitols

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »
Would love to see it on film!

I would not !  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:53:54 AM »
  Would love to see it on film!

ask Txmike - he might have it  ;D
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »
Yeah, but the important question - did you bean bag the spot where you stripped the ball?   ;D

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »
No he didn't! He just had this surprised look on his face. As I was coming in I was asking the closest wing " was he down, was he down" knowing he wasn't. I really felt bad having to turn and point possession the other way.................
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:58:57 AM by RickWts »
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »
I took down a linebacker tonight in a JV game tonight. He threw off his blocker and started chasing the runner without looking where he was going when he ran into me. He came up looking for a flag for BIB.
"C'mon ref I got blocked in the back.! Didn't you see that?"
"Dude that was me that you ran into."

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:48:45 AM »
Yeah, but the important question - did you bean bag the spot where you stripped the ball?   ;D
I did drop a bag at that exact spot...because that was the spot where I wanted to give the offense the ball back.  My ref is a hardass though and he said we couldn't do that. ;D

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:17 AM »
I took down a linebacker tonight in a JV game tonight. He threw off his blocker and started chasing the runner without looking where he was going when he ran into me. He came up looking for a flag for BIB.
"C'mon ref I got blocked in the back.! Didn't you see that?"
"Dude that was me that you ran into."

How did you get him in the back, Matt?

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 05:37:04 PM »
I didn't say I got him in the back.  :) That's what he wanted me to call. He turned up field without looking and didn't know I was there. We actually hit shoulder to shoulder.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »
I didn't say I got him in the back.  :) That's what he wanted me to call. He turned up field without looking and didn't know I was there. We actually hit shoulder to shoulder.

Shoulder to shoulder, clean block, no foul.

LOL