Author Topic: Dr. Redding's PostSeason Notes  (Read 1830 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Dr. Redding's PostSeason Notes
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:28:36 PM »
Let me offer my sincere congratulations to those selected for playoff and bowl games. Having the opportunity to officiate in the postseason is a goal that all officials set for themselves every season. The reality of the numbers is that there are far more officials who are deserving of bowl assignments than there are games to work. As teams advance through the D-II and D-III playoffs and as the bowl season gets started tomorrow, I want to offer some brief thoughts that might help your performance.
BE PREPARED This seems so obvious, but too often we take a postseason assignment more as a reward for great work and less as a challenge. The playoff games are obviously very meaningful because championships are at stake. The bowls, other than the BCS championship game, are not as meaningful in a championship sense but they are clearly important games in the scheme of American college football. So prepare yourself no less diligently than for the toughest regular-season contest.
ENFORCE THE RULES There is sometimes a tendency in a bowl game to be more “forgiving” of unsportsmanlike behavior on the part of players and coaches than we are in the regular season. But the image of the game is still an important concern, especially since there is more national exposure of a given bowl game than of many games in the regular season. Continue to use good judgment, continue to allow for the immediate spontaneous exuberance of youth, and continue to respond with the flag if circumstances call for it.
PLAYER SAFETY
We have seen this season fewer serious fouls for targeting and blows to the head/neck area than in the past. Continue to be diligent about the safety of the student-athlete by strictly enforcing those rules that address safety.
SEE IT—KNOW IT—CALL IT Let me encourage you to continue the fine officiating that earned you your assignment. Don’t succumb to the temptation to over-officiate. Let
the play come to you. Before drawing out your flag, pause for a brief count to make sure of what you have. See it—know it—call it. This drill will force you to take that extra small bit of time to allow you to process what you have just seen and to exercise sound judgment.
EXCELLENCE IS THE ONLY OPTION We will never be perfect but we can always strive for our best. Look at every postseason game as another opportunity to excel.
Once again—congratulations! I appreciate all the hard work and commitment on the part of everyone to make 2011 season a great one.
Rogers Redding
National Coordinator of Football Officials
December 16, 2011