Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Arm Sleeves
« Last post by dammitbobby on Today at 08:58:12 AM »
Thanks, I'll definitely try those, I'm a big fan of Stance and Bombas socks... it's amazing the difference a quality pair of socks can make in how your feet feel - I'll never, ever, ever go back to wearing cheap cotton socks again.
« Last post by sczeebra on Today at 06:01:25 AM »
While we were talking about socks here I just wanted to post a thread(pun intended) for a company close to Ralph in Vermont, Darn Tough Vermont. I have been wearing wool socks as part of my uniform and at home for years. If anyone is not familiar with the wearing of wool IMHO there is nothing better. They will keep your feet regulated (warm or cool) but the best part of the deal is as Frank Zappa would say, you will avoid Bromhidrosis the legendary Stink-Foot. Try them and watch out where the huskies go!
Texas Topics / Re: PROP Approved Rules changes - now we wait for the UIL
« Last post by Zebra Watcher on Yesterday at 04:58:52 PM »
You are right Etref. I apologize for my part in taking this thread in the wrong direction for what it is intended for.
Thank you for the welcome Cosmokramer1. What are your thoughts on this old but new rule?
« Last post by Etref on Yesterday at 01:01:10 PM »
Perhaps all should reread the Guidelines for Texas Forum stickied at the top of this forum.
« Last post by AlUpstateNY on Yesterday at 07:58:00 AM »
1982 :  1-5-1d.... Pants required.

As an Umpire...I would like to personally thank whoever came up with this one....otherwise I'd spend my late Friday nights rinsing my eyes with Clorox!   :!#

I believe "Rule making" is often the simplest way of avoiding/eliminating really stupid objections that most often amount to abstract nonsense.  Unfortunately, "Creative thinking" too often produces little more than "Why can't we" nonsense.  Football, like any/every other game, creates rules to maintain a level, consistent playing opportunity and are generally intended to realistically create practical guidelines for  general participation, applicable for ALL participants.  Annual rule reviews, considerations & adjustments (where/when necessary) are designed to insure continued relevance to each specific sport.

Such periodic reviews are designed to adjust rules, where considered necessary, to maintain an/or continue relevance to their particular sport/activity, and eliminate/avoid irrelevant modifications that are deemed unnecessary, or do not apply to general participation to the intended audience.

Participants, Coaches & Administrators are REQUIRED to accept & adhere to their chosen sport's current rules. Should/If/When existing rules/requirements become objectionable, the athlete/coach/administrator has absolute discretion to consider wide range of alternate activities to consider participation each of which, very likely require their own rule requirements, based on their own unique activity.
« Last post by Cosmokramer1 on Yesterday at 07:56:19 AM »
I love the discussion taking place.  I just wanted to welcome Zebra Watcher as a second or third year official in Texas.  He has entered that stage of officiating in which he's done a couple of sub-varsity game in which he was able to control the narrative of the game with the coaches so now he has the confidence to carry that over to the varsity field to work the stadium games and get ready for his upcoming state championship assignment.  Well done sir.  You are definitely on your way to AT&T. 
« Last post by bama_stripes on Yesterday at 07:21:48 AM »
I had a kicker this past season who came in to try an XP barefooted.  After I sent him off, they lined up to go for two, having no other kicker available.
« Last post by Ralph Damren on Yesterday at 07:04:40 AM »
Sorry to distract, but I’ve always thought it strange that, in NCAA, socks are required, but shoes are not. Go figure.
For many schools in cold climates, going barefoot could cause frostbite . May I suggest LLBean's Artic Tundra Socks, as loosing a toe or two to frostbite could effect one's kicking ability.
« Last post by Ralph Damren on Yesterday at 06:45:34 AM »
The shoe rule was probably in response to Dick Kenney the barefooted kicker for Michigan State in the 60,s. He arrived at MSU in 1963 from Iolani HS. Honolulu Hawaii. Duffy Daugherty made him wear a shoe for his first year then relaxed his stance(pun intended). Question: Was Hawaii in the National Federation for HS sports in back then. Or were they skeered the might become a new fad?
Hawaii joined the NFHS in 1958, a year before statehood. Alaska joined in in 1951, before their statehood also in 1959. Useless knowledge : Hawaii became a state in August ,1959. Alaska became one before July 4th, The flag rule is if statehood occurred prior to 7/4 a star would be added, so the 'Alaska flag' flew 49 stars until 7/4/1960 when Hawaii's star was added.
The Gogolak brothers may have caused this short lived fad by kicking barefoot for the Giants and Redskins back then.
« Last post by Zebra Watcher on April 25, 2024, 08:00:55 PM »
Whoa at ElvisLives.....I didn't know "@" would cause such emotional damage and trigger you by taking liberties with your user name. A thousand apologies.
The vast check list of items you fight for is quite impressive. Based on it, you provide a great service to the games with integrity in an efficient and constructive manner by going above and beyond what UIL asks. I can appreciate it along with coaches, players, and parents.
I won't pretend to know what you will and won't enforce but based on your checklist, you appear to enforce most rules. I am just going off the language towards the new uniform rule you have written about on here. I would imagine you would enforce this rule since it would go well with your esteemed checklist of services you provide. Writing incident reports on it when coaches get upset about will just be part of it. We are trying to turn a giant ship in the right direction and that will take a little bit of time, a few more incident reports, but will take all of us to do it.
I guess I am naive thinking this rule is a step in the right direction with coaches, UIL, and TASO. Only time will tell us this. The coaches too.
Again.. a thousand apologies for the "@" at ElvisLives
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10