Author Topic: inadvertent whistle  (Read 1344 times)

Offline skt101

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
inadvertent whistle
« on: September 13, 2021, 09:13:07 AM »
on the point after try, team A fumbles the snap. A1 recovers and runs around the end where there are no team B members and A1 strolls into the endzone untouched. Just before A1 crosses the goalline, official from opposite side blows his whistle. What is the correct ruling?

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
Re: inadvertent whistle
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »
The correct ruling: Replay the try.

However, contrary to a recent thread, I believe there are situations to bury an IW if possible. This is one of those situations.
Just before A1 crosses the goalline, official from opposite side blows his whistle.
I would contend that the whistle sounded AFTER ball hit the GL.
PAT=2pts

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 11:52:55 AM »
Not sure I agree or disagree with that, but the only circumstance in which I would even entertain this, is one where there were absolutely no B players even remotely near A11, and it was VERY obvious he would score.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 01:17:02 PM »
Not sure I agree or disagree with that, but the only circumstance in which I would even entertain this, is one where there were absolutely no B players even remotely near A11, and it was VERY obvious he would score.

Judgment is a key talent on your tool belt.  As suggested the IW was possibly simultaneous to the runner crossing the goal line, as he was not threatened, or even close to opposition, it's reasonable to presume the whistle was in recognition of the score and simply killing the play after the fact.   Unless there was any formal challenge to the call, a confirmation signal by the Referee seems appropriate, and any further explanation unnecessary.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 05:27:11 PM »
The problem is, it's NOT after the fact. As long as it's uncontested, we're likely calling that whistle after the fact.  And if challenged, again, if no one in sight, it's a score.  If there was any doubt whatsoever, as to whether or not B could prevent him from getting there:  IW.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 06:58:17 AM »
on the point after try, team A fumbles the snap. A1 recovers and runs around the end where there are no team B members and A1 strolls into the endzone untouched. Just before A1 crosses the goalline, official from opposite side blows his whistle. What is the correct ruling?

2 points for A.  I doubt that anyone but us would even notice the early whistle.