Author Topic: Ball placement before snap  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Brian26

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Ball placement before snap
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:23:33 AM »
I had a WH tell the ump that he needed to ask the center before the game how he wanted the ball placed, including the long axis being parallel to the line of scrimmage. My understanding per 7.1.2 is the  long axis of the ball HAS to be at right angle to line of scrimmage?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Ball placement before snap
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 09:53:02 AM »
I had a WH tell the ump that he needed to ask the center before the game how he wanted the ball placed, including the long axis being parallel to the line of scrimmage. My understanding per 7.1.2 is the  long axis of the ball HAS to be at right angle to line of scrimmage?

Making "friends" with each snapper is a valuable & worth while effort for an Umpire, and asking each "How do you want the laces" (and following through) is a great way to develop that friendship.  Changing the long axis is another story, and perhaps a "bridge too far".

Offline Brian26

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »
Making "friends" with each snapper is a valuable & worth while effort for an Umpire, and asking each "How do you want the laces" (and following through) is a great way to develop that friendship.  Changing the long axis is another story, and perhaps a "bridge too far".

Can the long axis of the ball be placed parallel to the line of scrimmage? The WH said it could but it had to be placed that way all game for that team and any first down  measurements would be done with the ball in that position.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 02:39:28 PM »

Can the long axis of the ball be placed parallel to the line of scrimmage? The WH said it could but it had to be placed that way all game for that team and any first down  measurements would be done with the ball in that position.

The closest instruction I could find to answer your question is NFHS: 7-1-2, but the entire 7-1 section is worth careful review and study to avoid problems.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 03:10:35 PM »
Most umpires know what to do and ask and should tell the WH to go butt a stump.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 09:41:22 PM »
...go butt a stump.

Spoken like a true Tar Heel.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 07:45:00 AM »
Spoken like a true Tar Heel.

Technically a Catamount but guilty as charged. ;D

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
7.1.2 is clear.  The WH was wrong.

My Friday night U stands over the ball and asks the snapper how he wants the laces.  Sometimes it becomes a too long conversation.  I don't like it.  I think it needlessly draws attention to us and slows down the game, but will never say anything to my U about it.

I frequently U sub-varsity games.  I make sure to watch what the center does with the laces the first time he snaps the ball and then that's where I place them the rest of the game.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 07:13:38 AM »
IMHO, where 7-1-2 allows the snapper to lift the ball for BACKWARD PASS rotation, asking is not needed. Often you have four snappers per game , including those that snap for scrimmage kicks. IMHO, just spotting with the laces straight up (like my bourbon) will be all that's needed.

Of course my opinion is not always correct, as per....

AATROS RULE....RED SOX SUCK :puke:

(4TH POST...1 TO GO  hEaDbAnG

note: it seems the "L ...word" is replaced by "Backward Pass" . The actual word can be found under 7-1-2, 7th word,1st sentence.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:07:53 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 10:32:47 AM »
spotting with the laces straight up ... will be all that's needed.
+1

Can the long axis of the ball be placed parallel to the line of scrimmage?
No

first down measurements would be done with the ball in that position.
NO
5-3-2: "... The ball shall be placed with its long axis parallel with the sideline before measurement..."

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »
note: it seems the "L ...word" is replaced by "Backward Pass" . The actual word can be found under 7-1-2, 7th word,1st sentence.

Not sure why this is such a hot button word (l**eral) since Miriam-Webster defines it as:

l**eral noun

Definition of l**ral (Entry 2 of 3)
2 : a pass in football thrown parallel to the line of scrimmage or in a direction away from the opponent's goal

Which when applied to football is 100% correct.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 10:55:45 AM »
Not sure why this is such a hot button word (l**eral) since Miriam-Webster defines it as:

l**eral noun

Definition of l**ral (Entry 2 of 3)
2 : a pass in football thrown parallel to the line of scrimmage or in a direction away from the opponent's goal
In true  z^ jargon ,I believe "backward pass" is preferred to "the L word" . 2-31-5 uses the term : parallel, in lieu of the L-word.

Which when applied to football is 100% correct.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 11:20:17 AM »

I don't disagree but technically the L-word is 100% correct when applied to football.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 07:05:40 PM »
I don't disagree but technically the L-word is 100% correct when applied to football.

Sorry, but the ONLY directional words used  in describing  "Passing" (NFHS: 2-31-1 through 6) are "forward" and "backward".  Any reference to "lateral" was stricked long ago.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 08:14:21 AM »
Sorry, but the ONLY directional words used  in describing  "Passing" (NFHS: 2-31-1 through 6) are "forward" and "backward".  Any reference to "lateral" was stricked long ago.
Agree that's what the rules say but a pass parallel to the LOS is by definition in the english language not backward, but it is l**eral.   ;)  :sTiR:

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 08:47:07 AM »
Agree that's what the rules say but a pass parallel to the LOS is by definition in the english language not backward, but it is l**eral.   ;)  :sTiR:

Perhaps, but to avoid endless confusion and petty bickering the term "lateral" (as in: lateral pass) has been removed, and stricken, from the rules of NFHS football, so it's application, or consideration, specific, to that Game is non-existent, or relevant.