Author Topic: Fumble recovery in end zone  (Read 10376 times)

Offline okhall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Fumble recovery in end zone
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
A1 is running toward the end zone and sideline when he is hit and flips in the air on the 1 yard line.  While he is in the air, the ball comes out and lands in the end zone.  A2 was knocked down simultaneously and recovers the ball, but his feet are out of bounds.  Touch down or Touch Back?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:34:31 PM by okhall »

maven

Re: Fumble recover in end zone
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »
Touchback. Touching precedes possession, and the touch made the ball OOB behind the GL, A's fumble having forced it into the EZ.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Re: Fumble recovery in end zone
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
Think of the sidelines as full of electricity. When a player touches the boundary with any part of his body, he becomes electrocuted.

Did he get the ball before or after being electrocuted? He must CLEARLY get the ball BEFORE getting electrocuted.

Note that if the BALL becomes electrocuted by touching anything electrocuted, the BALL is dead.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:14:50 PM by bbeagle »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »
Think of the sidelines as full of electricity.

If only it were so.....

ALStripes17

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »
Think of the sidelines as full of electricity.

I guess a ground wire will have to be added to our gear ...  and a protective covering for the umpires'  sNiCkErS

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »
If only it were so.....

I'd prefer an "electric fence" two yards outside of the sideline and endline...  As a wing, I need to be able to at least stand on the sideline.  :)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »
A1 is running toward the end zone and sideline when he is hit and flips in the air on the 1 yard line.  While he is in the air, the ball comes out and lands in the end zone.  A2 was knocked down simultaneously and recovers the ball, but his feet are out of bounds.  Touch down or Touch Back?
Welcome, OKHall, to the forum; may you find it both enjoyable and informative. I'd would like to modify your play and test my forum buddies : A2 dives for loose ball in endzone, misses, slides OOB, jumps back up and jumps on ball still loose in EZ while not touching OOB. Does his band play, cheerleaders prance and prom queen swoon ;D, or...... ??? ^TD You make the call......

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:22:18 AM »
Welcome, OKHall, to the forum; may you find it both enjoyable and informative. I'd would like to modify your play and test my forum buddies : A2 dives for loose ball in endzone, misses, slides OOB, jumps back up and jumps on ball still loose in EZ while not touching OOB. Does his band play, cheerleaders prance and prom queen swoon ;D, or...... ??? ^TD You make the call......
His own end zone or B's?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
B's end zone, as OP implied. Bonus question ,AB : (1) Sox in 6; (2) Sox in 7; (3) Cards in 7 ?

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:50 AM »
B's end zone, as OP implied. Bonus question ,AB : (1) Sox in 6; (2) Sox in 7; (3) Cards in 7 ?
What we have here is going to get ugly.  And no, the band isn't going to play. Yet.

Illegal Participation by A, who went OOB without being blocked out, came back in, and grabbed the ball.

Good news for A, all is not lost.  Since the foul happened during a loose ball play running play, enforce from the previous spot end of the run, and A gets to replay the down (enforcement assumes  fumble came in front of the LOS)

Sox in 6,  I think they end it tonight, and the ghosts of Fenway, haunting the place since 1918, can finally be put to rest.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:48:09 AM by Atlanta Blue »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »
Excellent, AB, the end of the run was the spot of the fumble - the 1 , this would move the ball back to B's 16 with the down replayed if it fell within the old series. Knowing your baseball knowledge, the obstruction call in game 3 was correct, but it appeared the obstructed runner never touched home. Could the Sox have put the ball in play and appealed as the infielders hadn't yet :sTiR: :sTiR: left the field - heck, they were all gathered around home arguing!!

maven

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »
Could the Sox have put the ball in play and appealed as the infielders hadn't yet left the field...

I'm not AB, but I can answer your question.

The defense is entitled by rule to appeal what they take to be a missed base. You are correct that they must do so before the infielders leave the field.

The umpires would have denied the appeal. DeMuth scored that run — pretty emphatically — so there was no point appealing a missed base. And any umpire who granted that appeal in that situation would have some 'splainin' to do. :)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
I'm not AB, but I can answer your question.

The defense is entitled by rule to appeal what they take to be a missed base. You are correct that they must do so before the infielders leave the field.

The umpires would have denied the appeal. DeMuth scored that run — pretty emphatically — so there was no point appealing a missed base. And any umpire who granted that appeal in that situation would have some 'splainin' to do. :)
....and probably some running to do..... I believe reading once where the officials were rescued by a helicopter at midfield after a South American soccer match!

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »

Not so fast, my friend.  An award is the right to advance without liability of being put out, BUT runners must still touch their awarded bases, unless there's a reason they physically couldn't.

Whether a proper appeal would have been upheld - -we'll never know.  But it should.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Excellent, AB, the end of the run was the spot of the fumble - the 1 , this would move the ball back to B's 16 with the down replayed if it fell within the old series. Knowing your baseball knowledge, the obstruction call in game 3 was correct, but it appeared the obstructed runner never touched home. Could the Sox have put the ball in play and appealed as the infielders hadn't yet :sTiR: :sTiR: left the field - heck, they were all gathered around home arguing!!

I first said loose ball play as I was thinking the fumble came from the backfield.  In rereading, I realized it never said, so given that it was at the one, I assumed it was in front of the LOS.  Had the fumble been from behind the LOS, I would go with previous spot enforcement.

As for the OBS: yes, the call was correct.  And when Craig was tagged out at the plate, DeMuth killed the play and AWARDED home to Craig, based on the OBS call.  Do runners have to touch awarded bases?  Yes, unless there are circumstances beyond their control which prevent it.  One of those circumstances mentioned is fans rushing the field.  In this case, players (and managers and coaches) rushed the field.

If they didn't leave the field, COULD the Red Sox have appealed that Craig missed home?  They COULD.  But from a practical standpoint, good luck, it's never going to be upheld.

maven

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
Whether a proper appeal would have been upheld - -we'll never know.  But it should.

If they didn't leave the field, COULD the Red Sox have appealed that Craig missed home?  They COULD.  But from a practical standpoint, good luck, it's never going to be upheld.

This.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 01:41:07 AM »
Sox win. Every time the Sox have won since breaking the curse, the Pats win the Superbowl. Place your bets.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »
Grandpappy used to say : "A rooster who crows before sunup will soon make someone a supper eAt&." Well, the suns now up AND  8] 8] 8] 8] 8] 8]:'(. There IS joy in Mudville (and Red Sox Nation) as Big Papi (and the Flying Hawaiian) did NOT strike out!!! ;D aWaRd