Author Topic: NFHS on Blocking During Onside Kick Plays  (Read 27320 times)

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
Re: NFHS on Blocking During Onside Kick Plays
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »
...But in FED, this wouldn't be an Illegal Block.

REPLY: Joe, Of course now that the 2012 Fed rule changes have been published, we can't say that anymore. Bigger question is if we can develop the proper mechanics to cover this properly.
Bob M.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »
REPLY: Joe, Of course now that the 2012 Fed rule changes have been published, we can't say that anymore. Bigger question is if we can develop the proper mechanics to cover this properly.

Will be very interested in any special mechanics advice available for 4 man, or even 5 man KO mechanics.  Currently, in a  4 man configuration, the Linesman has been advised to focus on the Teed ball to first determine whether the ball was kicked directly into the air, or downward into the ground, then to refocus on whatever action followed, including whether the ball traveled beyond R's line and if touched before that point, which team first touched it.

In a 4 man crew, I wouldn't anticipate there will be a lot of "early" blocks detected as a result of this rule change, simply because not a lot of early blocks will be seen in the midst of the chaos that usually results from an onside kick.  I suspect in 5 Man, we might be able to move the BJ up somewhat to help, but that will only work where an onside kick is anticipated, and obviously will create a gap elsewhere.

Just have to do the best we can.

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
REPLY: The problem we'll face is that the official who is in the best position to see 'early' blocks during onside kicks is likely to be the one who needs to concentrate on whether or not the ball crossed the neutral zone. "A man can't serve two masters."
Bob M.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
REPLY: The problem we'll face is that the official who is in the best position to see 'early' blocks during onside kicks is likely to be the one who needs to concentrate on whether or not the ball crossed the neutral zone. "A man can't serve two masters."

Yep.  The covering official will have to (re)train himself to watch blocking until the ball threatens the NZ, while at the same time making sure the ball hasn't been touched by R.  Good luck!

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »

I disagree - the off-official on the R line will be the one to see the blocking the best while the covering official on the R line will have the ball.

Now that I type this, I realize you guys run 5 man and are talking about normal onside kicks, not obvious situation.  I run 6 man, so it won't be as hard (or if you guys are in obvious onside kick situation it won't be as hard). 

You may have to adjust your 5 man mechanics and put 3 in the box with 2 guys deep on normal kick plays...

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
I agree in theory in putting 3 for potential on-sides, but that leaves only 2 deep - where most of the action is most of the time.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »

Saying what we should do, and then doing what we say, are two distinctly different things.  "A man can't serve two masters", seems a lot closer to reality than instructing to simply, "See more of what you're looking at".  Of course one very desireable option would be for the NFHS to MANDATE 6 man crews, to help some of us leave the mechanics of the 1960s to being fond memories.

Perhaps this is just another example of a long line of "things that look good on paper", which always reminds me of the warning, "You can draw a picture of a beautiful women, but you can't make love to it." (or words to that effect).

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
...one very desireable option would be for the NFHS to MANDATE 6 man crews...
That will NEVER happen. And I emphasize NEVER, as that is a very long time!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »
I guess we are spoiled.  ALL of our varsity games are either 6 or 7 man crews.  Five is the absolute minimum allowed for a legal game, and we haven't had a varsity five man crew in MANY years.  I understand some rural areas of the state do some games with 5 man crews, but they are the rare exception.  Add to this that ECOs are officials with the crew, not school employees.  We usually have 5 (and sometmes 6) man crews for JV and Freshman games.

Now if Georgia can do it, why couldn't it be done everywhere?

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »
I guess we are spoiled.  ALL of our varsity games are either 6 or 7 man crews.  Five is the absolute minimum allowed for a legal game, and we haven't had a varsity five man crew in MANY years.  I understand some rural areas of the state do some games with 5 man crews, but they are the rare exception.  Add to this that ECOs are officials with the crew, not school employees.  We usually have 5 (and sometmes 6) man crews for JV and Freshman games.

Numbers of available warm bodies and money are two places to start.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »

Our SAT scores may suck, but we da#n sure support our football!

Offline bossman72

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:58 AM »

5/6 man for JV / Frosh games!!??!!???   WOW!  We are lucky to have 4 and usually have 3.

Well, I shouldn't be surprised... this IS a school district that can afford a kicking coach  :)

Usually when schools around here look to cut costs on athletic budgets, they unfortunately cut the number of officials on sub-varsity games. This is why our area has 3 officials on a game for sub-varsity.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

For us, it was a matter of warm bodies more than money.  We had three huge recruiting classes in a row, and have been able to go to 7-man crews on virtually all of out AAA games last year.  We still send 5-man crews out to the boonies, because the schools don't want to pay travel for that many officials, and there's occasionally a AAA game where we're short on bodies.  Our AAA schools are still paying the same amount per crew for 7 that they were for 5, and we're divvying it up 7 ways, so it's effectively a bit of a "pay cut", but those games don't involve travel, so very few officials mind.

From what I hear from our board, the goal over the next couple of seasons is to eliminate the disparity between the 7-man and 5-man pay per official, so it looks like the AAA rates will go up and the AA and A rates will probably stay the same.  Though we did get a surprising $10 per game raise last season...

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »
I know we are off topic, but I had to get this in. Forget MANY... Arkansas schools don't want to pay travel for ANY officials. Three of four 7A/6A conferences eliminated paying mileage in the next cycle and are going to a flat fee beginning this fall. The sad part about it all was that the first cut came in the west, where crowds average over 10k, and where they can well afford it. News never traveled so fast from west to east!
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bossman72

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:55 PM »
I know we are off topic, but I had to get this in. Forget MANY... Arkansas schools don't want to pay travel for ANY officials. Three of four 7A/6A conferences eliminated paying mileage in the next cycle and are going to a flat fee beginning this fall. The sad part about it all was that the first cut came in the west, where crowds average over 10k, and where they can well afford it. News never traveled so fast from west to east!

No travel money in PA... 

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 07:45:59 AM »
For FL, the State allows for $0.60 (I believe) per mile, one way.
My assn has a flat fee for every school.
So no matter if I'm across the street or 60 miles down the road the travel $ is the same.  It works itself out in the wash over the course of the season from traveling to far & close schools.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »

Back "in the day" (even with 4-man), and later with the BJ, we used to have them with the ball on all kick-offs - giving us a good inside-out look.  Does anyone think bringing the U (or BJ) back into the center of the field would give us a better perspective on these blocking fouls?  I admit there might be an issue with "depth perception" when the ball is close to the 50; but I would think just slight movement by the U/BJ could provide an adequate angle.