Author Topic: Take the Clock on the field.  (Read 2064 times)

Offline QAfta

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
Take the Clock on the field.
« on: November 01, 2018, 07:59:01 AM »
As B, I normally go up to the press box before game to talk to the clock operators.  (Because they never seem to come down to us, but that is another story.)   This week started my normal talk about clock operations, but had two that said we've been doing this for a long time and don't get any complaints.  Reminded them about the new 40 second play clock rules and they said they got it.  So when I go down to the field, R asks how it went.  Well, I said my bet is we are going to have issues.   

Well, game starts, 25 second play clock almost all the time.  When they put it on 40 second, would start it like 10-15 seconds late.  Had to correct the main clock 6 times because 12-15 seconds run off after we stop the clock.  Chain gang tells the H that they have been like this all year.  It is a close game, so we ask the head coach at halftime, to have someone ask the clock operators to come to our locker room so we can talk about the clock. 

The clock operators send a ball boy to the locker room and says they are in the press box if we want to talk to them.... Well, that when over real well.  R says well there goes their second chance.  Come out at half time, and tell both coaches we will be keeping the clock on the field and to tell the clock operators to turn it off. 

No issues with the clock the rest of the game.  Ended up a 7 point game, only complaint was from one LOUD fan for the entire 3rd Q yelling "Yeah Refs you got to turn on the clock, the clocks not running."  Clock sitting at 0:00 the whole time.   

So, the question is, when is your breaking point to take the clock from the press box. 

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Take the Clock on the field.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »
I would say my breaking point is exactly as your's was.  If they have demonstrated poor understanding of clock operation, and refuse to accept instruction, they are done. And I would file an incident report with UIL.  Then your chapter should communicate with that school and advise them that the clock operators will need to report to the officials dressing room 60 minutes before game time for a brief conference, and, if they don't, the game officials will continue to run both clocks on the field.  If that happens, they need to understand that your ability to officiate the action on the field will be compromised.  If they are OK with that, then so be it.
Sadly, this is not an isolated case.  It may not be a rampant problem, particularly in urban areas, but it is definitely an issue in more rural areas. This is an issue that needs discussion between our TASO leadership and the UIL.

Robert

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »
Along those lines, I have a game tonight that's likely to be a horrendous blowout.  We never see the clock operators at this field either.  I guess they think they've been doing it forever and they know more than us.  Regardless.... 

The teams I have tonight are incredibly mismatched.  The better team beat a team two weeks ago 60 - 0.  The team that lost just beat the better teams opponent for tonight 60 - 0.  I sure hope it isn't 120 - 0!  I have not wound the clock in the second quarter in a very long time, but might get to do that tonight. 

I really advocate giving a radio to the clock operator.  It makes things run so much smoother.  If they aren't chapter guys, you can give them small radio and the R can keep a radio on the that frequency in his pocket and use it when and if needed.  But, if they never come to the locker room you're not going to get the opportunity to give them a radio. 

Offline QAfta

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »
We did file an incident report and let the chapter know.  But this is not a school we normally cover as a chapter so can only go so far. 

Offline Comeback1

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »
I agree! Sound move taking over the time on the field. File incident report with the state and let them handle.