Author Topic: Training Camps  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Rmars86

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Training Camps
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »
Was looking for some advice.   I just finished my first year as an official and was lucky enough to work 12 varsity games, including 2 playoff games.  I received high marks across the board and am wanting to put in the work towards becoming a collegiate official (in a number of years, after a lot of work)

That being said, I received a list of camps/ clinics for this upcoming off-season.  Researching the camps leave a lot to be desired.  I know that there are some that are known as "want to be seen" type camps, but those are the ones I would like to avoid - I want to work on my craft for the next year or two before even thinking about that.

Which camps would be best solely for training and improving yourself, as opposed to the collegiate recruiting grounds?

SWCFO Kickoff Clinic - Dallas, TX
Southern California Football Officials Clinic - Carson, CA
Tom Beard East Football Camp - Baltimore, MD
HM Football Camp - Houston, TX
El Paso Football Camp - El Paso, TX
Wes Booker Football Officials Camp - Little Rock, AR
Tait Consul Football Officials Clinic - Cedar City, UT

Thank you

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
Re: Training Camps
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »
I was told never go to a camp for the reason of getting picked up. They should all be about improving yourself and getting better. I'm going to the SWCFO one and I attended last year. We will have classroom, scrimmages/practice with evaluators on the field with you, and then we will work the International Bowl by USA Football. I think it's a great camp, personally. I've heard that the El Paso camp is not as good as it once was, but maybe that was a 1 year fluke. I hear they have video that you and your evaluator dissect on the second or third day before you leave. That is a cool feature.

Offline linesman87

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:17:58 PM »
I have enjoyed the SWCFO camp over the past few years. Good evaluation and class room Training.  I’m trying the California clinic in January this year to see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
As just finishing your first year you should not waste your time on a camp, you are not ready.  Work as many snaps as you can, pull chains, work peewees, do it all, after a year or two of that maybe look into a camp.

Offline Cowtown Ref

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
I disagree with 1st Year Guy!

No reason not to go after your 1st year.  Youll learn more from a college camp than you will anywhere else.

Don't get me wrong, his other is advice is good to.  But if you got the time and money, go for it.  If you wait till youre "ready", youll never go.

Offline Archie

• FAN REACTION: +6/-4
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »
The El Paso Camp (14th Annual) will be May 24-25. Registration will open later this month at elpasocamp.com