Author Topic: Forward progress reviewable?  (Read 7610 times)

Offline Osric Pureheart

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
  • 1373937 or 308?
Forward progress reviewable?
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »
G'day.  Hypothetical for everyone.

The ballcarrier is contacted by a defender, held and thrown backwards.  At some point after contact (but potentially before he was held and thrown backwards), he loses control of the ball and drops it.  The covering official blows it dead for forward progress; the ball is immediately recovered by Team B.

Is this a reviewable play?  If it isn't, could someone please give me a rule reference?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Forward progress reviewable?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
12-3-3-d says this is reviewable. Then again, I haven't really paid any attention to the replay rules as we don't use it over here.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 05:59:12 PM »
G'day.  Hypothetical for everyone.

The ballcarrier is contacted by a defender, held and thrown backwards.  At some point after contact (but potentially before he was held and thrown backwards), he loses control of the ball and drops it.  The covering official blows it dead for forward progress; the ball is immediately recovered by Team B.

Is this a reviewable play?  If it isn't, could someone please give me a rule reference?
Not all that hypothetical, except it was a scimmage kick play. You must have been watching Alabama/Arkansas.  ;)
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline sj_31

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
Forward progress is not reviewable in this case. Forward progress is only reviewable with regards to a line to gain or a goal line. There's really not a good rule reference (nor is it explicitly in the 2012 casebook) other than the fact that it's not mentioned and anything that's not listed is not reviewable.

Another way to think about this is that unless the GL or LTG is involved, the replay official cannot override your judgment of when forward progress was stopped. That's your call on the field.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 02:50:47 PM »
Forward progress is not reviewable in this case. Forward progress is only reviewable with regards to a line to gain or a goal line. There's really not a good rule reference (nor is it explicitly in the 2012 casebook) other than the fact that it's not mentioned and anything that's not listed is not reviewable.

Isn't this a case of reviewing a ruling of a dead ball in player possession, not forward progress?

Offline sj_31

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
What makes the ball dead?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:17 AM »
What makes the ball dead?

The forward progress being stopped, obviously. But, my point is that rule 12-3-3-d allows the replay to rule on the aspect of the ball being in possession of the runner when the forward progress was ruled to stop, not the aspect of forward progress itself. The replay could not change the spot, but can change the status of the ball at that spot.

Or is rule 12-3-3-d only applied when ruling on the runner going to the ground?

Offline sj_31

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »
Kalle,

You are correct to interpret that 12-3-3-d only applies to runner down by rule, not forward progress. Yes I agree that it is poorly worded but all the replay guys that I work with will always say that forward progress is not reviewable unless a LTG or GL is involved.