Author Topic: Helmet rule impacts outcome  (Read 3480 times)

refemup

Helmet rule impacts outcome
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »
I apologize in advance for the long post, but here goes.  DIII game between Augsburg (AC) & Gustavus (GAC). GAC 24-AC 20, GAC intercepts with 0:54 remaining.  On 1st & 2nd downs, GAC takes a knee and AC uses last two timeouts. On 3rd down, GAC decides to run a play, and after a short gain, the runners helmet comes off while being tackled.  Despite vehement protest from the GAC coach, the play clock is correctly set to 25, and because the 10 second runoff is refused, the game clock is started on the snap with 0:42 on the clock.  The ensuing punt results in a touchback, and AC takes over @ the 20YL with 0:34 remaining.  A six play drive culminates in a 42 yard TD pass as time expires.  AC sideline swarms the field (UNS), and during the celebration, a AC player hits a GAC player in the facemask with a forearm resulting in a PF and ejection.  After clearing the field, the try from the 33YL is a kneel down, game over, AC 26-GAC 24.  How do you like them apples?

El Macman

Re: Helmet rule impacts outcome
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
I apologize in advance for the long post, but here goes.  DIII game between Augsburg (AC) & Gustavus (GAC). GAC 24-AC 20, GAC intercepts with 0:54 remaining.  On 1st & 2nd downs, GAC takes a knee and AC uses last two timeouts. On 3rd down, GAC decides to run a play, and after a short gain, the runners helmet comes off while being tackled.  Despite vehement protest from the GAC coach, the play clock is correctly set to 25, and because the 10 second runoff is refused, the game clock is started on the snap with 0:42 on the clock.  The ensuing punt results in a touchback, and AC takes over @ the 20YL with 0:34 remaining.  A six play drive culminates in a 42 yard TD pass as time expires.  AC sideline swarms the field (UNS), and during the celebration, a AC player hits a GAC player in the facemask with a forearm resulting in a PF and ejection.  After clearing the field, the try from the 33YL is a kneel down, game over, AC 26-GAC 24.  How do you like them apples?

Get 'em fitted properly and strap 'em on, boys. If they had, this would not have been a problem. Bad coaching.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »
Get 'em fitted properly and strap 'em on, boys. If they had, this would not have been a problem.

+1

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:46:00 AM »
Sounds like another kneel-down would have been a better play choice.

Diablo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:29:20 AM »
Despite vehement protest from the GAC coach, the play clock is correctly set to 25, and because the 10 second runoff is refused, the game clock is started on the snap with 0:42 on the clock. 

Good job !

What aspect/s of your administration did the coach protest?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:05:53 PM by Diablo »

cincybearcat

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:07:02 PM »
How do i like them apples???  I like em...I like em A LOT!!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:29:39 PM by cincybearcat »

refemup

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:30:25 PM »
Diablo
Suffice it to say that the coach did not know or understand the rule.  His protests had no factual basis, and were basically emotional ranting because he couldn't believe things were not going his way.