Author Topic: The Latest Filing  (Read 31826 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
The Latest Filing
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:26:34 PM »
Attached is the TASO filing. It was in State court but has now been temporarily moved to Fed court at UIL's request.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
Re: The Latest Filing
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »
Thanks, TxMike.  I could not get it to post because my file was too big.

Cooter

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »
All the action in Federal Court today and in the forseeable future is reference VOLLEYBALL - Am I reading this correctly?

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
I read the whole thing and I don't see that Cooter.  Volleyball is the first sport to be impacted, but the TRO is for all UIL registrations to be halted and the 1204 rules to be suspended until jury verdict.

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »
I read the whole thing and I don't see that Cooter.  Volleyball is the first sport to be impacted, but the TRO is for all UIL registrations to be halted and the 1204 rules to be suspended until jury verdict.
  That's correct.  The lawsuit and TRO and Temporary Injunction are for the entire implementation of 1204 registration process.  The volleyball mess is just the latest example of the UIL changing dates, and requiring a relatively quick decision from the Courts.

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »
I have located the federal court case.  Apparently, the UIL has backed off its volleyball registration timeline, and as a result, the court denied the TRO request today as moot, because the UIL has agreed to hold off until a hearing on TASO's request for a preliminary injunction is heard on the 20th at 9:00.

Attached are the order denying the TRO request, and the order setting the hearing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blindref757

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 06:14:36 AM »
So the UIL doesn't really have to do anything different.  They can back off their October 13 deadline in word only...the "wink-wink" is in full effect.

Judges HACK me off...they quit thinking for themselves when they are issued the robe.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:21:40 AM »
It's a start.  Let's see what happens on the 20th.  For those sports that allow UIL to pick their officials in post season play, it will be near impossible for the court to force them to choose anyone who is not UIL-registered (nor should they).  But this does mean schools can still use "non UIL officials" for the time being.

Why don't the coaches in those sports lobby their AD's and Superintendents to get UIL out of the selection process?  They can just point ot football and ask for the same latitude football coaches have.   

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:11 AM »
So the UIL doesn't really have to do anything different.  They can back off their October 13 deadline in word only...the "wink-wink" is in full effect.

Judges HACK me off...they quit thinking for themselves when they are issued the robe.

Don't blame the judge.  The parties made an agreement to keep the status quo on registration until a hearing.  That is all that could have been granted in that request anyway.  Judges are not supposed to rule unless they have to.  Let's wait and see what happens on the 20th.  I'm just very happy the Court has given us a hearing so quickly and given us 1/2 day on his docket on such short notice.

fleetofoot

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 03:37:55 PM »
Any news on the court today?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 03:43:43 PM »
Still going on from what I heard.  Decision probably in a few days.

Offline Mark Liggett

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
    • Austin Football TASO
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
Any news on the court today?

morning went well, TASO's 1st two hours were well represented.  Judge broke for 2 hour recess to come back at 2 pm.  They should be finishing up pretty soon.

Offline Mark Liggett

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
    • Austin Football TASO
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 05:52:39 PM »
Still going on from what I heard.  Decision probably in a few days.

Just heard the Nov 1 deadline is now Dec 1, but I wasn't there for the afternoon part and I'm sure there are more specific details to come.....but if you're like me and the pins and needles aren't comfortable to sit on, this is what I know.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »
Probably for another hearing after end of regular season. But for now it is business as usual.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 06:06:03 PM »
But the UIL made it sound so important to have registration on Nov 1.  I guess it really wasn't all that important.

WABill

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »
The judge had the line of the day in reference to Mr. Timmons concerning the email Mr. Timmons send in which he stated he would not send TASO any rulebooks until after the hearing.  The judge stated this was "hopelessly childish."

The second line of the day belonged to Dr. B., when he stated with a straight face that he had seen snippets of Youtube Tony and in the same breath claimed the items were taken out of context yet claiming he had never seen it or heard it when Mr. Timmons eloquently stated that uil chapters would be given preference.  How can something that has never seen or heard be taken out of context?

Offline blindref757

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 07:37:29 PM »
So I'm confused.  Did the UIL move the date back on their own, or did the judge tell them to do it.  If they did it on their own, why?  To avoid disaster because the big chapters are not blinking?  Why did Texas Tony suddenly do the Two-Step?

Offline TXMike

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
Anyone know the back-story on the b-ball rulebooks?  What was the deal?

As for Dr B...if anyone was taking things "out of context" it would have had to be him since he only saw pieces of the video and not the whole enchillada IN CONTEXT.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:32 PM »
Texas Tribune update:

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-education/university-of-texas-system/judge-delays-deciding-on-referee-lockout/

Judge Delays Deciding on Referee Lockout
by Julian Aguilar
October 20, 2010
A federal judge on Wednesday declined to rule on a request for an injunction filed by a group of high school sports officials seeking to prevent what they call a government takeover of an independent contracting agency.

The Texas Association of Sport Officials, or TASO, filed suit against the University Interscholastic League after the latter amended its rules to make registration with the agency mandatory for all high school sports officials seeking to officiate athletic contests under its purview. The officials were given a November 1 deadline to comply, which some referees said was an attempt at strong-arming them to register or risk losing high-profile assignments the last week of the high school football season and during the playoffs. The UIL is represented by the Texas Attorney General’s office

U.S. District Judge Lee Yeakel delayed ruling on the injunction, and instead raised the issue of whether or not the federal courts had the jurisdiction to preside over the case.

“However I rule I am going to create chaos. The question is do I grant chaos with or without jurisdiction,” said Yeakel.

After more than five hours both sides came to agreement where the attorney general’s office will file a motion for dismissal based on jurisdiction by Oct. 29. TASO has until Nov. 8 to respond and a hearing that will ultimately decide the issue is scheduled Nov. 10. If the injunction is denied the Nov. 1 registration deadline is pushed back to Dec. 1

When asked why the judge brought up the issue over jurisdiction, TASO attorney Matthew Jones said it was a “good question.”

“My thoughts are the judge was inclined to grant it, he just wanted to be sure he had the jurisdiction to do so,” he said. Attorneys with the Texas Attorney General’s office declined to comment outside of the courtroom.

After the rule change TASO alleged in court filings that the UIL was attempting to “take over, tax, oversee and regulate the occupation of sports officiating in the State of Texas” outside of its authority and in violation of the law. The UIL responded that the move is aimed at streamlining communication with the state’s officials and “to complete a short ‘officials compliance program’ to see to it that they have at least working knowledge of the constitution and the contest rules within the UIL.”

The ruling on Wednesday was anti-climactic after testimony in court that alleged the UIL was purposely withholding information from TASO — specifically new rule books for two varsity sports and an incident report following the death of an athlete this year — until after Wednesday's hearing. The testimony even prompted Yeakel to say the UIL’s actions “smacked to [him] of being almost helplessly childish.”

After the decision Jones said it was “like waiting all day for a punt.”

WABill

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:49:32 PM »

As for Dr B...if anyone was taking things "out of context" it would have had to be him since he only saw pieces of the video and not the whole enchillada IN CONTEXT.

TASO via Mr. Fitch in an email, asked for a schedule for delivery of the rulebooks from Mr. Timmons.  Mr. Timmons told Mr. Fitch that Mr. Fitch would have to wait until after the 20 October 2010 court date to get his answer.

Mr. Timmons also refused to send TASO the incident report from the unfortunate player death.  Mr. Timmons refused until the uil could "be assured of his (Mr. Fitch's) support of the uil registration."

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »

My understanding: UIL has been receiving (buying at cost) NF rule books from UIL for years for sports other than football (since we use NCAA).  Suddenly, last year, the UIL added $2 per rule book to make a little profit.  (I wonder if they paid the sales tax?).  Why did the UIL do this?  Guess.  This year, the UIL boys said they were holding on the rule books until after the hearing (today).  When this was brought up in court, the judge made his statement about TT being childish.  Yes, that was an accurate assessment.

fleetofoot

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »
The judge said a whole lot of nothing. Is the date Nov 1 or Dec 1?

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 08:03:35 PM »
But the UIL made it sound so important to have registration on Nov 1.  I guess it really wasn't all that important.

^flag

My educated guess is that the UIL is now in a "waffle mode" because they now forsee the certainty of the issuance of the restraining order by the Austin federal court and have so voluntarily informed the court, "Hey! To show you what 'salt of the earth' that we are, we'll just have you push that registration deadline back a month, your Honor, and in effect we'll just go ahead and make all of the TASO officials and their leadership happy by throwing them a few crumbs; the superintendents and administrators happy, the playoff coaches happy, and Texas high school football fans, in general, happy(excepting Ornery1, of course, who will still have to be somewhat patiently PO'd). But we'll just go ahead and keep Playoff Weeks 4-6 just for our UIL Registered Officiating Brethren and give them all of the "plum games" and IR Duties! Coaches: don't even think of bothering in picking a TASO crew who you can feel will do you a good job; we have a specially selected UIL crew just for you!  And never mind if they haven't ever seen a football game before, they were able to complete and pass the UIL registration tests only after 7 or 8 tries. Your crew chief is excellent; it only took him 3 times to pass it! And you know what? They've all so graciously agreed to work your games for the tidy sum of $100.00, inclusive of round-trip mileage and meals! Now these officials may end up having to drive to the Valley from Dallas or Amarillo, but they've licked our boots and stooped and bowed to us by being such nice guys and volunteering to sleep in their cars. Coaches: You are just going to be so thrilled with our little arrangement! And administrators: don't even bother counting the playoff game gate or the money: we'll do all that for you and just mail you a check for what we feel would be your fair share! After all, we take an immeasurable amount of pride in doing this just for the kids and nobody else!  :o Wink-Wink/Blink-Blink!"   z^

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »
"Mr. Timmons also refused to send TASO the incident report from the unfortunate player death.  Mr. Timmons refused until the UIL could "be assured of his (Mr. Fitch's) support of the UIL registration."

^flag

From a favorite pre-school alphabet book: T is for "Tool!"
Now it's all too apparent that the real "Tool" is  :!# Timmons! How absolutely pathetic! UIL: Just how low can you go?   z^

WABill

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »
The judge said a whole lot of nothing. Is the date Nov 1 or Dec 1?

December 1st is new day.  Both sides stated in court, and the uil agreed that no preferential treatment for uil officials woudl be offered.