Author Topic: Do You Wear an American Flag Patch?  (Read 3700 times)

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
Re: Do Yor Wear an American Flag Patch?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 10:53:24 AM »
Ok. I know we have an "official supplier of the PIAA" here, but you can get your uniform from wherever.

I don't know about kickbacks, BUT, the supplier travels with the state supervisor when he carries out his mandatory meetings and is the only supplier that has the sublimated logo and flag, which are required for playoffs and consistency during the season.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 01:12:46 PM »
I don't know about kickbacks, BUT, the supplier travels with the state supervisor when he carries out his mandatory meetings and is the only supplier that has the sublimated logo and flag, which are required for playoffs and consistency during the season.

Perhaps, THAT supplier is simply better equipped and more flexible and willing to accommodate customer requirements and demand.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 04:06:24 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:08:13 PM by refjeff »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2023, 12:22:49 AM »

Gotcha.  PA has no such requirement.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 09:37:00 AM »
I wrote and deleted this part because it wasn't really relevant, but on second thought, I think we're just going to keep talking past each other because you're not addressing my claim and I'm otherwise refusing to be sidetracked by an irrelevant talking point.

However, in interests of simply ending this:

How in the world does a flag patch "respect and remember" those who sacrificed for the country, when there are veterans who come back from war gravely injured, unable to receive quality medical care, unable to hold a job and end up homeless and forgotten by the system? All veterans assistance programs are vastly underfunded and it's a disgrace. Instead, we need to pass $800 billion military spending bills so we can fight more wars to have more veterans we can forget about.

Similarly, what about 9/11, the whole point that started my comment? Why did it take 18 years to get a permanent compensation bill for first responders? Why do politicians shake their hands and thank them for their efforts just to balk at any sort of *actual help* because they feel it costs too much. The sacrifice of these people *costs too much* to honor them appropriately and in a way that actually matters, that provides actual assistance.

Instead, we wear a flag patch and stand and clap to honor the veterans and first responders who gave their all and got meaningless platitudes in return. I take great offense to any action that is entirely for PR and does nothing of use.

Instead of buying a $5 patch for my uniform, I'm going to donate $5 to a veterans organization that can do *actual good* and if you really think this is about honoring the people that sacrificed for the country, I suggest you do too.
I’m with you. As a 13 year veteran of the Army, I developed a great reverence and respect for our flag. I simply detest patches, emblems, stickers, flag shirts, hats pants, etc., and anything else except the real thing, especially when worn by civilians. In my opinion, wearing the flag should be reserved for active duty military personnel. We should ban all others.  If you want to display the flag, buy a flagpole.

Having vented sufficiently, I will say our state has mandated smitty apparel including shirts with the flag. I wear one every Friday night. Decided it wasn’t a hill to die on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2023, 10:53:51 AM »
I’m with you. As a 13 year veteran of the Army, I developed a great reverence and respect for our flag. I simply detest patches, emblems, stickers, flag shirts, hats pants, etc., and anything else except the real thing, especially when worn by civilians. In my opinion, wearing the flag should be reserved for active duty military personnel. We should ban all others.  If you want to display the flag, buy a flagpole.

Having vented sufficiently, I will say our state has mandated smitty apparel including shirts with the flag. I wear one every Friday night. Decided it wasn’t a hill to die on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the many benefits of living here, EVERYONE gets to decide for themselves, if, when, how and to what extent they, themselves, decide to pay/show respect.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Do You Wear an American Flag Patch?
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 10:38:01 AM »
I have a flag on both my baseball shirt and jacket.  FlAg1
I don't have a flag on any of my football gear.  :o
I don't know why  ???
Several years ago we went from skinny stripes to wide stripes  yEs:
I used to have a flag on my skinny stripes  FlAg1
Most football games are preceded by our Star Spangled Banner FlAg1 I stand proudly during it. FlAg1
Few baseball games do, I just adjust my outside protecter and await the first pitch.  yEs:
Maybe that's why ??? ::) :o

PS: IMHO, wider stripes on our shirts make you look fatter, but our ole' knickers made you look like George Washington  :!# :puke:

never fear, guys, the new rules will be here shorty....

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 10:41:46 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 05:27:23 PM »
I have a flag on both my baseball shirt and jacket.  FlAg1
I don't have a flag on any of my football gear.  :o
I don't know why  ???
Several years ago we went from skinny stripes to wide stripes  yEs:
I used to have a flag on my skinny stripes  FlAg1
Most football games are preceded by our Star Spangled Banner FlAg1 I stand proudly during it. FlAg1
Few baseball games do, I just adjust my outside protecter and await the first pitch.  yEs:
Maybe that's why ??? ::) :o

PS: IMHO, wider stripes on our shirts make you look fatter, but our ole' knickers made you look like George Washington  :!# :puke:

never fear, guys, the new rules will be here shorty....

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

I will retire before I go back to knickers. #truth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 09:20:31 AM »
I would go back to knickers only if we get to wear the even older school newsboy type hats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivvubJLpyM

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2023, 10:07:20 AM »
Might as well go back to these.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2023, 10:22:25 AM »
I would go back to knickers only if we get to wear the even older school newsboy type hats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivvubJLpyM
Thanks for the ole' flim clip, Jeff, brings back memories of my early daze of youth. Note the 3-man crew w/HL working on top of the TE. :o I started in 1969 back in Connecticut, which was a NCAA state back the. I moved back to Maine (a NFHS strate) in 1971, and was quick to notice the uniform differences :

NCAA                                                                              NFHS

BLACK HAT, WHITE PIPING (as today)                                       SOLID BLACK HAT
          HALF RED/HALF WHITE FLAG                                                    SOLID RED FLAG
          BEAN BAG i as today)                                                               NONE (officials threw their hat to mark spots)

After the dress shock at my first game in Maine, I quickly dressed to be 'one of the guys'. One official took strong interest in my bean bag and  wanted to use one. I later found an underlying reason :
He wore a wig and was worried it would fly off in the excitement as he tossed his hat.

MY ADVICE : Leave youi wig at home when the football field you roam  tR:oLl

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 01:34:16 PM »
Thanks for the ole' flim clip, Jeff, brings back memories of my early daze of youth. Note the 3-man crew w/HL working on top of the TE. :o I started in 1969 back in Connecticut, which was a NCAA state back the. I moved back to Maine (a NFHS strate) in 1971, and was quick to notice the uniform differences :

NCAA                                                                              NFHS

BLACK HAT, WHITE PIPING (as today)                                       SOLID BLACK HAT
          HALF RED/HALF WHITE FLAG                                                    SOLID RED FLAG
          BEAN BAG i as today)                                                               NONE (officials threw their hat to mark spots)

After the dress shock at my first game in Maine, I quickly dressed to be 'one of the guys'. One official took strong interest in my bean bag and  wanted to use one. I later found an underlying reason :
He wore a wig and was worried it would fly off in the excitement as he tossed his hat.

MY ADVICE : Leave youi wig at home when the football field you roam  tR:oLl

That was a crew of 4. Three with hats, and one without, which must have been the Referee, and, it seems, he is the only one with a whistle. Cuts down on IWs, I suppose. They didn't seem too concerned about false starts. Maybe that rule didn't exist, yet. The R seemed to do all the ball spotting, too. What were the other guys supposed to be doing?

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2023, 07:32:30 PM »
At my board we wear the flag over the pocket  we have several members that served and they have gold trim flags all others have the white trim  flags. It our way of showing respect to them and those that serve
A Fer years ago one of our members was deployed to Iraq. We sent him the rule & case book the preseason exam and meetings notes to keep him up to speed with the game.
He greatly appreciated it made him feel closer to home  FlAg1

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2023, 06:41:48 AM »
At my board we wear the flag over the pocket  we have several members that served and they have gold trim flags all others have the white trim  flags. It our way of showing respect to them and those that serve
A Fer years ago one of our members was deployed to Iraq. We sent him the rule & case book the preseason exam and meetings notes to keep him up to speed with the game.
Great story, Toma, shows the family-like friendships developed by many officiatiing groups. Thanks for sharing.

:thumbup tiphat: FlAg1

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2023, 07:27:30 AM »
This time of year, I frequently watch YouTube videos of old games.  I recently watched the first SEC championship game from 1992, and was amazed at how much the mechanics have changed in 30 years; in particular, the initial positions of the LOS officials and R.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2023, 08:17:58 AM »

I've thought about asking for our state to let veterans wear a small star on the side or back of their hat in recognition of their service; I also think it might help (certainly wouldn't hurt) with abuse of officials by coaches as people are generally not too keen on yelling and degrading people they can see and recognize as veterans. 

I think it's great that you guys have a way to subtly distinguish and honor veterans.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2023, 09:36:56 AM »

showing "Respect" is a personal choice available to each of us, as is choosing NOT to show respect.  Being DISRESPECTFUL is an entirely different choice each of us can choose, sadly reflecting on those making that choice as "Stupid is, as stupid does", or something worse. 

It's ironic, and a little surprising and sad, that some of us had to be reminded of the difference by a Russian hockey player for privately exercising his personal choice.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:42:06 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline george7244

• FAN REACTION: +6/-14
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2023, 12:40:28 PM »
Tell me if i am wrong or not but does it look like the Referee is wearing a short sleeve shirt while the rest of the crew has on long sleeve shirts in the film clip,

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2023, 01:43:20 PM »
Tell me if i am wrong or not but does it look like the Referee is wearing a short sleeve shirt while the rest of the crew has on long sleeve shirts in the film clip,

The guy with no hat (assumed to be the referee) has his sleeves pulled/rolled up. As much harder as he was working than the rest, it is understandable that he might be warm.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2023, 02:56:47 PM »
From the video:

Opening kickoff: whole bunch of non-players/non-officials in the end zone. WTF?
No yard line numbers - glad we have those, today. Bix X at the 50, and circles at the 40s. Don't know what the "V" shaped lines from the 2 to the goal posts are all about (?).
Team A does not stop for one full second after shifting (*)
Lots of leaving early by linemen - no calls.
Interior linemen move to different positions after placing hand on ground (*).
When the teams shift to their final positions, the guys that don't move very far are still march-stepping in time with the rest of the players moving. Cute.
Third play from scrimmage, entire offense makes abrupt movement to change positions (a FST today), AND several defensive players charge across NZ and there is contact between several players of both teams, but they play on. (*)
On what would be FSTs today, I see the LOS guy throw up his left arm and move his right hand to his mouth, like he's going to sound a whistle, but they play on.
The LOS guy seems to signal to the box man/chain crew, to move, following many downs, and they are on the near - presumed pressbox - side.
Absolutely no time out signals. Ever.
Absolutely nothing resembling holding. Hardly any use of the arms/hands for blocking at all. Most blocks are attempted low blocks. Love it.
I see the use of S10 a lot, and I think it means that there was a foul, because the next down seems to be from the previous spot - like there isn't a distance penalty, they just repeated the down (?).
Now, at the -8:07 mark, a defensive player hurdles an offensive lineman. The LOS guy does the arm signal/hand to mouth thing, and the next down is, in fact, 5 yards farther downfield than the previous spot. No flag, no time out signal. But, apparently, a foul was called.
Ah. A72 catches a forward pass. Guess that was OK back then.
On a scoring play, you see 3, 4 photographers literally IN the end zone during the down. WTF?

Cold. Lots of snow around the field. Visible breath.

(*) may not have been a rule back then
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:46:22 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2023, 08:24:31 AM »
A lot has changed over the past 82 seasons. For example, it wasn't until 1952 that ALL officials were allowed to use whistles. Prior to that the horn posted here, by HLinNC, was vogue AND in 1947 a team was allowed to score a field goal by drop-kicking a return kick.  ^TD What will the next 82 years bring to our beloved game  ??? ^talk. Will the game still be officiated by humans  :!#......the boys at MIT are at work...

tR:oLl :puke: LOL pi1eOn pray:; yEs: hEaDbAnG nAnA sNiCkErS :sTiR:  ^talk ^talk ^talk :bOW :'( :-[ :o 8] ??? tR:oLl
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 08:27:53 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2023, 08:47:35 AM »
......the boys at MIT are at work...

Sadly, I fear it ain’t the boys at MIT or Cal Tech at work, but the boys in Las Vegas that are now driving this boat.