Author Topic: U in a Pandemic time  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
U in a Pandemic time
« on: May 19, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »
Would appreciate input on Umpires possibly being somewhat safer working in the offensive backfield and not behind the defensive line/backers for better distancing.  Flame away!

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: U in a Pandemic time
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:06:31 PM »
I don't like the U in the backfield mechanic.  You miss good looks at second level blocks and Defensive Holding, and you're in no position to help with traps on low passes and ineligible down field.  The safety increase is marginal at best.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 03:00:58 PM »
I see benefits of both positions from an officiating standpoint. But from a safety standpoint I don't see a major difference. Over the course of the game we are still going to be in close proximity to players throughout the game.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 06:41:03 AM »
Ohio is giving the umpire the option to work from the offensive backfield.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
As an umpire, I believe the working from behind the office will cause so many things to be missed and I am more concerned as I get older getting run over than getting Covid.

I certainly will not dismiss other people's concern and would allow people to make their own choices, but I am just not worried about catching anything. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:16:52 AM »
IMHO, moving U to the O-backfield would be ill advised in a 4 or 5 man crew. Without deep wings the LJ & LM are breaking downfield with the receivers leaving  the U to rule on LOS stuff. From a safety prospective, he probably wouldn't get run over as much.

Offline twref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »
My extremely talented/experienced umpire was run over knocked unconscious last November.  Very scary-was out of work for 8 days. 

I concede we will miss some things in five person mechanics, but keeping people upright and safe trumps