Author Topic: Failed Field Goal - the spot?  (Read 693 times)

Offline juxone

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • Always seeking a deeper understanding.
Failed Field Goal - the spot?
« on: October 03, 2023, 11:50:59 AM »
  it's 4th and 12 for team K at R’s 20. A field goal attempt is partially blocked behind the neutral zone and travels to R’s goal line where it touches the pylon. So here is my question, since the touching occurred behind the neutral zone that touching is ignored.   However, is the ball OUT OF BOUNDS because it touched the pylon? is the spot the previous spot and R starts with a new series or is it a safety and the ball is spotted on the 25 and R starts with a new series?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Failed Field Goal - the spot?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 12:04:49 PM »
Its a touchback.  A correctly placed pylon is at the intersection of the goal line plane and the sideline. 

Offline juxone

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 12:25:23 PM »
"Its a touchback.  A correctly placed pylon is at the intersection of the goal line plane and the sideline." 

So the spot would be the 25 and R starts with a new series of down and not the previous spot? Correct?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 12:30:08 PM »
R gets the ball at the 20, but otherwise yes.

Offline juxone

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 01:04:42 PM »
OK sorry, I mistyped yard in my question. So the spot will always be the 20 in HFHS (absent other any foul) and NEVER the previous spot?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 01:24:55 PM »
2-13-4a, 8-5-3a 2, 6-1-1

Offline juxone

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 01:58:08 PM »
Got it thanks!!

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 02:18:25 PM »
Its a touchback.  A correctly placed pylon is at the intersection of the goal line plane and the sideline.

.... and by rule is simultaneously in the EZ and OB.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline juxone

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 03:51:57 PM »
".... and by rule is simultaneously in the EZ and OB."

And that was exactly what caused my question. Since it was in the EZ it is a touchback and the ball goes to the 20, however, if it is out of bounds on the field goal attempt, the effort fails and the ball turns over to B, but since it was out of bounds why was it not returned to the previous spot.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 04:27:35 PM »

And that was exactly what caused my question. Since it was in the EZ it is a touchback and the ball goes to the 20, however, if it is out of bounds on the field goal attempt, the effort fails and the ball turns over to B, but since it was out of bounds why was it not returned to the previous spot.

Because it was out of bounds in the endzone. Just the same as if it had rolled into the endzone on the inside of the pylon and then rolled out of bounds. It's a touchback because it broke the plane of the goal line while in kick status. That's all that matters.

Offline juxone

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 04:39:55 PM »
Because it was out of bounds in the endzone. Just the same as if it had rolled into the endzone on the inside of the pylon and then rolled out of bounds. It's a touchback because it broke the plane of the goal line while in kick status. That's all that matters.

Go it that helped too.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 05:05:06 PM »

In NFHS a field goal is the same as a punt if it doesn't score.  If a punt goes out of bounds are you putting it at the previous spot to give it to R?  The question makes no sense.  Here it is a touchback.  But move it 2' shorter, ball goes to R inside the one where it goes OOB. Nowhere does it go back to the previous spot for R's possession after a scrimmage kick!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 07:57:37 PM »
OK sorry, I mistyped yard in my question. So the spot will always be the 20 in HFHS (absent other any foul) and NEVER the previous spot?

A good quote to help you:

"A field goal is a punt that can score points".

They are treated exactly the same.  If you ever get confused on what to do on a field goal, ask yourself "What would I do on a punt?" The answer usually becomes more obvious then.