Author Topic: Drop Kick During Try  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Willis

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Drop Kick During Try
« on: October 09, 2022, 03:47:27 PM »
During a Try, can a team that snaps from the 2 yardline dropkick?  Or do all scores by kick have to snap from the 15?

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Drop Kick During Try
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 06:24:53 AM »
Only a guess (but probably a good one) ,but I assume a drop kick would need to come from a LOS @ 15.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 06:53:44 AM »
I'm not an NFL official, but the NFL rule 11-3-1-b does not differentiate between a place kick and a drop kick, so I'd too say that a drop kick after a snap from the 2-yard line will not result in a score.

The NFL rule book is available online at the NFL web site.

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 03:15:34 AM »
Both Ralph and Kalle are correct. A Try kick must be snapped from the 15 (if not relocated by penalty). A snap from the 2 can only result in a score by a pass or run.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 03:58:14 PM »
In speaking with my 'source,' Team A has to 'declare' their intent to attempt a field goal or score a touchdown on a Try. If they intend to attempt a field goal, then the ball is placed at the B-15. If they intend to attempt to score a touchdown, then the ball is placed at the B-2. An otherwise legal place or drop kick made after they have declared their intent to attempt to score a TD - that happens to pass through the uprights and over the crossbar - simply has no point value (even if the ball is snapped from the B-15 (or behind)).
If the try will be repeated following a penalty to either team, Team A can re-declare their intent. If they choose to attempt a field goal, then the penalty will be from the B-15. If they choose to attempt to score a TD, then the penalty is enforced from the B-2. But, again, if they declare they are attempting to score a TD, then they cannot get any points by kick.

What I forgot to ask (and I will try to ask) is: If they declare their intent to kick a field goal, can they fake the field goal, or advance a kick that fails to cross the NZ, and score a 2-point TD? I don't know, but logic would say they could. But, in 2022, there is not much normal logic to the NFL.

They are intent on 3-hour and 5-minute games. Competition be damned. Gotta make TV's window. The on-field guys are simply guessing at what they want with respect to roughing the passer. They are between the proverbial rock and a hard place, with directive to protect the QBs, but then getting criticized - externally and internally - when they make a RPS call. The fear of repercussion if they don't call RPS is stifling. But, when they do, social media explodes, and then the 'league' throws the referees under the bus.

Social media, and, now, the highly public betting industry, is killing NFL football.