Author Topic: Texas v Oklahoma State - 2 interesting plays out of 3  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Osric Pureheart

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
  • 1373937 or 308?
Texas v Oklahoma State - 2 interesting plays out of 3
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
About 12 to go in the 4th.  Texas goes for it on 4th and goal.  Throw is just short of the end zone.  Reciever puts his hands on the ball, firmly controls it, starts going to ground, catch clearly not completed yet, his knee hits while the ball is firmly controlled in the field, but the process of catching the ball isn't complete until he's in the end zone.  Ruling is down on the 1, over on downs, replay doesn't intervene.

Anyone got a rule reference to tell me why this shouldn't be a touchdown?  Does it change if he never firmly controls it until he's lying in the end zone?  The mental block I'm having trouble getting past goes like this; if he'd dropped it while his knee was down and the ball was outside the end zone, you'd have called it an incomplete pass for not establishing possession, so how can he be considered down when he hadn't actually caught the ball yet?

(Couple of plays later, the OSU QB walks out the back of the end zone before throwing an interception.)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Texas v Oklahoma State - 2 interesting plays out of 3
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »
What is the 3d play?

Offline Osric Pureheart

• 1373937 or 308?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »
Sorry, I was meaning there were 3 in a row and two of the three were interesting.

Although if you wanted to use the middle play of the three for something I guess you might get a little discussion about goal line going out and mechanics; L comes haring in looking for the ball and H is strolling in ready to mark him a yard out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:00:33 PM by Osric Pureheart »

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »

Anyone got a rule reference to tell me why this shouldn't be a touchdown?  Does it change if he never firmly controls it until he's lying in the end zone? 

He's required to maintain firm control over the ball all the way through the ground to complete the catch, but if he does so, you do have to look backward a bit.  If he maintains control to though the ground, the catch is completed when he first gained that control. If he touches the ground with something other than his hands or feet after gaining control of the ball, his forward progress is stopped at that point.

If he had bobbled the ball until he was in the endzone, then secured firm control of it before it touched the ground, then, yes, it would be a TD.

Offline Osric Pureheart

• 1373937 or 308?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:15 AM »
I get that, but is there rules support for calling it that way?  I've got an eye on trying to explain this to rookies and it's be nice if I could provide a better explanation than "because it is".

Offline TXMike

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
Look at the definition of a catch in Rule 2

Offline Osric Pureheart

• 1373937 or 308?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
OK so I found this

Leaves his feet, firmly grasps a live ball in flight and...first returns
to the ground inbounds with any part of his body...

Except that isn't quite the whole story, because it's not a catch if he gets hands on the ball, puts something on the floor, but then carries on to ground and drops it when he hits the ground; that's interpreted as "loss of ball simultaneous to returning to ground", right?

I don't have a problem with giving him possession back to when he gets hands on the ball, it's how I've explained the rule in the past, but I still don't see where the rules actually support the concept.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 05:39:23 AM »
Video of the catch that was ruled short of a TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DLGlVAtXbY

DD

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:28:13 AM »
The receiver is short of the goal line. He has possession through out the process. You can confirm the ruling on the field from the line feed.  That is why they did not stop the game.

Offline pgh guy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-8
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 10:12:08 AM »
This is a classic "double action" short of the goal line.
I love this game!