Author Topic: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci  (Read 34104 times)

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Fall Football and Dr. Fauci
« on: May 11, 2020, 03:46:25 PM »
Just saw a report where Fauci says football is the perfect way to spread the disease via contact. His solution is everyone should be tested either night before or on game day. Positive you sit, negative you can play.

Problem is that is a heck of a cost. I can see maybe the NFL does and maybe, just maybe FCS.

But lower level NCAA and high school, no way!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:50:40 PM »
What happens if they don't come up with a working vaccine?   

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 09:46:14 AM »
What happens if they don't come up with a working vaccine?   

With the average age of our high school officials, I see a lot of guys not coming back this year for fear of getting this virus.  Even if the UIL says we will play the games, there probably will not be enough officials willing to run a very high risk of being exposed to cover all of the games.  This is going to be a very interesting fall.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 10:38:20 AM »
I agree. I’m an official over 50, and I will not referee this fall. I've got to touch the ball every play with sweat on it, dig in a pile for a ball - touching all sweat covered players... nope. Plus if I’m wearing a mask, I can see less of the field. I already have a hard time seeing down low in the supermarket with a mask on, and my glasses fog up. And no fans? It won’t be fun anymore. Nope.... I’ll sit out this year.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:11:27 AM by bbeagle »

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »
I am struggling.  Just turned 66 and in the last five years have had both knees replaced so I could continue calling.  No leg or knee pain and they feel great.  I have a good crew and love working with them.   I have been going to work every day (retiring at the end of May) and have been shopping in multiple locations with no mask.    Not that concerned about casual contact but 22 players every play with 1 to 50 on the sideline (yes I called an eleven man game last year that had 1 sub), ten or more coaches on the sideline, chain crews and dressing in a JV locker that smells of (well you know) doesn't compute.   I have paid both state and local dues but my wife is very, very against me calling.   

What is everybody else thinking?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »
I will likely be willing to officiate and risk infection if there is football. It would have to be without a mask though as it would be very limiting for effective breathing and whistle management would be difficult. I completely understand those who feel differently though. I'm just hoping beyond hope we are in a context where we can play football in the Fall with fans in the stands and manage the risks similar to other illnesses albeit with a lot more attention and focus.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 01:08:17 PM »
I will be 57 in July.  Two years ago I told myself I hoped to get 10 more years in.  Last September I tore the meniscus in my left knee (frankly I think it was eroding for a long time) so I lost half the season.  I had it scoped in November.  PT had just cleared me just before the virus shutdown hit.

I worked 28 1/2 years as a parole officer so I spent a lot of time going into homes and being around not the most healthy of folks to begin with.  I've faced things that scared me worse than this does.

If they play, I'll be there.  My football biological clock is ticking...

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »
Also if testing is to be done, what about the officials?

How many HS  chapters can replace 4-5 game day officials should it be needed?

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 09:18:50 PM »

Not us.  We scrape each year just to fill each game.  If no vaccine proves dependable then this may be something everyone would need to decide if you just deal with it.  The 24 hrs newscycle doesn't help either.  I'd just assume to put this on the backburner and not even think about it.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 11:27:30 AM »
I am 60yo, but there is nothing except being physically incapable that will keep me off the field.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »

Just had another bad thought!  What about sub varsity. Might mean multiple tests per week for coaches and officials

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
Here's a pretty good interview with the SEC Commissioner on the possibility of fall football.  I'd like to see some of the ideas the schools and/or conferences are coming with as alternatives. 

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/greg-sankey

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »
New uniforms proposed for all officials in all sports.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 07:53:29 AM »
Here's a pretty good interview with the SEC Commissioner on the possibility of fall football.  I'd like to see some of the ideas the schools and/or conferences are coming with as alternatives. 

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/greg-sankey
I agree with the commish.....ain't no school = ain't no football. IMHO, there are too many "IFs" to even guess what the Fall will entail. As was mentioned in the article, we have a window to make plans but that window is slowly closing. I assume colleges will need to make plans no later than early July, while our high schools would have a little longer. Youth safety is the most important part of high school football and decisions will probably be made with that in mind. If games are to be played, I would believe that the air has cleared enough on our pandemic so that it safe for all. I've been asked : "Should officials wear masks during the game  ??? ?" and "Should the crew all drive their own cars to the game to preserve 'social distancing'  ??? ??" My answer to both was : "If the pandemic climate is then what it is today, there will not be high school football.

MY RICH UNCLE ONCE TOLD ME : "RALPHIE, YOUR HEALTH WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR MOST IMPORTANT ASSET!"

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 08:00:55 AM »
I agree with the commish.....ain't no school = ain't no football. IMHO, there are too many "IFs" to even guess what the Fall will entail. As was mentioned in the article, we have a window to make plans but that window is slowly closing. I assume colleges will need to make plans no later than early July, while our high schools would have a little longer. Youth safety is the most important part of high school football and decisions will probably be made with that in mind. If games are to be played, I would believe that the air has cleared enough on our pandemic so that it safe for all. I've been asked : "Should officials wear masks during the game  ??? ?" and "Should the crew all drive their own cars to the game to preserve 'social distancing'  ??? ??" My answer to both was : "If the pandemic climate is then what it is today, there will not be high school football.

MY RICH UNCLE ONCE TOLD ME : "RALPHIE, YOUR HEALTH WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR MOST IMPORTANT ASSET!"

How do officials wear masks?  I don't see how that could work.  There seems to be no better breeding ground for spreading this virus than maybe rest homes and cruise ships.  We see spit, sweat, blood in every game we officiate.  It gets all over the ball.  We touch the ball every play then put a whistle in our mouths with our hands.  I guess we will all have to make the choice to be infected or not officiate.  Maybe I'm overthinking this, but that seems to be our choices right now.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »
How do officials wear masks?  I don't see how that could work.  There seems to be no better breeding ground for spreading this virus than maybe rest homes and cruise ships.  We see spit, sweat, blood in every game we officiate.  It gets all over the ball.  We touch the ball every play then put a whistle in our mouths with our hands.  I guess we will all have to make the choice to be infected or not officiate.  Maybe I'm overthinking this, but that seems to be our choices right now.

The decision to suspend football should be based on real empirical data that clearly shows a grave danger if practices and games are allowed to happen. I'm all in favor of suspending such activities when the real, substantiated data shows a clear and present danger to the participants (teams and/or spectators).  Despite what some media outlets would have you believe, that data ain't there. As much as some folks - mostly politicians - want to suspend all things social and entertaining, more out of politics than real concern for safety, we should not allow unjustified fear to control our lives. Until, and unless, we have the foreboding data mentioned, I, for one am ready to get back to action, and will gladly accept responsibility for myself.  I would go today.  But, certainly, we should be ready by September.
The national focus regarding the health crisis should be on testing; having medical professionals prepared to deal with these diseases (they are); and developing vaccines. Medical professionals will tell you that no vaccine will be effective for everyone.  But, multiple vaccines can get the vast, vast majority of society protected - when they become available. C'mon America - let's be the great country we are, and get 'er done!
But let's get back to living life. 

Offline Chiefump

• FAN REACTION: +1/-5
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
Congratulations Elvis, I was not aware that you got your Medical Degree.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:00 PM »
I do have one and agree with Elvis.  We have worked on a flu vaccine since 1944 and still don't have one that is 100% effective.  One needs to look at the data and not to those who may be skewing it to suit their agenda.  The current increase in cases appears to be more a function of increased testing rather than absolute cases.  Also, the death rates need to be more closely monitored as anyone who dies that is COVID positive is listed as a COVID death regardless of the main cause.  Insurance pays 100% for them.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »

^flag

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 09:44:43 PM »
I do have one and agree with Elvis.  We have worked on a flu vaccine since 1944 and still don't have one that is 100% effective.  One needs to look at the data and not to those who may be skewing it to suit their agenda.  The current increase in cases appears to be more a function of increased testing rather than absolute cases.  Also, the death rates need to be more closely monitored as anyone who dies that is COVID positive is listed as a COVID death regardless of the main cause.  Insurance pays 100% for them.

:thumbup

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »
You can only run from death for so long.  Eventually it will catch up to you.  Until then, I will live my life to the fullest and do so without fear.  About 23 years ago I got a flu vaccination and ended up getting a bad case of the flu to the point I thought I was dying.  I haven't gotten the shot since then and I've been exposed many times and have not became infected since.   Perhaps the vaccine I got was enough to last a lifetime.  While in the Marines I was asked if I wanted to volunteer to an aids vaccine and I politely declined after remembering my flu experience.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:49:52 PM by JasonTX »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 07:30:02 AM »
Youth safety is the most important part of high school football and decisions will probably be made with that in mind.

I have long been an advocate of swapping football and baseball seasons in hot weather climes for that very reason. This pandemic gives those states a unique opportunity to try this out.

I’m not waiting with bated breath, however.

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 07:54:33 AM »
I am not a physician.  However common sense says that a football field would be a great place for officials and/or participants to pick up COVID.  The only way to assure safety right now is a vaccine or an extensive testing program.  If there is a testing program I will feel comfortable going back on the field and will accept the risk.

If there is not a program in place, I will probably still go back because I love the game and officiating so much.  I will also assume the risk.  I hope The players or me (or someone in my family if I bring it home to them- then I will feel guilty for the rest of my life) do not die because of the short sightedness of some.

Is it worth the risk, I honestly do not know.  I do know that I am too emotionally involved to make an unbiased decision or even to have an unbiased opinion on the topic.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:43:50 AM by Punter »

Offline colorado_lines

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 03:10:44 PM »
I'm definitely torn on this.  As people have said, the football field is a great place to spread illnesses, I tend to get some sort of cold or other minor respiratory thing at some point each season though that has been reduced the last two years due to being more careful about handwashing at halftime and after games and how I handle my whistle with my hands.  I expect that I will get COVID at some point, I think most of us will, but personally I'd much rather delay that until effective therapeutics have been found.  Everyday of our lives we make decisions based on risks vs rewards for everything we do and I am not one who, as some people like to say right now, "lives in fear" (as an example I have gone scuba diving with large sharks and visited White Island in New Zealand a few months before the tragic eruption there while fully knowing the risks).  If this was just about the chance of me getting it, I'd definitely choose to officiate though you better believe that the coaches are going to be kept back off the sideline and they can talk to me from a distance.  But it isn't just about me, if I get infected then I run the risk of passing it on to other people when I do things like go get gas or go to the grocery store; this is especially true if I end up being asymptomatic and thus not knowing I have it.  People with health problems can take all the precautions in the world but have to go out from time to time or encounter other people and me deciding to officiate increases the risk to them when they had no say in the matter.  That possibility of passing it on to other people is what bothers me and gives me pause.  This is even more complicated for me as my wife is a doctor at a Children's Hospital and if I were to pass it on to her, that means her patients and the hospital suffers too because of my choice.  There is also other concerns from a medical standpoint such as more people having it increasing the chance of mutation into something more dangerous or just another strain which would make a vaccine less effective (the flu vaccine is never 100% effective because there always multiple strains of the flu at any one time and you can't build a vaccine that covers every possibility at once.  The way flu works is actually really fascinating to read about.).

There is a lot of time between now and August and hopefully things develop in a way to get us back onto the field either by a dramatic decrease in number of infections, improved testing and tracing, improved therapeutics, creative ideas as to how to get things to work, etc...

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 05:07:21 PM »
Knowing that County/City school boards err on the side of caution - as in a lot of caution, while I'm optimistic we'll have normalcy in September, I can absolutely see fall sports/football being affected.
i.e. maybe an 8-week, no byes, season. which is better than nothing.
right now, 'jamborees'/classics here are 8/14 and last games are 10/30
I can see them starting on 9/11 and 10/30 as week8.

While some parts of FL are not too much affected, some affected a bit, and other parts very affected; I have to think the very affected places look more grim for fall sports/football than others. and of course if no S.FL schools can play then they'll just cut it across the board.

Goodness, yesterday on the local news I saw where local schools were planning for alternative learning plans - which if that is on the table you can guess sports will also be affected..