Author Topic: Lineman grasping on PAT  (Read 696 times)

Offline jra104

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Lineman grasping on PAT
« on: October 13, 2023, 07:11:02 PM »
Saw a game where in FG and PAT the wing would grasp and hold the pants of the TE to protect the inside gap.  Is that allowed?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
Re: Lineman grasping on PAT
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 08:13:11 PM »
Sort of. The grabbing really isn’t illegal by itself. But if either of them contact an opponent while grasping each other, it is a foul. 5 yard penalty, 3-and-1 enforcement. The signal is the same as aiding the runner.

Offline jra104

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 02:06:24 PM »
Here is the video.  https://youtu.be/-VKzaYIANE0

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 06:19:33 AM »
During an FBS game some years ago, I observed two receiving team players hold hands during a kickoff return, and actually block an opponent. The BC was probably 15 yards away, and was tackled just a moment later, so the block had no impact on the result of the down. I passed on making the call, but, at the first TV break, I went to the special teams coach for that team and told him that wasn’t allowed, and warned them to not do that any more. I wrote that up on my foul report, and my Coordinator commented that this was the best way to handle that situation. This looks very similar. A “talk to” with the special teams coach to let them know that such action is not legal, and don’t do it again would be appropriate.
Had the BC gained additional yardage directly due to the block, I would have flagged it, without warning.

Offline billhpro1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 03:38:18 PM »
Elvis is spot on with his reply and even though I am a little older, in those days we were taught two words PREVENTATIVE OFFICIATING whenever possible. Watching todays game in HIGH SCHOOL and COLLEGE this term is rarely used.  All the officiating camps will never replace on field experience but having worked in SFOA  years ago for 14 years, I still keep up with retired officials. Officials with 2-3 years in Div 3 and 4-6 years in Div 2 in many larger cities. What is going on? I moved to Texas in 1975 and with 9 years officiating, the only moved me to Div. 3 which was fine.              Maybe Elvis can explain what ts wrong today.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 05:20:37 PM »
Elvis is spot on with his reply and even though I am a little older, in those days we were taught two words PREVENTATIVE OFFICIATING whenever possible. Watching todays game in HIGH SCHOOL and COLLEGE this term is rarely used.  All the officiating camps will never replace on field experience but having worked in SFOA  years ago for 14 years, I still keep up with retired officials. Officials with 2-3 years in Div 3 and 4-6 years in Div 2 in many larger cities. What is going on? I moved to Texas in 1975 and with 9 years officiating, the only moved me to Div. 3 which was fine.              Maybe Elvis can explain what ts wrong today.

Not enough officials to cover all the games, new officials are thrown into the fire way too early. Then in a year or so, they are teaching some of their bad habits
" I don't make the rules coach!"