Author Topic: illegal sub question  (Read 3056 times)

bulldogs1msu

illegal sub question
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
Team A breaks huddle.  everyone is in formation except wide receiver going to wide side of field.  A sub comes off the sideline and one of the receivers on the short side of the field runs to the sideline.  I called illegal sub due to my receiver being in formation and then leaving the field. Did I get it right?  Thanks for your help

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: illegal sub question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »
Not based on what you wrote.  There is no rule that says a player in formation can't leave for a sub.

Now, the sub must come inside the nines, the player he is replacing must leave within ~3 seconds, and everyone must be set for a full second before the snap.  There is certainly a chance they violated one of those rules.

But being in formation and then leaving is perfectly legal if the other requirements are met.

mbyron

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:36:55 AM »
Now, the sub must come inside the nines, the player he is replacing must leave within ~3 seconds, and everyone must be set for a full second before the snap.  There is certainly a chance they violated one of those rules.

Agreed. They must also do all that within 25 seconds of the RFP.

Goofy, ugly, and unusual are not as such illegal.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »
Goofy, ugly, and unusual

For this time of the season, its par.  NC started this past Friday night.  Way too early IMO. 

RickKY

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »
The substitution can be made anytime before the snap, as long as all players are set before any other player goes in motion, and before the snap.  After throwing your flag you should have waved it off.  This is why we say you either get it right or wrong as a whole crew.