Author Topic: Encroachment  (Read 2424 times)

FrankNFHS

Encroachment
« on: June 18, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »
First off...thanks to many of you who have helped me on other boards, mostly with my baseball questions.  I was able to get a lot of additional work after being watched by some folks and I want to thank many of you whose help has allowed me to improve.  I know I have a long way to go, but getting closer with each step.

Now football....

Ball is spotted to play.  Snapper places both hands on ball and then one of the guards (it doesn't matter which one but if it does, take your pick) goes into his three point stance, with this hand on the ground, his helmet is clearly in the neutral zone as the quarterback then begins his cadence.

Question, how would some of you handle this?  Since the ball is dead, I am guessing that the call would be made, thereby not allowing the ball to become live and B would have the opportunity to accept the penalty against A?

Sorry guys...lots of questions and I can't seem to find answers using the search function so I apologize if these are repeats.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Encroachment
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »
Encroachment has two phases- when the ball is marked ready for play and when the snapper places his hand(s) on the ball.

For the first phase, no player may touch the ball (other than the snapper), an opponent, or  enter the NZ to "give defensive signals". 

The second phase begins when the snapper places his hand(s) on the ball.  Now everyone is restricted from entering the NZ, save subs.

Encroachment in NF is a dead ball foul- kill it.

FrankNFHS

Re: Encroachment
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »
Thanks HLinNC!  Much obliged.