Author Topic: Coaches Evaluating Officials and Officials Evaluating Coaches  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Tom P

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
Coaches Evaluating Officials and Officials Evaluating Coaches
« on: February 08, 2022, 06:19:30 PM »
In our state, coaches have the option to evaluate officials after each game through the state website. They rate us on a scale of 1 to 6, with 1 being the best. The categories are:

Professionalism
Communication
Attitude
Field Coverage
Game Management
Rules Knowledge

There is also an opportunity for the coach to add comments to each category.

We do not have a chance to enter any rebuttal or provide any context, such as the coach didn't understand the high school rule in question.  Many of the better coaches provide some great thought and feedback. Many times the not so successful coaches simply use it to vent. We don't have a process in place to provide officials the opportunity to provide feedback on the coaches, teams or administration.  Does your association have anything in place for officials? If so, how does it work?

In my work life, we measure "employee engagement" and "customer engagement". There is a feedback loop and a way to promote dialogue. With the shortage of officials, I think we need a way for our associations and governing bodies to give us a chance to provide formal feedback. I think "official engagement" needs to be measured and promoted. Interventions to improve official engagement should be discussed and implemented.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 04:53:03 AM by Tom P »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Coaches Evaluating Officials and Officials Evaluating Coaches
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 10:30:35 PM »
We have a similar coaches rating system. Many times have gone into their office for pregame with coach and find it on the desk already filled out!

Most coach rating is worth on the paper it is written on
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 11:21:28 AM »
Oregon

Coaches evaluations are not collected by our state office.
Out local association asks the coaches to go on line and fill them out.
Typically they say We are great when they win and we suck sh*t when they lose.

Now with HUDL, some coaches may reply with "Please take a look at play 104" 
While this typically means we missed something, it is a positive for developing young officials.

We have evaluators, both live and Memorex,  (who are all former officials) to evaluate our officials.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 12:59:35 PM »
The only way coaches are involved for us is if they contact the RSO or state office for some reason.  We do have a scoring system for playoff eligibility but that is based on a combination of service, test scores and meetings attended.  Even that got jettisoned with the numbers we have right now.

The previous RSO occasionally utilized some retired/injured/former members who were college officials to observe and report to him with a copy to us.  He would also meet with a crew after the game if they liked.

I would agree that we could use a more formalized approach but we are at a point that if you can walk, you can probably work a game on the field or run a clock if you can't.  We don't have the manpower at this time to send out observers.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 01:52:08 PM »
Coaches should have a mechanism to lodge a complaint regarding specific rulings - even judgment - or conduct that occur during their games. And, I believe they have a right to know that there is some level of accountability by officials, should a review of the ruling(s) in question show that an error or misconduct was truly made. Depending on the nature, severity and impact of the error or misconduct, that accountability might be something as simple as a notification to the official/crew that an error/misconduct was made, with reference to the correct ruling/conduct that should have been made/used, and a warning that such error/misconduct should not be repeated. The end. If the nature, severity and impact of the error or misconduct justifies greater accountability, then greater measures should be taken, such as required retraining, limitation of assignments, removal from assignments, suspension of activities, or, ultimately, expulsion. The coach should have the right to know of any action taken against an official/crew as a result of his complaint. 
But, such accountability should be to the officiating organization.  If the organization finds that no true error or misconduct occurred, then the coach (and official/crew) should be duly notified.
But no evaluation by a coach should EVER have any value to an officiating organization. With very, very few exceptions, no coach is qualified to evaluate the performance of officials. (By the same token, very, very few officials are qualified to evaluate the performance of coaches. Only speaking for myself, but I've never evaluated a coach - don't really want to).

The problem is when coaches have the ability to use their subjective opinion regarding an official when making or approving assignments to officiate their games. In those instances, competence and capability have nothing to do with the assignments - only whether they think they can win using that/those official(s), and that is just wrong.

In the NCAA and NFL, only in the rarest of circumstances and with proven justification are officials ever restricted from working at any particular institution/team. Even when an error is made, that official/crew may be seen working that same team only weeks later.

And that's the way it should be.

Coach evaluations are totally worthless.     

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-284
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 03:09:40 PM »
Coach evaluations are totally worthless.     

:thumbup
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 03:59:55 PM »
The only way coaches are involved for us is if they contact the RSO or state office for some reason. Even that got jettisoned with the numbers we have right now.
I would agree that we could use a more formalized approach but we are at a point that if you can walk, you can probably work a game on the field or run a clock if you can't.  We don't have the manpower at this time to send out observers.

Our chapter has for years solicited ratings for game Officials after each assignment, but traditionally half or less bother to respond, so the value of responses is limited to other than evidence of consistent problems, which then if possible to an on-field evaluation, but as suggested in todays environment is limited.

The chapter does respond individually to SPECIFIC complaints, whose focus is limited to the relevant rule/governing procedure  specific to the situation with a copy to the identified Official.  Specific and/or egregious Officials references to Coaches are encouraged to be included in the official Game Reports, copies of which the Chapter keeps for future reference, and/or appropriate followup.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 04:57:59 PM »
In pre-season, the coaches are given a checklist of officials. They are asked to check : ACCEPTABLE/UNACCEPTABLE/ UNKNOWN...if unacceptable a reason must be given and 'acceptable' or 'unknown' must exceed 30 (we have 50 in our chapter). The majority of coaches  respond with : "Send me anyone."

Officials can scratch a school if they choose. Some acceptable reasons are ; official works at school, official's kid goes to that school, official dates coach's ex-wife, coach dates official's ex-wife, etc. Some unacceptable reasons are: trip's too long, field's too poor, team's too poor, etc. In post-season we give a sportsmanship award to a school in every conference we work. Schools with unsportsmanlike coaches rarely win.

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Online TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 06:58:43 AM »
I will hold the same value in coaches evaluations of officials when officials can evaluate coaches with as much value

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 02:17:32 PM »
I also ref wrestling and after the match has ended, before we sign the score book we hand the coach a post card with boxes to grade us: appearance, knowledge of the rules, professionalism, approachable, positioning. Its a self-addressed and stamped to be mailed to our assigner. very few coaches complete and mail it in. maybe 2 or 3 each year.

In wrestling coaches hardly ever question a call. if they want too, they request to come to the scorer's table and show the error from the rule book.
Better bring their rule book with them. That's my rule book on the table.
No rule book no discussion, That's a UNS 1 team point deduction.
Step on the mat during the action UNS 1 team point deduction

They do growl under their breath but for most part they're coaching their wrestlers.         

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »

Sorry coach but I'm going to downgrade you on the play where your QB threw a pick 6!  :puke:
That was a terrible time for YOU to call that play, AND, since you lost by 4, I believe that play cost you the game!   :sTiR:
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum