Author Topic: General Instructions for Football Game and Play Clock Operators - 2019  (Read 9926 times)

Offline Zap

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Re: General Instructions for Football Game and Play Clock Operators - 2019
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »
One problem I noticed so far with their guidelines is that the play clock is set to :25 for any injury. So with :40 left in the game a third down play just ended and we have a team B injury, we just went from team A being able to run the clock out to play clock set to :25 and forcing team A to run a 4th down play and might give the ball back to team B with :10ish seconds. I guess this also applies to a helmet off too for the defense. I think they should look at making this two situations set to a :40 second play clock.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 09:32:31 PM »
One problem I noticed so far with their guidelines is that the play clock is set to :25 for any injury. So with :40 left in the game a third down play just ended and we have a team B injury, we just went from team A being able to run the clock out to play clock set to :25 and forcing team A to run a 4th down play and might give the ball back to team B with :10ish seconds. I guess this also applies to a helmet off too for the defense. I think they should look at making this two situations set to a :40 second play clock.

I agree.  The only counter argument to this is that in the 25 sec clock days, we'd still stop for the injury and you couldn't run the clock out then either.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 06:08:23 AM »
The 40 second clock is not intended to change the way we handle ordinary stoppages, it's only intent according to our clear instructions is to make the flow of the game and timing between plays consistent from opening kickoff to final whistle.   It's effectively to make the goal of +/- 15 seconds prior to the RFP a rule.   :)
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Zap

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 07:19:08 PM »
The 40 second clock is not intended to change the way we handle ordinary stoppages, it's only intent according to our clear instructions is to make the flow of the game and timing between plays consistent from opening kickoff to final whistle.   It's effectively to make the goal of +/- 15 seconds prior to the RFP a rule.   :)

I 100% agree with you. However, you can't ignore the fact that a smart coach will use the fact that a injury can get the play clock set to :25, thus in the given situation I stated above, would allow team B an advantage using the new rule.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 02:09:13 PM »
I 100% agree with you. However, you can't ignore the fact that a smart coach will use the fact that a injury can get the play clock set to :25, thus in the given situation I stated above, would allow team B an advantage using the new rule.

I agree but as bossman said that is true with a 25 second play clock as well. If it wasn't a problem then it's not a problem now. NCAA did modify their play clock rules in the second season to set the play clock to 40 any time there is a B injury or B helmet off situation. That would have been a difficult problem to solve with a 25-second clock other than starting the game clock as soon as the injury was clear and then starting the 25-second clock when it got under 25. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 40-second scenario for B injuries/helmets in the future.