Author Topic: Is hands to the face a penalty under NFHS rules?  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Is hands to the face a penalty under NFHS rules?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2022, 08:49:41 AM »
Rumor afoot to add 'hands to the face' as a 15 yarder....stay tuned  8]

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2022, 10:04:45 AM »
Rumor afoot to add 'hands to the face' as a 15 yarder....stay tuned  8]

Good idea (for clarification purposes), and like  all UNR penalties, it will be governed by the calling official's JUDGMENT as to what has been observed on a specific instance.

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 09:57:58 AM »
It's IUH.  Trying to extrapolate it to a defenseless player foul or UNR isn't necessary.

Not trying to get the pile of bricks emoji, but...

There absolutely has to be a line somewhere between IUH foul and UNR foul. It doesn't take a huge imagination to create a scenario where IUH is bad enough for it to be turned into UNR.

FWIW - I have no heartache with this being a very fine line in the name of safety. Just because 9-2-1 & 9-2-3 mostly fit doesn't mean every possible "incorrect block" is IUH. Suppose a blocker decided to "block" by grabbing his opponent by the throat with both hands and driving him backwards with that contact? I'd immediately categorize this as UNR and not IUH.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2023, 10:46:43 AM »
Not trying to get the pile of bricks emoji, but...

There absolutely has to be a line somewhere between IUH foul and UNR foul. It doesn't take a huge imagination to create a scenario where IUH is bad enough for it to be turned into UNR.

FWIW - I have no heartache with this being a very fine line in the name of safety. Just because 9-2-1 & 9-2-3 mostly fit doesn't mean every possible "incorrect block" is IUH. Suppose a blocker decided to "block" by grabbing his opponent by the throat with both hands and driving him backwards with that contact? I'd immediately categorize this as UNR and not IUH.

Unfortunately, "the BLIND cannot see", but those who simply REFUSE TO LOOK, actually choose to not see, so their blindness is by CHOICE.  Hands can wind up contacting the face in an endless variety of ways, those that do so satisfying the intent, or actual effect, of violating 9-2, as judged by the covering game Official as dangerous or gaining an unfair advantage, whether intentional or not, violate the intent & purpose of 9-2.

The antidote to avoid suffering penalty is clear & obvious for EVERYONE - Stay away from contacting an opponent's face, OR RISK CONSEQUENCES.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 10:51:13 AM by AlUpstateNY »