Author Topic: Fair Catch / Free Kick Options  (Read 1518 times)

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Fair Catch / Free Kick Options
« on: February 04, 2023, 08:30:05 PM »
1) R fair catches a punt at midfield.
2) R / A decides to forego the free kick and runs a play from scrimmage.
3) On that play, A is flagged for ineligible receiver downfield and the penalty is accepted.

Does the free kick remain an option for A?  We've talked before about how a foul on the DEFENSE keeps that option alive but what about a foul on the OFFENSE?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Fair Catch / Free Kick Options
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 09:05:10 PM »
3) On that play, A is flagged for ineligible receiver downfield and the penalty is accepted.

Does the free kick remain an option for A?  We've talked before about how a foul on the DEFENSE keeps that option alive but what about a foul on the OFFENSE?

Yes, if the penalty is accepted, the original down is repeated.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 09:40:32 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 05:58:36 AM »
Agree with YankeeAl , An anoyher example is :

(1) FC @ K;s 35;
  (2) choice to free kick made;
  (3) kick is good while K2 punches R1;
  (4) K2 sent home and ball sent back to 50;
  (5) K decides to be A and take snap.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 05:59:11 AM »

It’s the replay of the down that’s important, so yes, the free kick option comes back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 06:05:03 AM »
In J12's topic. would be explain to the offended team's coach /captain that the FK/snap option would again rear it's head  :sTiR: ?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 06:26:19 AM »
In J12's topic. would be explain to the offended team's coach /captain that the FK/snap option would again rear it's head  :sTiR: ?
Personally, I never have. I assume if they want to they will let me know, or at least ask the question.

OAN, I had my first free kick after a fair catch this past season. I’ve been doing this 32 years…

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 07:48:00 AM »
K can also rechoose where to spot the ball.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 12:04:15 PM »
K can also rechoose where to spot the ball.

Long time ago, as a younger HL, had a team elect to Free Kick after receiving a FC.  The (experienced) R got all of us quickly Up-to Date and set up properly.  The (now R) HC went ballistic, venturing out to, around the #s, questioning the set up.

The R, calmly signaled TO, "R" and proceeded to walk towards the HC,

When he arrived to where the HC was standing, he stopped,momentarily, said NOTHING & continued to walk (alone) to the sideline.

At the sideline, he stopped, on the field, facing the sideline & turned his head to beckon the HC to join him "Behind" the sideline.

The Coach did, stopping where directed (behind his sideline, facing the R, with his back to the bench (& spectators)

The Coach was invited to speak WITHOUT GESTURES, calmly & civily, and ask his question/comment.

The R then spoke for about 2 minutes, explaining the rule, rejecting calmly, any interruptions.

After the HC, somewhat begrudgingly, accepted the explanation,

the R advised him he was being charged with a TO, and returned to the field, to restart the game.

that exact, step by step, sequence was burned into my brain, and subsequently used many times when I had "some explaining" to do at a sideline, and I've NEVER had that exact approach backfire. 

Additionally, it helps set/maintain a positive tone for the remainder of the game.

(oh yea, the kid make the kick scored 3 points, and "the beat went on".)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 08:30:37 PM »

Yes, due to replaying the down.
No, I'm not reminding the coach he can do this.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 07:38:19 AM »
I agree that asking the coach is sorta' like asking the scored upon coach if he wishes to kickoff or receive. IMHO, the only reason to ask is a selfish one, you need it to complete your bucket list.  :)

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 10:50:50 AM »
I agree that asking the coach is sorta' like asking the scored upon coach if he wishes to kickoff or receive. IMHO, the only reason to ask is a selfish one, you need it to complete your bucket list.  :)
Ralph, respectfully disagree, a little.  When "unique" circumstances exist (close score, late in the game, botched/poor original FK) and "A's" 1st play from scrimmage includes a foul by B, where the result of the play, plus the penalty yardage dramatically improve field position (to try a FG), reminding the HC of this extremely rare opportunity may well be appropriate, under the guise of "forewarned is forearmed", and eliminates any "Why didn't you tell me" post game complaints.

Of course, if the FG attempt option is selected, there will likely follow the need for detailed explanation to the opposing HC and a "cluster****" of assistance necessary getting both teams properly lined up in a FK formation.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 02:05:18 PM »
when ever anybody talks about this free kick after fair catch rule the scenario is always after a punt but don't forget you can free catch a free kick and I have seen some video of team doing just that when it came to giving a fair catch signal when K is attempting an on side or pooch kick.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 06:22:30 AM »
when ever anybody talks about this free kick after fair catch rule the scenario is always after a punt but don't forget you can free catch a free kick and I have seen some video of team doing just that when it came to giving a fair catch signal when K is attempting an on side or pooch kick.
....good point, Derek, I couls see this hapening following a free kick after a safety. once had a coach ask me : " If my punt return guy was stupid enough to make a fair catch at his one yard line, could I be smart enough to choose to free kick from there than to end up punting from my endline after a failed first down  ??? " Answer :YES, but would need a prevailing gale-force wind to turn it into 3 points.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 07:01:16 AM »
....good point, Derek, I couls see this hapening following a free kick after a safety. once had a coach ask me : " If my punt return guy was stupid enough to make a fair catch at his one yard line, could I be smart enough to choose to free kick from there than to end up punting from my endline after a failed first down  ??? " Answer :YES, but would need a prevailing gale-force wind to turn it into 3 points.
Actually, that’s not a bad idea. Instead of risking a pint block for a TD or a safety, they would have the security of kicking away with no rush. However, the return guy would do grass drills at practice the next week. 

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 10:04:26 AM »
Calhoun and Ralph I like the way you guys think.  ^good ^good I had never considered that but it makes total sense in the right situation!

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 01:13:37 PM »

The risk to reward ratio on this is high, but I could see them trying to do a squib/pooch-onside kick and try to recover the ball 20-30 yards downfield.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 05:54:21 PM »
Actually, that’s not a bad idea. Instead of risking a pint block for a TD or a safety, they would have the security of kicking away with no rush. However, the return guy would do grass drills at practice the next week. 

I think the more common scenario for this play to occur would involve:

1. Very short time remaining in either Half, or game.
2. Receiving team down by 3, or less, points.
3. Either really bad/Tipped punt, being fielded (F/C) near mid field.
4. R's 1st play from scrimmage, a sizeable gain ending with a defensive penalty, which combines to bring the next spot within FG range.
5. After penalty, very short time remaining.
6. selecting FK provides for a (virtually) obstruction/block free opportunity to score a FG.
7. K has a much better Kicker, than a planned "Hail Mary" play & passer.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 06:57:20 AM »
As Yankee Al expressed, the stars would have to align for this to be feasible for a team. I had a lengthy discussion with a coach this past season who had a kicker that put more than half of his kickoffs into the end zone. His interest dwindled after the following discussion....

COACH : "What happens if I miss ?"
ME : "The opponents get the ball, just like a kickoff."
COACH : "Why wouldn't I just coach a drive ,that could end up with a field goal attempt ?"
ME : "You have a kicker that can reach from midfield, AND if it was very late in a half AND 3 points ment something AND you made a valiid fair catch, it might be a good choice."
COACH : "Would you guys and the opponents know what to do ?"
ME: "We would and would explain to the opponents to just line up like a kickoff."

EPILOGUE : His team won 64-6, and returned every kick. This will be on my bucket list until I kick the bucket. 8]