Author Topic: Illegal formation  (Read 3432 times)

Offline #92

• FAN REACTION: +3/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Illegal formation
« on: November 13, 2016, 06:32:48 AM »
On the last play (#36) of 2016 Game Video Review 3 RR states that the Right Tackle is "in the backfield" and the foul is that there are too many players in the backfield.

Indeed, as per Rule 2-27-4-a-1 the RT is not a lineman because he is neither the snapper, neither does his "head break the plane of the line drawn through the waistline of the snapper".
But as per Rule 2-27-4-d-1 the RT is not a back, because his "head or shoulder breaks the plane of the line drawn through the waistline of the nearest Team A lineman".

So I would think the foul here is not against Rule 7-1-4-4 ("No more than four players may be backs."), but against Rule 7-1-4-2 ("All players must be either linemen or backs.").

Going one step further:

#44 is a back, because his "head or shoulder doesn't break the plane of the line drawn through the waistline of the nearest Team A lineman" (being #88).
However, #28, who is on the same yardline as #44 is not a back, bacause "head or shoulder breaks the plane of the line drawn through the waistline of the nearest Team A lineman" (being #55).

In my opinion, this also would be an illegal formation as per Rule 7-1-4-2.

Or am I getting too technical on this?

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-284
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Illegal formation
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »
We've been given guidance that the penalty announcement when we have 11 players in formation and do not have 7 players on the LOS (7 legal linemen), should be " ... too many players in the backfield" or alternately "... more than 4 players in the backfield."

I guess technically that's not the same as saying that we have 5 backs?  ;D

There is still wording that needs "improvement" shared between rule 2 and rule 7 regarding linemen, interior linemen, and backs.  This is one example, and the long discussion in another thread regarding scrimmage kick formation rules and the numbering exception is another.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:24:40 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Illegal formation
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »
I don't think you want to be too technical when dealing with the slot receivers and ends out wide.  As long as they have a stagger between the two of them so that we know they are, "on" or "off". 

Offline Ironmanerik

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
Illegal formation
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:56 AM »
I don't think you want to be too technical when dealing with the slot receivers and ends out wide.  As long as they have a stagger between the two of them so that we know they are, "on" or "off".
👍🏻If I have any stagger I'm going to do my best to make it legal. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk